Honestly, I am not quite sure how this recipe got its name, but I think it’s because John Wayne loved casseroles too!
I know some people aren’t a huge fan of casseroles, but as a mom, I absolutely love them. It’s so nice to be able to throw something together and walk away and get more done while it’s cooking.
Also, it doesn’t hurt that my kids eat this WITHOUT COMPLAINING! It is a hit in our house. I’ve even considered doubling the batch so I actually get to have some leftovers. That’s another reason casseroles are one of my favorite things to make, who doesn’t love leftovers?
Want to check out some more awesome casserole recipes? Take a look at our homemade green bean casserole without condensed soup, chicken enchilada casserole, and of course our super popular million dollar casserole! Do yourself a favor and bookmark these because you will be making them over and over again!
UPDATE YOUR SHOPPING LIST WITH THESE INGREDIENTS!
JOHN WAYNE CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS:
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning mix package
- Sour cream
- Light mayonnaise
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Bisquick biscuit mix
- Green bell pepper
- Roma tomatoes
- Can of green chilies
If you make a lot of taco recipes you might even consider making your own (maybe even in bulk!) using this taco seasoning recipe from Allrecipes.com.
Another great recipe to have on hand is this homemade bisquick recipe! You can make your own and save a trip to the store!
If you don’t have light mayonnaise, you can use regular mayonnaise. Miracle whip could also be substituted, but it will give the casserole a little bit different taste.
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Other items you’ll need for this beef and biscuit casserole:
- 9×13 inch baking dish (check THIS one out)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Small mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Medium-sized pan (similar to THIS)
Related Article: Our Korean Beef and Rice is a must if you’re dealing with picky eaters!
SUPER EASY RECIPES PERFECT FOR DINNER!
Our most popular cookbook – Dinner Made Easy – is all about quick, easy, and delicious family dinner entrees. We did all the organization, all the taste-testing with picky kids, and all the hacks to cut the prep time so that you can focus on spending more time with your family.
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
The complete family meal game plan in this cookbook is arranged in seven popular categories:
30 Minutes or Less including recipes for: Skillet Pork Lo Mein, Parmesan Pork Chops, and Ham and Pineapple Pizza Roll-ups.
5 Ingredients or Less including recipes for: Easy Gnocchi Casserole, Sweet and Tangy Meatballs, and Baked Sloppy Joes.
Pantry Essentials including recipes for: Seven-Can Tortilla Soup, Crispy Coconut Strips with Pina Colada Dipping Sauce and French Dip Crescents.
Slow Cooker including recipes for: Honey Garlic Chicken, Tuscan Soup, and Mongolian Beef.
Freezer Meals including recipes for: Kung Pao Chicken, Country-Style BBQ Spareribs, and Beef and Mushrooms.
One Pan, One Pot including recipes for: One-Dish Baked Fajitas, Sunrise Skillet, and Mushroom Asparagus Chicken Stir Fry.
Casseroles including recipes for: Cheesy Chicken Quinoa Casserole, Country Breakfast Casserole, and John Wayne Casserole.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
DINNER MADE EASY with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
How to make John Wayne casserole with Bisquick:
Begin by preheating the oven to 325 degrees and spraying down your 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Then, using your medium-sized pan, brown the ground beef and then add in the taco seasoning and ¾ cup of water to the pan and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes until it begins to thicken up.
Then, in your medium mixing bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayo, half of the cheese, and half of the onion and set it aside once it’s all combined.
In another small mixing bowl, mix together the Bisquick biscuit mix and water to make the biscuit dough. Then, in the greased pan, press the dough into the bottom and about a ½ inch up the sides.
Now, in another pan saute the other half of the onions and green peppers until they are just slightly tender.
Then top the biscuits in this order:
- Cooked ground beef
- Diced tomatoes
- Sauteed green peppers and onions
- Can of green chilies
- Sour cream and cheese mixture
- Remaining cheese on top
Be sure to follow those layers for the best success! Then pop the family dinner recipe in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the edges begin to brown slightly.
IF YOU LOVE THIS EASY RECIPE, TRY OUR EASY BISCUIT CHICKEN POT PIE! WITH JUST A FEW SIMPLE INGREDIENTS, YOU’LL HAVE A DELICIOUS DINNER READY IN NO TIME!
Wonderful recipes for families on the go!
I know a lot of you have families that you are preparing dinner for and the weeknights can get hectic with everyone’s schedule with sports and other extracurricular activities.
If that is you, you need to have a look at our Youtube channel and all of the fast and easy recipes we make from start to finish!
We even have a video where we show you 4 wonderfully easy dump and go Instant Pot recipes that you can throw together on those busy nights!
More man casserole recipes even the pickiest man will love!
- COWBOY CASSEROLE (TATER TOT CASSEROLE)
- EASY HASHBROWN AND EGG BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- SLOW COOKER HAM AND POTATO CASSEROLE
- PIZZA PASTA CASSEROLE
- ONE PAN STUFFED PEPPER CASSEROLE
- SLOW COOKER TATER TOT COWBOY CASSEROLE
- CHEESY HASHBROWN POTATO CASSEROLE
- PORK CHOPS AND HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
John Wayne Casserole (Beef and Biscuit Casserole) Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 ounce taco seasoning mix 1 package
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 onion diced and divided
- 2 cups Bisquick biscuit mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 4 ounces diced green chilies 1 can
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown ground beef until no longer pink, drain grease. Then add taco seasoning and water and let simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix sour cream, mayo, half of the cheese, and half of the onion together and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together biscuit mix and water to make a soft dough. Press dough into the bottom and 1/2" up the sides of greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Saute remaining onions and green peppers until barely tender.
- On top of the biscuit, layer the remaining ingredients in this order: ground beef, diced tomatoes, green peppers and onions, green chilies, sour cream mixture, and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
- Try gluten free Bisquick to make this recipe Gluten Free Friendly
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Medium Mixing Bowl (2)
- Sauté pan
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
Questions & Reviews