Once again, brown-spotted bananas have taken over my fruit basket.
Some weeks, my kids can’t get enough of them and eat 2 or 3 bananas a day. Other weeks, the bananas sit there for so long that the bananas turn dark brown and start to shrivel up.
Unfortunately, I am not much help when it comes to the banana eating in our home. I don’t like bananas much (except for when they are covered in ice cream, peanut butter, or chocolate . . . which kind of defeats the purpose of eating a “healthy” food Ha ha).
So when they start to go brown, I snatch them up and find a yummy recipe to make with them.
One of my cute friends from my childhood posted a similar recipe on her blog, which inspired me to try my own take on a banana cake.
The results were awesome- and the butterscotch glaze that goes on top is TO. DIE. FOR. I pretty much just ate it straight out of the mixing bowl.
It just came to my head and I tried it, and it was amazing. Best frosting I have ever made from scratch.
what is the best way to store this cake?
I love this recipe, and my family does as well, that we usually don’t have any leftover. However, if you do have some leftover, the best way to store it, is putting it in the fridge.
We recommend placing it in an air tight storage container, and putting it in the fridge.
If you aren’t going to eat it for more than a week, we recommend freezing it. Again the best way to freeze it is placing it in an airtight storage container and putting it in the freezer.
It will last nicely in the freezer for about 2 weeks, and in the fridge, about 3-5 days.
To thaw it, we recommend placing it in the fridge overnight and serving it the next day. You could also give it a little microwave to make it taste like it is fresh out of the oven. It is delicious both cold and warm.
can i make this in a 9×13 inch pan?
For this recipe, I have only made it in the form of a bunt cake, however, you could easily switch it up and make it using a 9×13 inch pan. You may need to adjust the cooking time, and lower the temperature a bit, since it won’t be as thick, and will probably cook a little faster.
banana cake add ins:
This cake is delicious as is with the butterscotch chips. However if you don’t like butterscotch, here are a few add ins we highly recommend:
- M & M’s
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Chocolate Chips
- Walnuts or pecans
- Cream cheese swirls
watch how to make another banana favorite, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
These Nutella Banana Coconut Hot Pockets make the perfect dessert, breakfast, or snack. They are full of flavor and the perfect way to put ripe bananas to use. Watch how to make them, here:
looking for more banana recipes? here are a few of our favorite:
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Cream Dessert Salad
- No Bake Banana Cream Pie Cake
- Frozen Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Bites
- Chocolate Banana Blender Muffins
BUTTERSCOTCH BANANA BUNDT CAKE RECIPE
- 1 (15 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) butterscotch instant pudding mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
Butterscotch Glaze Recipe:
- 1 Tablespoon butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or spray with non-stick cooking spray) a bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry cake mix (don't prepare it as directed on the box), dry pudding mix (don't prepare it as directed on the box), water, eggs, and oil. Combine until fully incorporated.
- Add the mashed bananas into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased bundt pan and bake for 45-48 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean).
- Pull the cake out of the oven when finished baking and let cool for about 45 minutes before inverting onto a plate.
- When the cake has cooled, top with Butterscotch Glaze and serve.
- Mix together all ingredients (add more milk to make it more runny or add more powdered sugar to thicken it up) and drizzle on top of cake.
Looking to eat healthier? Sign-up to receive a healthy menu plan and shopping list in your inbox every week!
EACH HEALTHY MENU PLAN INCLUDES:
- A WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 6 MAIN DISH RECIPES
- 2 SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 1 SNACK/TREAT RECIPE
- DETAILED SHOPPING LIST
Every recipe in the menu plan is 500 calories or less per serving and includes nutrition information to help you stay on track!
Learn more, view sample menu plans and join HERE!