I’ve had my Instant Pot for just over 2 years and I am still learning! Every recipe is fun to experiment with! With those experiments, I have learned a lot especially when it comes to things that I should not do! These 9 Instant Pot Don’ts will hopefully help someone that is just starting out and learning how maneuver around the Instant Pot!
1. READ THE MANUAL. Now don’t get mad at me for saying this one, but you REALLY need to read your instructions! Ha Ha! I get many questions on how to do certain things, which they would know about if they read even the brief summary in the intro! Although I love answering questions, when hundreds of them roll in, I don’t quite have time to answer them all.
If you’ve lost your manual, don’t worry! You can find the instruction manual HERE.
2. DON’T PRESSURIZE WITHOUT LIQUID! An Instant Pot without some sort of liquid when pressurizing won’t actually pressurize! You need a 1/2 cup to a cup of water, broth, etc, in order for it to work!
3. DON’T FORGET “SEALING!” forget to put your pressure cooker on SEALING when trying to pressurize! If it is not on sealing, it won’t pressurize and won’t cook right!
4. DON’T STICK YOUR HAND OVER THE VENT when your recipe calls for a quick release! That means you are going to move it to venting after your timer beeps. Either wear on oven mitt, or just watch where your hand is placed. You will get burned if your hand is over the vent!
5. DON’T OVERFILL YOUR INSTANT POT! If you do this, your Instant pot will take FOREVER to pressurize, it actually might not pressurize, or it might not even close! I like to stick to the rule of 2 lines under the MAX line (so at the 4L mark when using a 6 quart)
6. DO NOT PUT YOUR STEEL BOWL ON THE STOVETOP! It is made just for the Instant pot and will be ruined if you put it on a burner or in your oven!
7. DON’T QUICK RELEASE FOAMY FOODS! Don’t do a quick release (or turn the knob to venting) when cooking foods that make foam when they cook. For example: Lots of rice, lots of potatoes, thick soup, etc. If you do, you will have whatever is in your Instant Pot ALL OVER your kitchen!
(Quick Tip, you can place a paper towel over your vent if you need to do a quick release and just let it spray into the paper towel! Just know, you might have to change out your paper towel, 2 or 3 times before it is done depressurizing.)
8. DON’T FORGET TO SET THE TIMER! You got all your food in there and it looks great, you put your lid on and…. you forget to set the timer. So by the time you go and check on your food (because if should be done) it is STILL there and not cooked! Yes, I have done this a few times so that is why it is on the list!
9. DON’T FORGET TO PLAN WITH PRESSURIZE TIME!
The hardest part about reading a recipe and thinking it “only takes 8 minutes!” is that it might only cook for 8 minutes once it is pressurized, but to pressurize actually takes 10-20! So be sure to add that extra time on so your food will be ready for dinner!
Check out the video of my 9 Instant Pot Don’ts!!!
Just a few more tips:
This is the Instant Pot I have (yes it is the cheaper one and I love it!): http://amzn.to/2F3Lznx
If you are cooking for 1-2 people, I would suggest the 3 Quart. If you are cooking for more, I would suggest the 6 quart! Or if you dare… even the 8 quart!
Every Monday I’m sharing an Instant Pot Recipe on our Youtube!
Subscribe to our channel here: http://bit.ly/SixSistersSubscribe
Need some Instant Pot Ideas? These are some of our favorite recipes! http://bit.ly/2Dxxajb