Earlier this summer, my family and I made the trek down to Meadow, Utah to spend some time with my husband’s extended family. My husband’s dad grew up there and one of his great-great-great grandfather’s (I am not sure how many greats) actually settled the town back in the 1800’s. This little town has a fun history and it was awesome to see my kids meet their great grandfather and spend time with that side of the family- and it was so cool to see where so many of my husband’s ancestors were buried. I am such a sucker for family history (and old, cool cemeteries!)!
Of course, we had to snap a 4 generation photo while we were down there:
(Mason is my cute little boy, then my husband is in the gray t-shirt, then my father-in-law is in the upper right corner, and my husband’s grandpa is in the bottom left corner)
For the couple days we were there, we had some fun family dinners and my husband’s cute aunt made the most delicious dip. I asked what it was and she responded with “Cowboy Caviar”. Apparently that’s a pretty popular dish and everyone knows about it . . . except for me! We have a similar dish on the blog (Black Bean and Corn Salsa), but this one had a little different flavor because of one key ingredient- Italian dressing! I know it sounds weird, but hear me out: THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! I loved it even more the next day, after the flavors melded together overnight.
Trust me – you will love it!
- 5-6 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
- ½ medium onion, diced (I used a purple onion)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapenos (more or less, depending on how hot you prefer it)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup Italian dressing (I used Wishbone Robusto Italian)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Mix together tomatoes, black beans, corn, onion, avocado, green pepper, and jalapenos in a large bowl. Sprinkle garlic powder on top, then stir in dressing and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips (I suggest using the "scoop" chips- you are going to want to get a lot of this with every bite!).
(There are many recipes for Cowboy Caviar- this is the one my family uses. Many people add black-eyed peas – feel free to do what you like!)
Have you checked out our new website, Six Sisters’ Style?
We share our tips and secrets on clothing, fashion on a budget, style, beauty, and so much more!