- Posted on
- 7 Comments
I love Cafe Rio in Utah. It is one of my all-time favorite places to eat. Their sweet pork is one of my all-time favorite meats - and it could really go in anything. We've shared our love for their Sweet Pork Salad (which is absolutely delicious) - but I can't get enough of their quesadillas. I order them every single time I go! I'll try and branch out a little bit and decide to get something else, but then when they ask "what would you like?" I automatically answer "Sweet Pork Quesadillas, please!" It's like I can't help myself.
I made it three whole weeks in California without eating them. Yesterday I couldn't take it anymore, so I slow cooked the meat all day and made them for dinner. They are spot on! And they are best served with our Cilantro Lime Ranch!
- 1-2 lb pork roast (you can use shoulder, butt or loin)
- 8 oz chunky salsa
- 1 12-oz can Dr. Pepper
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 10 tortillas
- 2-3 cups Colby Jack Cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, lettuce, salsa, etc.
- Put the pork in the slow cooker, and fill with water until it reaches halfway up the roast.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Drain the water and cut the pork in thirds.
- Mix together salsa, Dr. Pepper, and brown sugar and pour over the pork.
- Cook on low for 3 more hours.
- Drain the liquid (reserving just a little bit to mix with the pork) and shred the pork. Mix the shredded pork with the reserved liquid.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or pan to medium heat, place a tortilla on the heated griddle.
- Sprinkle on about ½ cup cheese and a ½ cup pork and place a second tortilla on top.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tortilla is golden brown, turning over halfway through.
- Repeat 3-4 more times.
Be sure to check out our new Six Sisters' Store where you can find all our favorite kitchen and baking supplies, plus our cookbooks!