Honey Walnut Shrimp

My husband and I love Panda Express. We eat there probably a lot more than we should! ;) We've been trying to eat more in our home, like our baked sweet and sour chicken. While we were eating it - I realized I could do the same thing - with shrimp (that's my favorite dish at Panda Express). I found a recipe for a honey sauce - and it was SO good! The perfect amount of sweetness with the crunchy battered shrimp!

honey-walnut-shrimp

Honey Walnut Shrimp
Ingredients:

4 egg whites
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup canola oil
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup candied walnuts

In a medium bowl, whip egg whites until they start to get foamy. Mix in 1 cup of cornstarch until it makes a paste. In a large skillet, heat canola oil on medium-high heat. Dip each shrimp in the cornstarch mixture, and then fry it in the canola oil until it starts to brown (it will only take 3-5 minutes). Remove shrimp and set aside, letting them cool slightly.

In a small bowl, mix together honey, mayonnaise, and sweetened condensed milk. You can toss the shrimp into the bowl and coat them directly, or drizzle the sauce over the shrimp. Top with candied walnuts and serve.
Serves 4

Recipe from: All Recipes

Looking for more dinner recipes? Try these:
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
P.F. Chang's Mongolian Beef Copycat Recipe
Chinese Chicken Stir-Fried Rice
Homemade General Tso's Chicken
20-Minute Skillet Pork Lo Mein

StephSignature-001 - Copy

1. Lauren says:

OH YES!!!!! The restaurant that serves this dish closed down without notice and every restaurant I ask thinks I’m crazy for knowing about it…anyway, Thanks so much!! This is one of my favs!!

2. Jenn says:

This is my favorite dish at Panda too! And sadly, I passed my love of this dish onto my 6 year old. It’s the only thing he’ll order there! They lure you in with this deliciousness then charge an extra $1 for it (at leaat thats whats up in AZ)! I cannot WAIT to make this!

3. A Walser says:

I made this tonight, and it was AMAZING! It’s better than Panda Express. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, for the great recipe!

4. Tara says:

I wanna make this but with chicken. What do you think? Any suggestions or could I basically swap out chicken for shrimp and follow directions exactly the same (making sure chicken is cooked all the way through of course)

5. Haley Grossman says:

OMG…I have never had Panda Express but this looks soooo similar to my Honey Almond Shrimp recipe. I was copy-catting one of my favorite Chinese restaurants that used to be called The Panda (it is now called the Red Pavillion). I use boxed tempura batter but the honey sauce is nearly the same. Almonds instead of candied walnuts, and I serve it over a bed of sliced cabbage. I am excited to try it with walnuts. Thanks for sharing!

6. MaryK says:

This sounds simply wonderful but my frugal mind is having an issue with it! Since it only calls for 2 Tb condensed milk, what can I do with the rest of the can so as not to waste it?

7. Nikki says:

I’ve made this recipe twice! LOVE IT!
    The second time I added just a touch of sriacha and it gave it a subtle spicy kick.

The first time I made this recipe, I used raw shrimp, and I found that some of them were unevenly cooked, The second time I boiled the shrimp just for a few seconds them patted them dry before dredging in the cornstarch, seemed to work a little bit better but make sure not to overcook them!!