Slow Cooker 3 Cheese Broccoli Soup

3 cheese broccoli soup

Whenever I order soup at a restaurant, I go for the broccoli and cheese soup.  I thought I would put my slow cooker to the test and make my own broccoli cheese soup.  After a few tries to get this recipe just right, the third time was the charm.   Be sure to read my tips very carefully!  :)

Slow Cooker 3 Cheese Broccoli Soup:

2 Tablespoons butter or margarine

1/2 onion, finely chopped

1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

1 carton (32 oz)chicken broth (4 cups)

2 cups of broccoli cut small (you can use fresh or frozen)

1/2 teaspoon of pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

8 oz of prepared cheese product, cut into cubes (I used Velveeta)

1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese

1  cup shredded parmesan cheese

In a skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook onion in butter until tender.

Pour in the chicken broth, onions, butter, milk, broccoli, pepper and salt into the slow cooker and mix well.

Cover; cook on low heat  for 4 hours.

Add cheese cubes to slow cooker; stir until melted. Add 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese; stir until melted. TURN OFF THE SLOW COOKER- don’t even put it on warm. Just warning  you, the cheese will curdle. :)

Sprinkle individual servings with additional Cheddar cheese.

Looking for other delicious Soups?
Here are some of my favorites!
Tomato Tortellini Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Stuffed Pepper Soup
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
Crock Pot Beef Stew

If you like our recipes then you will LOVE our cookbook!

Cookbook Image

Our cookbook makes a wonderful gift (and it’s priced right at less than $18!) . . . you can check it out HERE.

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

• Cyd says

Just click on the MAGIC button under the picture. This is our new sister site – It gives you all of the nutrtitional information on our recipes. You can click on NUTRITION and find more nutritional info.

1. Gay Freeman says

I’ve made your cheese/broccoli soup twice. First time was perfect…..2nd time it curdled! I followed your directions except I added all the cheese at once…could this be the problem? Why?!

2. Lynne says

Hi, I tried this last night- followed the recipe to a T except for the onions- I’ve never had onions in a broccoli cheese soup. Unfortunately it turned out awful- it was not thick at all- tasted like watered down Velveeta. Maybe a thickening ingredient is missing like heavy cream? I have made many soups in my slow cooker and I’m a bit of a soup snob. Any suggestions?

3. Kate says

Hi there. I followed this recipe and unfortunately it turned out horribly. I have no idea what went wrong but it has no flavor except butter. I had a bad feeling about it though when I saw that the only thickening agent was velveeta (not even real cheese). Two thumbs down, sorry.

4. Kris says

Just wanted to let you know: This isn’t vegetarian due to the chicken broth involved.

That being said … my husband LOVES this recipe. It’s his favorite soup and he gets excited like a kid when I do make it :)
    I’ve made it several times and to help keep from clumping: stir constantly. Wait until most of the velveeta cube you cut dissolves.
    We’ve also used this with an off-brand type velveeta and I think it tastes better ^_^

5. PJ says

Found this recipe last year and have make it many times (many many many many times!!!!) We’ve added a few things that have helped to spice it (not all together): smoked paprika, chili seasoning for a bit of heat, garlic, and nutmeg. I’ve also started adding in butternut squash soup base to get a thicker broth as well as more veggies into my family’s diet. It doesn’t effect the flavor much but does help to thicken the soup. I’ve also taken out the chicken broth to make this a vegetarian soup but my hubby said its not as good as with the chicken broth (but he’s a meat eater so what does he know!) And yes, I’ve double the recipe because I’ve got a huge slow cooker. Thank you so much for this great recipe!