Fall Off The Bone BBQ Ribs

Fall Off The Bone BBQ Ribs

Father's Day is one week away . . . and I have the perfect dinner idea for you!

I love a good BBQ- and I am actually returning home from a weekend in Texas today where I had some AMAZING BBQ (you just can't find BBQ like that in Utah!). Anyway, I came across this recipe a couple of years ago and it's now my go-to recipe for special occasions or when I need to impress my dinner guests.

These ribs will make everyone thing that you slaved all day, but all you have to do is pop them in the slow cooker with 2 simple ingredients, let them simmer all day, then throw them on the grill for a couple of minutes while you slather them in BBQ sauce. It couldn't be any easier and the ribs literally fall apart from slow cooking all day. And even though they are fully cooked, the grilling is icing on the cake- the BBQ sauce turns to a sticky glaze and they are incredibly delicious.

I promise that your dinner guests will be in BBQ heaven if you make these!

(Warning: you will need A LOT of napkins to clean your hands off when you are done!)

Fall Off The Bone BBQ Ribs
Ingredients:
1 (2-3 lb) rack of ribs (I use pork loin ribs)
3 1/2 cups pineapple juice (reserving 1/4 cup for later)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 (16 oz) bottle BBQ sauce (I love Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy sauce)

Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray (or use a slow cooker liner to make clean up a breeze!).

IMG_7950

Take your slab of ribs (make sure that they are defrosted) and cut into individual slabs (about 2-3 ribs each). Throw the ribs into the slow cooker.
Mix the pineapple juice and brown sugar together and pour over the ribs. Put the lid back on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 7-8 hours or LOW for 10-12 hours.

After they are done in the slow cooker, use tongs to gently pull them out (they will literally fall apart when you touch them). Turn the grill on medium heat. While the grill is warming up, mix together the bottle of BBQ sauce and the 1/4 cup of pineapple juice you saved from earlier.

Place the ribs gently on the grill and and brush with BBQ sauce. Turn the ribs twice, slathering with more sauce each time (you can't have enough sauce!); they will take about 10-15 minutes to glaze over (as soon as that sauce starts to turn sticky, you know they are done!).

Serve immediately and enjoy!

Recipe slightly adapted from Domestication in Progress.

Looking for more grilling recipes?
BBQ Bacon Burgers
Southwest Seven Layer Slider
Grilled Tuscan Pork Chops
Mom's Sizzlin' Steak Recipe
5 Star Grilled Teriyaki Chicken

Cookbook Image

Our cookbook makes a wonderful gift (and it's priced right at less than $18!) . . . you can check it out HERE.

Camille Sig

• Cyd says:

Oh man… I didn’t notice a membrane on my ribs! Ha ha! That sounds disgusting! But I ate it and survived!! Ha ha ha!

• Annie says:

Just want to say, I have been making this same ribs recipe for years, but used Chris & pits, now use Trader Joe’s BBQ sauce.
      Although you do not need all that Sugar, or pineapple juice!

I boil my ribs first. till they almost fall off the bone. Boiling takes off most of the yucky fat, and makes them Tender.
      That said, After I boil them, wash them off (fatty) I line a cookie sheet or two, with tin-foil,
      put the sauce on them , and bake them in the oven.350, or higher..The ribs to die for..

• Shelby says:

I made em.. taste good but when you pull em outta of the crock pot they are literately falling off the bone and when you cut them it turns into BBQ pulled pork.. I’m with you! Boil first and I’m in a rush I will bake em.. cuz I love the BBQ taste :) )
        IMHO The cooking time is too long!

• Tina Turner says:

Hi Ann,

I read your comment about your “to die for ” ribs recipe. I like the simplicity of it. Can you tell me how long you bake them for?

• Cyd says:

We have only made these ribs in the slow cooker. You can go to our sister site – MyRecipeMagic.com and type in Ribs in the search bar. A lot of rib recipes will come up. Hope this helps!!

• jenny says:

oh, now I can’t imagine boiled meat being any good at all. I;ll take BBQ done the old fashioned way, smoked low and slow and never boiled or baked, My husband doesn’t like any chew to his ribs at all though, so I might try this for his…

1. Karen bowen says:

I am sooo going to try these but I’m going to be in my hometown of Austin visiting relatives next week. Where did you originally have these?

2. Deon@ipinnedit.com says:

I think you have officially solved my dilemma of what to make for our Father’s Day shindig! These ribs look a.maz.ing. I’m wondering whether I could cook them in the slow cooker a day ahead of time and put them in the fridge, then pull them out when it is time to BBQ them on the grill with the sauce? I’m going to try it! Thanks, Camille!

• Cyd says:

I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. Good luck on your Father’s day dinner. Let us know how it turns out! :)

3. Kayleigh says:

Um, this may be a silly question, but how are you supposed to grill them if they fall apart right out of tbd crock pot? I’d like to make these for Farther’s Day dinner!

4. Awade64 says:

We love Kansas City Ribs. Unfortunately, we don’t live there anymore. I used your crockpot method and then slathered them in JackStack bbq sauce (our favorite). These were the best ribs I’ve ever made. So easy, too.

5. Kathy says:

Since they will be falling apart after coming out of the crock pot, could you put foil on the grill just to make sure they don’t fall apart and fall through? Or will that affect how they cook?

6. pt says:

If they are really hard to handle and put on the grill, you can use one of those grilling baskets (we usually put marinated veggies in them) to keep them from falling into the grates…

7. olivia says:

I want to make these today, but my ribs are chopped up into singles. i cant remember how many would equal a slab. Lol, help me please. And can i do the sauce inside the crocpot? i didnt want to grill.

• Cyd says:

We would say that you needs about 20 ribs. And you can put the sauce in the crock pot, but they won’t be “glazed” and will have a different taste .

8. Lauren says:

I made these ribs last night, and holy smokes they were awesome! I cook a lot of pinterest recipes and this is one of the BEST!!! I followed the recipe exactly, just changed out the BBQ sauce for some sticky fingers sauce:) VERY easy and VERY good:)

9. GiGi says:

I just made these tonight for Fathers’ Day! They were WONDERFUL! I prepared them exactly as stated and they were just perfect! Def a keeper and already have requests to make them again!

10. Jill Smith says:

looks Hmmmm delicious can’t wait to try it have high blood pressure and high cholesterol so I will use the beef ribs ! Thanks for sharing your delicious recipes with us!

11. Reenie says:

Made these ribs and the grandkids loved them and said they were better than their dads. Now I will call it my secret recipe. Thank you

12. Krista Low says:

This recipe looks absolutely amazing! The meat would be deliciously tender from cooking in the crock pot and then the sauce would caramelize and get the great flavor from finishing off on the heat of the grill! I will be trying this one out this summer. My husband will love you :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

• Cyd says:

Just click on the MAGIC button under the picture and then click on NUTRITION. It will give you the servings, calories, and weight watcher points and so much more. Hope this helps!

13. Astrid says:

I just made these…SOOO Tasty…The meat realy fell rigt off the bone…I prepard them 6 hours on high and 2 hours on low in the crockpot en then 10 minutes on the bbq and added some honey to the bbqsause and pineappeljuice.

14. Marianne Sue says:

Camille, I made these ribs in my slow cooker yesterday. I was very skeptical that they would be too sweet, but I followed your instructions anyway since they received such good comments. I was not disappointed. I put some Sweet and Spicy Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce on them and put them under the broiler. They were SO delicious! I took the leftovers to work today and made everyone drool. :)

15. Analog Girl says:

Thanks – this sounds great and is just what I’m seeking! I’m also leery of boiling meats first (unless it’s for broth such as for pho); seems to me too much of the flavors would leech out in the boiling.

16. Tima says:

I don’t own a grill. Does anyone know if I could just finish them off somehow in the oven and have a similar effect?

• Holly says:

I don’t own a grill either. I finish mine in the broiler. If you make these ahead of time I think they turn out best by putting the sauce on them. That way the meat absorbs some of the sauce.

17. mary novack says:

I made these when we were camping. Filled crockpot w/ 3-4 pound of ribs. This was the most amazing meal I’ve ever made! Four kids and hubby LOVED these. So tendy, perfectly done after 7 hours on high. Grilled about 15 minutes. FABULOUS recipe. Wouldn’t change a thing. Thank you so much for posting this! Hint: I added microwave corn on the cob to this meal – snapped 4 husked cobs in half, put on paper plate, covered w/ damp paper towel, miked for 7.5 minutes and had perfect corn to go w/ the perfect ribs!

18. Bruno says:

I made this recipe last week when my girlfriend’s mom was in town visiting since on of her favorite foods is ribs. What a GREAT recipe! Thanks so much! Since I had read on the comments that the ribs were a little hard to handle coming out of the slow cooker, what I did was let them rest for about 30-45 minutes before finishing them off on the grill. Gently using my tongs, I removed the ribs from the slow cooker and placed them onto a baking sheet covered in foil. I let the ribs rest while prepping the rest of the meal – peeled, cut and steamed the potatoes, cut and started baking the brussel spouts, prepped asparagus for grilling and warmed the grill. Then I took the ribs outside to finish with the BBQ glaze for 15 minutes. Once off the grill, all I had to do was finish the potatoes in the kitchen aid. My girlfriend and her mom were both very impressed! I have to say, these are the best ribs I’ve ever made! I’m making them again today but for more people. Do I need to change the amount of pineapple juice and brown sugar if I’m cooking 2 racks of ribs instead of one? I figured as long as the ribs were 90% covered by the liquid in the slow cooker, I’ll be okay. What do you guys think?

• Cyd says:

That is quite a group you are feeding! :) So glad they turned out. We agree with you, if they are 90% covered in the slow cooker you should be fine. May even want to rotate them part way through the cooking time.

19. Keenah says:

I made these on high for 7-8hrs but didnt grill them and they tasted fantastic, fell off the bone as they should. Though the meat was actually a bit dry, it was from walmart unfortunately but thats really the only option here, any ideas to help with this?

• Cyd says:

Low and slow is always the key for a moist and tender meat. So if you have the time, always go with the lower temperature for longer time.

20. jerry t. says:

this is from a famous chef in mass. wrap ribs in plastic wrap.place on a baking sheet.put in oven at 200 for 3 to 4 hrs.dont worry he plastic wrap will be fine.take out of oven unwrap lather with bq sauce place on grill till slightly chared.yum.

21. Shaleese says:

Had these for dinner and they were INCREDIBLE!!! Oh my gosh they were so good, with each bite my husband and I kept raving. Thank you for this recipe. We will eating ribs a lot more now. So so good!!! You guys haven’t let me don’t with recipes.

22. Gina castro says:

I agree I boil mine to for about 1 1/2 hours put them in a ziplock freezer bag to marinate for as long as you like . After I out them in broiler bout 10 min on each side omg they are amazing taste just like we did them on our BBQ pit soooooo amazing :)

23. Kenna says:

I made these for Mother’s Day. I put 3 full racks in the crock pot in the morning, came home from church service, took them out, covered them with BBQ sauce, put in the oven for 15 Min Wow!!!! deliciousness!!!!!!!!

24. Julie Porter says:

Made these for dinner tonight. AMAZING!!! I have never tasted ribs as good as these! Thank you!!

25. Brigid says:

I made these ribs for 4th of July. They were fantastic! I didn’t have 7 hrs so I baked them in the pineapple and brown sugar sauce for 3 hrs on 350. Than I made my own barbecue sauce that I always use but added the pineapple juice Instead of water. It turned out great. Thank you for the recipe.

26. Jennifer says:

Made these a couple of weeks ago they were delicious. Making them again today. But using two racks. Any suggestions on cooking time?

27. Cathy says:

I do not boil ribs; that leaves them tasteless! Rather, I put a rub on all sides of my ribs then put 4 single country style ribs/half rack/whole rack in double thick foil packets. I put an ice cube under every 2-3 ribs before folding the foil over and sealing the top and sides. I cook the packets about 30 minutes on a 325-350 degree grill. They come out steamed and tasty because of the ice and do not get burned. Be careful opening the foil packet though because of the steam. I finish the ribs on the grill with BBQ sauce. Yummy!!

28. Michelle says:

I’ve never made ribs before and I am anxious to try this one. I’m confused. Am I supposed to take the membrane off first before putting them in the crockpot? Any help would be great especially those that have already made this.

Thanks