50 Outdoor Summer Activities For Kids

I am seriously down to HOURS until my kids are done with school
and I am getting a little nervous . . .
the first few days are always fun, but then the "I'm Bored" whines and cries set in.
Ahhhh!
I rounded up some fun outdoor activities that would be perfect to chase the bored blues away and keep kids from turning into couch potatoes over the summer.
Most can be done for free or very inexpensively and you can help the kids get set-up with these activities and then let their imaginations run wild.
If you did one activity a day, it might get you through the middle of July.
After that, you are on your own! :)
1. Using an old sheet, make art on the lawn.
3. Have a read-a-thon outside (maybe in the shade if it's really hot!).
5. Play a fun game of Drip Drip Splash! (Think Duck Duck Goose with water!)
8. Make your own Hula Hoops.
10. Play Sponge Bullseye.
12. Have a Clothesline Art Show- have the kids make the art, pass our invitations, and make it happen!
13. Make your own PVC Pipe Sprinkler.
14. Play the Firefly Flashlight Game (so fun once it gets dark!)
15. Make your own liquid sidewalk chalk.
16. Paint the sidewalks with water.
17. Play a game of Bossy Ball.
19. Make your own Thrifty Sandbox (with a lid!)
20. Go on a bug hunt.
21. Have a neighborhood parade. Dress up like princesses or firemen, decorate your bikes and wagons, even throw candy if you want! Invite all the neighbors to come and watch.
23. Buy some spray bottles at the dollar store and fill with water for a water fight or add some washable paint to the bottles and spray large poster boards to make awesome art!
24. Make your own Marble Launch with a fun noodle from the dollar store.
25. Wrap a piece of masking tape around each child's wrist with the sticky side facing out. Go on a "Nature Walk" and collect items from nature (leaves, grass, small rocks, flowers, etc) and stick them on your masking tape "bracelet". Come home and compare bracelets!
26. Take chalk to a new level by drawing Chalk Dress-Up Dolls!
27. Start a garden and let the kids do a planting, watering, and weeding.
30. Make a Lemonade Stand.
32. Make these Toy Parachutes and take them to the park. Drop them from the highest points on the slides and swings.
34. Play outdoor Scrabble.
35. Have a Backyard Car Wash (my kids love to wash their bikes and scooters).
37. Find a local Farmer's Market. Come home and prepare a meal with the food purchased from the market.
38. Draw a racetrack on your driveway and race all the cars you can find!
39. Create your own outdoor movie theater (don't forget the concessions stand!).
40. Set up your own outdoor Glow-In-The-Dark Bowling.
41. Make some Pet Rocks.
42. Make your own homemade sprinkler.
43. Make root beer floats.
44. Make your own simple wind chimes.
45. Make your own jump rope.
46. Go park hopping (make a goal to play at a new park each week).
47. Do some texture rubbings on leaves, grass, and other items you find outside.
48. Play "parachute" with a large sheet (like they do in elementary school!).
49. Have a banana split party- provide the bananas and ice cream and asks guests to bring their favorite topping to share with everyone else.
50. Make your own "stomp rocket".Have a happy summer!!

1. Pat L. says:

Need ideas for a 10 year old girl’s birthday party. Got a tropical theme in mind, but don’t know what activities would keep them interested. What Games??? It’s an overnight sleep-over party.

• DJ Parry, Author "How to Start Your Own Lemonade Business" says:

Hey Pat!

How about a Hula contest, complete with grass skirts? Or a limbo stick game? If you have a firepit, you could sing songs around it after dark.

Debbie

2. Deon @ipinnedIt.com says:

Your new look is simply A-DOR-ABLE! I love, love, love it! Um, could I also mention that I love it?! Ha! Congrats, sisters!

3. kelley @ Miss Information says:

The new site looks fantastic! I have a summer bucket list group board I’m pinning this to, would love for you to join it if you want!

4. Kara says:

I love all of these ideas! I’ve done several of them with my boys and look forward to doing more this summer. Thanks for sharing! And I LOVE your new design!

5. Chelsey Sanford says:

This is one of the best,most creative lists I have seen for summer fun! Thanks for sharing. We can’t wait to try out a bunch of these ideas!

6. Diane says:

So much fun! Can’t wait to try some of these great ideas! Thank you for linking up at Family Fun Friday on HappyAndBlessedHome.com! Blessings!

7. Carrie from Carrie This Home says:

These are all GREAT ideas! I’m pinning this right now! I’m stopping by from Create It Thursday (my posts are #135 Teacher Gift Idea and #134 DIY Chalkboard Family Rules) Have a great weekend!
    CarrieThisHome.com

8. DJ Parry, Author "How to Start Your Own Lemonade Business" says:

I just stumbled across this website tonight and I think it is absolutely awesome!! So many great ideas!! Makes me want to be a kid again!!!!!!!!

9. Camesha says:

These ideas are brilliant. Every. single. one. of. them. I love the alphabet scavenger hunt. My son would really love that. Thanks for the ideas!

10. Primary Beginnings Raleigh says:

These are super ideas! I can’t wait to try some of them with my summer kids at the child care center! They could also be used when school starts back up in the Fall as well. Thanks for sharing!

11. Meghan Burch says:

Thanks for linking to our post about texture rubbings! This is a great list – makes me want to get outside!

12. Joseph Fornabaio says:

I like you list lots of things to do and get the kids out side and to put down the i pads. I think number 40 is the best .

13. Jessica Williams @ The Journey says:

Great ideas! We are sharing this post on our website. We are writing about kids and the use of electronics and did a challenge at my own home where we shut them off for a week. Passing on some tips to other parents about what other options are available for kids rather than letting them watch tv and play electronics. http://www.smallchangesbigpicture.wordpress.com

14. chris says:

Tried number 25… Both kids thought poison ivy would be cute on the “bracelets”. Went home and compared rashes…

15. Carol Bowen says:

I will be entertaining four of my five grandchildren this summer. You may have just given me the path to sanity:)

16. Brianna says:

I am happy that I have things to do with my friends and family these i am definitely going to use this summer:)♡♥♡♥♥♡♥:-);-):-Dthnx♡♥♥♥♥♥♧♣♣♧♣♣★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆

17. Jeannie Jenkins says:

Thanks for the ideas . I will try a few of these this summer . A fun thing for kids is ” kick the can” home made ice cream . Need a large metal coffee can …and a small metal coffee can with lids . Mix your ice cream recipe…pour into the small can. Place can inside the larger can ….pour ice cream salt around into the space iside of the large can . Have children sit across from each other and roll can back and forth untill ice cream is ready . You can also let them roll it back and forth with their feet while watching a movie or doing a craft . You may also add fruit to this …

18. Keke @ A Social Tech Diva says:

Great article! I linked to this from my blog for an article I wrote. Thanks for the ideas!

19. Emma says:

this was so much fun to do while baby sitting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!