50 Easy Birthday Cake Ideas

cakes

When we were small my Mom always made our birthday such a big deal. I remember in Jr. High walking to the bus stop seeing my Mom already at the bus stop with a card table covered in balloons. On the table she had donuts for all the kids at the bus stop. She is just awesome like that. I felt so special! This was just one birthday. She made every one of my sister's feel special for each of their birthdays.

Now that I have kids of my own, I love birthdays even more! One of my favorite things is making cakes.  I have no idea how to use fondant (it is on my bucket list though) so I like making cakes that I can use with just plain frosting and other things. I had SO much fun finding all of these cakes! Hope they help you!

Birthday Cake Donuts

Birthday Cake Donuts

pizza cake with toppings

Nemo Cake

Image

088

submitted by: Bright Ideas

1. Sarah @ Miss Candiquik says:

I love these ideas!!! So many great cakes. Thanks for featuring my swimming pool cake :)
    Happy Friday :)
    Sarah

2. Courtney O'Dell says:

Thanks for featuring my easy cake frosting tutorial, Kristen!

I also put one up yesterday that shows how to use the same method on cupcakes!

This is an adorable roundup- ill be promoting! And how CUTE is your mom for the bus stop idea? Love it!!!

3. Leah says:

I’ve made a couple of these cakes. I love cake decorating! I am no pro and that definitely shows in my cakes but they’re still pretty darned nice if I do say so myself, and I’ve been recruited more than once by friends and family to make the cakes for special occasions for them.

Fondant is not too tricky. Go for it! If you use store-bought try to find one that tastes good. Some store-bought fondants are kind of icky. You can knead in a little bit of flavor oil/extract to help with that. I personally like just making homemade marshmallow fondant. It’s messy to make but it is easy to work with. It is very sweet. No matter what kind of fondant you use, my top advice is this: when using it to cover a cake, roll it as thin as you possibly can. In my experience it’s much easier to work with when it’s very thin (I like to keep mine about 1/8th of an inch thick or so) and this keeps the flavor/sweetness of it from being overpowering as compared to the flavor of the icing and cake underneath. Not all cakes must be fondant covered, though, really. I am a fan of buttercream and nine times out of ten if I am making a cake for a special occasion, it’s fondant free. I know someone who thinks they’re awesome with fondant but they aren’t, and their cakes are always covered with far too thick fondant and it’s just not pleasant.

4. Kim says:

Ok, I am not a baker and just about all of these “easy” cakes look like they are way beyond my kitchen capabilities, but I think I could make that Kit Kat cake and it looks so yummy, that I may just give it a try!! I am going to pin this and enlist my kids to help out! :)

5. dearcat says:

These cakes are great. I used to make cokes using the Wilton method, but now that I have arthiritis I can not handle the flower nails and the bags. My grandchildren and great grandchildren will be very pleased.
    as ever,
    dearcat

6. Sarah @ Craft Quickies says:

Such a fun roundup, Kristen!!! I love that story about your mom and the card table at the bus stop—amazing!! My mom was great with birthdays too. I am amazed by the cute party ideas and cakes she came up with prior to the blog/Pinterest era! I decided to step up my game and try to be like her this year with my son’s party. Luckily a Viking Hat cake is easy to make, b/c apparently cake decorating at large is NOT my special talent. ;) xoxo

7. Tracy @thecityofmotherlylove.com says:

I love all of these ideas… Such a good mix of beginner to experienced cake themes. I just posted an article on my blog on how to (easily) make a soccer ball (or any kind of sports-ball themed cake, with no special tools or know-how!!!! Maybe in your next edition, it could be number 51 :)

Make Your Own Soccer Ball Cake

8. Rosey says:

There’s a lot of fantastic going on here, and every time I was about to pick a favorite, another great one scrolled by!! Thank you for the fun share.

I’m visiting today from Thursday’s Favorite Things.

9. Krista Low says:

These cakes are so much fun! They look really simple to put together, not super time intensive like some of them can be! I love these great ideas! I will be featuring this great post tomorrow @ Great Idea Thursday’s! I love it! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

10. JUVY M. ZAFRA says:

Very interesting! thanks for sharing your ideas…more power…. from your friends here in the Philippines!

11. Peggy says:

I have five sisters and no boys. My mom made our birthdays really special too.
    I am daughter number four of six. Now I’m sad because we don’t have a talent.
    You guys are too cute!!!!

12. Elaine says:

I love these cakes!! I make and sell them in Wimbledon in London and when it is my kids birthdays I always end up making something really simple – love the ones covered in sweets.
    What a wonderful blog to find!

13. Corine says:

It has been observed that usage of a car largely determines the maintenance schedule of that particular car.
    What prompted me to write about this topic is that a short while ago a local teen died in a collision and the headline read ‘Speed Suspected In Teen Collision Death’.

Basically, there are two most important and significant car accessories types such as interior car accessories
    and exterior car accessories.

My blog post – car floor mats