Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Where has this recipe been all my life?!
I consider myself to be a Master Slow Cook Chef. :)
I seriously use my slow cooker a couple of times a week and the fewer ingredients the recipe uses, the more I love it!
A couple of you had sent emails or left comments letting us know that your favorite slow cooker recipe was the one with root beer in it, which sounded so strange to me.
So I started googling it and found this simple 3 ingredient recipe. I decided to try it and even warned my husband that dinner might be a flop . . .
seriously those five-star ratings are not lying!
This pork was divine!!
If you have any potluck dinners coming up or need a recipe that will not only feed a crowd but impress them too, this recipe is for you!

Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Ingredients:
1 (3 pound) pork roast (I used boneless)
1 (12 oz) can root beer
1 (18 oz) bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (we love Famous Dave’s Rich and Sassy)
8 hamburger buns

Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place roast inside slow cooker and pour the root beer over the meat. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours (or until meat easily shreds).
Take the roast out of the slow cooker and shred using two forks (it should just fall apart). Drain the root beer out of the slow cooker and place the shredded roast back inside. Stir in the bottle of BBQ sauce. Keep warm in the slow cooker until serving.
Place meat on hamburger buns and serve.
Makes 8 servings.

Recipe source: Allrecipes

More of my favorite pork recipes:
Did you know that My Recipe Magic (our new site) now REWARDS you for using it?
Earn points by uploading a recipe, commenting on other recipes, creating a shopping list or cookbook, and so many other ways! Then redeem your points for gift cards and giveaways.
Join us today at
Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

38 Comments

1. Kim McMillen says

This is how I cook mine as well, I add some brown sugar when adding the barbecue sauce. I also slow cook my pork ribs in root beer, then throw them on the grill and grill with barbecue sauce till heated through.

2. Daisy says

Soooooo . I accidentally just added everything in at once :-/ . I didn’t even read the instructions thinking it was just a put everything in and it will work. Do you think it will still come out right?

3. Penelope Pitstop says

This is so, so good! I could eat it every day for a week!!!!!! My family went nuts over this and is asking for me to make it again next week. Awesome recipe and I feel blessed just finding it. Thanks so much!

4. Penelope Pitstop says

Can I just say I love you sisters! You’ve given me inspiration when it was desperately needed. That being said, my family loved this root beer pulled pork. I used Hatfield teriyaki pork loins cuz they were on sale and it came out so freakin’ good! My husband has already asked me to make it again. . .he also had three sandwiches! Great recipe and a great website. God bless and keep’em coming!

• Catherine says

I have a huge crock pot as well. I have made this dish twice and the root bear doesn’t cover the meat. The meat is fine because the moisture stays in the crock pot. Both times I have made this dish has turned out great. We love our sweet BBQ Pulled Pork. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!!!

5. Donna says

Love your website! And I totally plan on trying this recipe today…I work night shift, so throwing everything in the crock pot before I go to sleep then dinner being ready when I wake up works out perfectly :-) However, can I put the pork roast in the crock pot frozen? I usually put chicken breasts and pot roasts in frozen, but I just wanted to double check. If not, I’d have to thaw mine out and wait until tomorrow to make it. Thanks!!

6. Becky says

I just made these sandwiches for our extended family dinner tonight! They were amazing! Mu husband said it was the best pulled pork he has EVER had! Thanks so much for the recipe. Becky @ themamasgirls.com

7. RHome410 @ Friday is Pizza, Monday is Soup says

I’m not a huge pork fan. I’m not a huge BBQ sauce fan. But I was intrigued by the root beer and the super-simple prep. I LOVE these sandwiches, as does my whole family. There was a big demand for more, so I currently have 2 batches underway at once.

We put them on our homemade whole wheat buns with prepared cole slaw, or shredded cabbage and mayo, for some freshness, crunch, and a great way to sneak in some healthy veggies. ;-) Will be sharing our experience, and linking back to this post, on my blog…hopefully, this week.

• Cyd says

This calorie count for this recipe includes the bun since it’s listed in the ingredients. It’s for 8 equal servings. If you get more than 8 servings out of this recipe, then the calorie count would be less.

I tried this recipe out today and it was phenomenal!! If you like Lloyd’s BBQ pork you’ll love this. I followed the recipe just how it said only I added in about a tablespoon of brown sugar. Maybe even a little less. My husband raved about this flavor. Perfect!