Saltine Cracker English Toffee

I know that this recipe sounds a little strange, but I promise you- it is so addicting!
It is so easy to make (simple ingredients and it only takes a couple of minutes) and it is the perfect treat for a holiday party or neighbor gift. People will not believe you when you tell them that it's made from saltine crackers!

Saltine Cracker English Toffee
Ingredients:
40 salted saltine crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (I used peanuts, you can use whatever kind you like)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a large jelly roll pan (mine was 15x10") with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Lay the saltine crackers evenly on the pan (I put mine really close together so that they were touching).
In a saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and let it boil for three minutes without stirring. After three minutes, pour the hot brown sugar mixture evenly over the saltine crackers.
Bake in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips across the toffee. Let them melt for a couple of minutes and then use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly across the toffee (like frosting).
Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of the melted chocolate. Let the toffee and chocolate cool completely (I put mine in the fridge to help it set up quickly). Break the toffee into bite-size pieces.
To store, keep in an air-tight container for 1-2 weeks or in the freezer for a couple of months.

Recipe adapted from AllRecipes

Looking for more yummy snacks?
  1. Robyn says:

People always think I’m crazy when I tell them about this recipe, but it’s the best! And I always have the ingredients on hand. You can also freeze it and they are delicious right out of the freezer.

2. MaryBB says:

I remember this recipe fondly from my childhood. My best friend’s mother used to make it and it is so yummy!!! Hers didn’t include nutes, but clearly that can only make it better.

3. Evelyn says:

What a super cool and unusual idea:) Love the salt and sweet stuffs!! Just dropping in from Mandatory Mooch and have been loving following you. Would love to invite you to share any of your favorite posts at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop (no rules and live now:)

Merry Christmas!!

Love your ebooks especially “10 ways to Grow Your Blog”!

4. Lynda says:

My the bottoms of many of the crackers are sticky and a real mess!
    Taste is good- but I can’t give away this as a gift – help!! What did I do wrong?
    As I said, tastes really good, but Almond Roca has no worries – I won’t
    be any competition. LOL

5. Lise Marie says:

Lynda, it actually can be a slightly tricky recipe if you don’t get the boil temperature right. I remember last year I made many many batches and every once in awhile – FAIL! :) It was frustrating. Just remember to watch that mixture for a “rolling boil” then STOP STIRRING as it continues to boil for 3 minutes and only 3 minutes. You’re shooting for the ‘soft ball stage” in candy degrees which is about 235/245 degrees.
    Give it another try with attention again to the details – it will likely work! Good luck! – Lise

6. Jen K. says:

I found your recipe through Pinterest. I just made a half batch of these today & the pieces I tried were delicious! I plan to take some to a holiday party & give some to our neighbors too!

Thanks so much for the recipe!

I stirred mine the whole time while boiling with no problems!

7. Kelly says:

Another version (for people that may not like chocolate, blasphemy I know) I have made these with Graham crackers and then sprinkled the top with coarse salt and chopped roasted almonds. We called them Skor bars. I am so making them this way too now!!

8. Debra says:

Since I am allergic to chocolate (weird I know!), I have made this and put salted peanuts on the top and made brittle! It is most awesome!

9. Stephanie M. says:

Can’t wait to try this! Found you ladies on Pinterest and have been following since. I’ve tried this from someone else who made it but can’t wait to make it myself, thanks for the recipe!

10. Jude9497 says:

I used Aldi’s milk chocolate chips on my first batch and they didn’t melt! I had to throw the whole pan out. Started from scratch with Nestlé Tollhouse Morsels and it came out perfectly. I’m only using name brand chocolate chips for melting purposes from now on!!

• Cyd says:

We have only made this recipe as directed. So we can’t tell you if the plain sugar or splenda would work because we have never used it. It would definitely change the taste because it is so different from brown sugar.

11. Mama says:

This is soooo amazing. My sister (yay sisters!!!) made it at Easter and we all could not get enough! I had a hankering for it again n asked her where she got her recipe…hence why I’m here :) just had to send a thanks and share how amazingly delicious this is followed as is!!! Remember crazy expensive Almond Roca?!? This tastes exactly like it but even BETTER!!! Thanks a million <3