Dessert, Fall, Halloween, Mexican Food, Pumpkin

Taco Time Copycat Pumpkin Empanada Recipe

PumpkinEmpanadas[1]

var r = document.URL;

Pumpkin Empanadas

Every fall we get so excited knowing that Taco Time Pumpkin Empanadas are out for a limited time.  They are a family favorite!  We always look forward to the warm pumpkin with the cinnamon and sugar coating. We always look forward to the warm pumpkin with the cinnamon and sugar coating.They are so delicious!They are so delicious!

Ingredients:
Flour Tortillas (large size)

Pumpkin Filling:
8 ounce block cream cheese (room temperature)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

Cream together cream cheese and sugar until smooth.  Then blend in canned pumpkin, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice.

Put about 1/3 cup of pumpkin filling in the center of each tortilla and spread around covering tortilla close to the edges.  Roll up carefully and secure with a toothpick.

Drop each empanada in a pan of heated vegetable or canola oil. Heat oil to 350 degrees.  Fry til golden brown. Place on paper towel to drain. ***Remove toothpick after frying!

Then roll each empanada in a mixture of:
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup cinnamon

Dip in Cool Whip or whipped topping.

Adapted from: Sweet Little Bluebird and our local Taco Time

If you are looking for more pumpkin recipes, here are some more of our favorites:

Comments

oh my gosh! got to try these! have a whole pumpkin to use up! sounds delish. found your site through eatcake for dinner who has the most delicious stuff and now i see you do too…ugh! my poor waistband :/ lol

• says

You can bake them too! Place them in a lightly greased 9×13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and moisten them with water on your fingertips. Just enough so that when you roll them in the cinnamon/sugar mixture it will stick to the tortilla.

Mmm I love their Cherry empanadas. Now, I’d love to have that recipe…maybe just a can of cherry pie filling (maybe add some almond extract)?

o.k. I have about 1 c leftover pumpkin from another recipe, but I can’t believe that if you roll them up like those in photo, the filling just doesn’t melt or leak or run out ? Have you folded them burrito/eggroll/or envelope style ? You know…sides in and then roll? Would that be better ? Or can you assure me it won’t leak ? I just don’t want to waste anything…effort or products.

Thanks for linking this up at the ‘Or so she says…’ link party! Whoo…it looks soooo good!!! Of course, it had to win one of my two features for the week. Come check it out tomorrow, I’ll also be sharing it on Facebook and Pinterest.

Love you girls! Thanks for all you do!

Mariel @ Or so she says…

5. Sandi says

My mom owned and operated a Taco Time for over 20 years. She has retired now and I live in Texas where we don’t have Taco Times. I miss it so much. This recipe sounds deliciouse. We just might have to try it.

6. Lori says

I used to work at Taco Time when I lived in Montana and all we used to make these was a can of the pre-made pumpkin pie filling. We put a scoop of the filling in the tortilla, roll it up and then fry it. Serve with some whip cream and presto! They are so delicious!

7. Alicia says

I made these tonight and WOW they taste awesome! I just had 3/4 of the cream cheese block and didn’t have pumpkin spice. But they were still yummy! We dipped them into lite cool whip mmm mmm. I’ve tried a few dinners from this site and all have been a hit. This was a first dessert recipe I’ve baked. Thanks again sisters for helping me change up the house hold dinner menu!!

Trackbacks