Cake Mix Recipe, Cakes, Chocolate, Dessert

Boston Cream Poke Cake

Boston+Cream+Poke+Cake[1]

One of the most popular recipes on our blog are our Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes. They are so simple to make and taste absolutely delicious.
When I came across this recipe for those cupcakes in a large cake form, I knew that I had to try it immediately! This really was such an easy dessert to whip up and it was a big hit with the neighbors who sampled it for me (being a taste tester is a rough job, but someone has to do it!).

Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake
Ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix
Ingredients called for on cake mix (eggs, oil and water)
2 (3.4 oz) boxes instant Vanilla or French Vanilla pudding
4 cups milk
1 container chocolate frosting (or your favorite homemade chocolate frosting)

Make cake mix according to directions and bake in a well-greased 9×13 pan.
When cake is finished baking and is still warm, poke holes all over cakeusing a wooden spoon handle or other similar size object (you want those holes fairly big so the pudding has room to get in there and you need to poke straight through to the bottom of the cake).
In a medium bowl, add milk to pudding mixture and continue to whisk until most of the lumps are removed. Pour pudding on top of warm cake, making sure to pour straight into the holes in the cake.
Take a spoon and spread it evenly across the top of the cake (very gently press down pudding to ensure that pudding goes into the holes and spread it all the way to the sides).
Put cake in fridge and allow to cool completely before adding the frosting (about 2 hours).
Remove the lid and foil covering from the tub of chocolate frosting and microwave for about 10-15 seconds. Stir frosting with a spoon- it should still be thick, but pourable. Pour chocolate frosting on top of pudding.
Spread frosting to evenly cover cake. Start in the middle and gently spread to the sides. Allow to cool on the counter for a few minutes, then put into the fridge to fully cool and set up.

Recipe source: The Country Cook

Looking for more delicious cake recipes?

Comments

Yum! My grandmother always make Boston Cream Cake with two round cake layers and the vanilla pudding in the middle. This will taste the same but be a lot easier!

Hello Sisters! this is the desert i made for our early Xmas supper! it was very easy today and was very tasty and very sweet. my only thing about this recipe, if i make again, i wouldnt use all the pudding. i made the 2 pkgs that was asked for the recipe and followed all the instruction, after puddings was spread all over and pushed into the wholes.. with the pudding left on top of cake. it was hard to spread icing without mixing pudding in it( icing was warmed a bit, not too warm though..) so anyway to make long story short, in the future, i ll still make 2 pkgs of the instant pudding but will only use the 2/3 of it.. thanks for posting recipes that easy to do, good to eat and budget friendly!

• Katherine says

I agree it was a bit of a challenge to get the frosting spread evenly without mixing any pudding in, but it wouldn’t be Boston cream without that layer of pudding on top of the cake! This was the quickest dessert I’ve made in quite a while and everyone loved it.

3. Amanda says

I loved this cake the first time I made it! It is a perfect summer dessert because it is served cold. Everyone loved it, the pudding made the cake super moist and the chocolate frosting was to die for on top!

4. Rachel says

I made this for a family birthday party. I didn’t use all the pudding either. Definitely poke the holes in your cake before mixing the pudding and then pour it quickly into the holes before it has completely set up. By the time I was done doing this, it had set up so it was easy to spread on the top of the cake without it running down the sides, which was important as I made this a little more challenging for myself by doing it in two 9″ rounds and then stacking. I had to work fast! As far as spreading the frosting, I heated it more than the 10-15 sec. I started out with 12 seconds but it was still fairly thick and not pourable, so I heated it two more times in 10 sec intervals and stirred in between. I ended up with an easy to work with pourable frosting that covered the pudding on top very easily and ran down the sides. Hope that helps someone with the frosting. It was delicious!

5. Leann says

Do I need to keep the cake in the refrigerator after everything is set up? Thanks so much. Love all of your site!!!!

• Cyd says

It can set out for an hour or two, but then you may want to put it back in the fridge since it has pudding and milk in it.