Honey BBQ Meatloaf

Honestly, the only meatloaf that I have ever tried is my Grandma’s meatloaf . . . and it is seriously divine. I came across this recipe and it sounded pretty good; I love honey, I love barbecue, and if it was anything close to my grandma’s recipe, it had to be good. I whipped this up for dinner and it was a winner! The flavor was the perfect combination of honey and BBQ . . . definitely comfort food at it’s finest! I still am partial to my grandma’s recipe, but this is close second and I will make it again for sure!
(The recipe has been revamped as of July 2014)

Honey Barbecue Meatloaf
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 cup oatmeal
2 eggs
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
½ cup BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon honey
salt and pepper to taste

¼ cup BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, oatmeal, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, MMQ sauce, honey, and salt and pepper (I found that it’s easiest to use my hands to mix it all together. When completely combined, mold meat into large mound and place into loaf pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
In a small bowl, whisk topping ingredients together and spread half of topping on meatloaf. Reserve the other half for serving.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes, then slice into serving sizes and drizzle sauce on top.

Makes 6 servings.

Looking for more ground beef recipes?

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

The first time I made it mine also came out runny and mooshy and I only use glass cookware. I I made it a second time today in a glass pan as usual but made sure to really keep an eye on my measurements. It’s really easy to go overboard when your rushing around the kitchen. I took my time and made it for lunch this go around and it came out perfect! It doesn’t come out like my normal meatloaf. It is softer but it wasn’t a sloppy mess this time. Jennifer if at first you don’t succeed try try again :-)

I made this tonight and Mine came out mushy… I used a metal pan and measured everything and didn’t even use all the bbq spread for the top because it was already too runny! My husband said it was like bbq meatballs smooched out! Tasted good but texture was not so good

3. Michelle says

Made this tonight. The taste was delicious, but the texture was more sloppy-joe-like instead of firm like meatloaf. I noticed that there aren’t any breadcrumbs of any sort in this recipe … I’m not a good freelancer in the kitchen, so I wouldn’t be sure exactly how much to add if I wanted to. I guess I could start with a 1/2 cup. I hope more people make this and add their comments. :)

4. Beth says

I have made this several times as it is written above and yes, mine has also come out mushy. I think it may be due to there being no bonding agent (egg). Any thoughts on adding an egg?? I want to try it but am nervous to ruin it completely. However, when I think about it, every other meatloaf recipe I have ever made calls for an egg or two…..hmmm….

5. Dana says

I just tried making this tonight….I was so excited to try a meatloaf recipe other than my own. This one was different and sounded great. I must say I wondered about it not saying to add egg but I followed the recipe anyways. IT TURNED OUT AWFUL!!! Similar to other ladies, mine was mushy like I’ve never seen ground beef be…I’m a texture person so needless to say this was bad…I’m sorry but bad enough to not even try again.

6. Brittany says

I made this tonight and it turned out great! I was nervous given the other comments about it being mushy so I did add an egg and normal bread crumbs along with the panko, I also used ground turkey and it had great flavor and a normal meatloaf texture. :)