DIY Stained Mason Jars Tutorial

I have seen mason jars with this bluish tint all over the internet.  The only problem is, I can't seem to find them in stores!  I decided to take matters into my own hands and dye them myself.

Here is how to stain a mason jar:

Supplies:  You will need a mason jar (I found mine at a craft store for $2), Mod Podge, food coloring, a paper plate and spoon, waxed paper and a baking sheet.

Before you begin, preheat your oven to 200° F.

Step 1:  Mix 2 tablespoons of water and 4 tablespoons of Mod Podge together on your paper plate.  Next, add as many drops of food coloring you want until you reach your desired shade (I used 5 drops of blue food coloring for mine).

Step 2:  Pour all of the water and Mod Podge mixture into your mason jar.  Move your jar around making sure to coat the whole inside of the jar.

Step 3:  Pour all of the water and Mod Podge mixture out of your jar, making sure to coat the mouth of the jar.  Wipe the outside edge of your jar for any excess mixture on the outside.  Be sure to only have a thin layer on the inside of your jar, otherwise it won't have an even color in the end.

Step 4:  Place the jar upside down on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.  Put it in the oven for three minutes.

Step 5:  Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the jar upright. Wipe rim carefully with a paper towel to remove excess water and Mod Podge mixture, then return the jar (upright) to the oven. Bake until the color is clear and beautiful, about 30-40 minutes.

You're done!

Add a ribbon or flowers to your jar for some extra flair!

***Do not store anything you plan on eating in these jars, because the Mod Podge makes it unsafe!  You can use water in them for plants.***

Looking for other easy, DIY crafts?
Check out our Craft Index!

• Laura says:

Hi! I think this is a great idea, but I am looking to color the out side of the jars. Can this method be used for that as well? If not, do you know where I can find tutorials for that? I love the idea of staining the jars, but I plan to put stuff like lotion, salves, etc. into the jar. The Mod Podge is baked on, but I would be afraid it would leach into the products. Can you help?

1. Renee Ault says:

I have made these myself, and I just love them!! I used Elmer’s glue instead of the mod podge and I didn’t even put them in the oven…they air dry just as well. I have also seen this brushed on the outside of the glass instead of coating the inside…that way the jar is still food safe. Just some extra tips I thought I would share. I made a lime green jar and a pink one…my next project will be aqua…aqua seems to be the big color right now…and I am really starting to love it!!!

2. tina picazo says:

The tempurature of the oven is stated as 200 degrees.
    Too bad you cant use them for food or beverages…how about if you do this same process to the outer glass?

3. Best tutorial for this I’ve seen so far! Thanks!! I have a few of the blue Ball jars – they quit making them in the 50s. I bought mine at an antique store for a friend’s bridal tea, but they were (gasp) about $8 per jar!!! Staining them yourself seems like a way more affordable option!

Fun fact, if you ever do come by the antique jars, you can date them by examining the imprint. Apparently some collectors are really serious about this, so it’s easy to find online. One of mine is from the 1910s! Who knew?

4. I’m wondering if the colored jars can be used for candles, or does is Mod Podge coating flammable? If so, when the color treatment goes on the outside of the jar, does it rub or wash off?

• Six Sisters says:

Oh boy….. I have not used them for candles. Mod Podge is not flammable but I am not sure what would happen. I haven’t put the color treatment on the outside so I am not sure if it would rub off or anything. Sorry I am not more help! -Six Sisters

• Kay says:

Did you stain the outside or inside to use for candles. I would like to do the same for my retirement party in September. Do you have a picture of a finished one with a sunflower. Would love to see it!

5. melinda says:

How is the coating holding up in terms of chipping and/or water immersion, i.e. flowers with water in it? I want to make some food safe ones with the color on the outside and give them as gifts, but have no idea how well they’d hold up. I know you haven’t done the outside, but maybe I can get an idea by how the inside is holding up. Thanks

6. sherrie says:

I have made two of these and they both have runs in them one I drained until it didn’t drip at all and the other I just poured out the excess moderately barely dripping any suggestions on how to avoid runs

• Elyse says:

Hey Sherrie!

I am so sorry about that! I would maybe just leave the jars upside-down for a longer period of time to make the mod podge layer as thin as possible inside the jar.

7. Tiffany says:

Hi. I made these tonight, but my jars ended up with a lot of goop around the bottom ring on the inside. Do I need to bake them longer? Thanks.

8. Kristen Frankel says:

Hey, I love this! I want to use it for jars I’ve been collecting and thought about placing strands of lights in each of them connected together. Is that safe? Can the heat of the bulb stay inside the jars for a long time without anything bad happening!? Thanks for the help!

Kristen

• Cyd says:

I have never tried lights in them. Mod Podge isn’t flammable so it might be ok! Sorry I’m not more help!

9. ashley says:

These bottles are not waterproof. If you leave water in them for several days the glue inside the bottles will come away from the sides and come off. Also when water is used, the appearance of them will look like a milky consistancy with whatever color you used. Once you get the water out and dry them again they don’t look too bad, but just a thought if you want to use them for vases with real flowers.

• Elyse says:

Hey Alice!

I have never tried it, so I’m not sure! Another reader said that she made them into lamps and they work great! Sorry I’m not more help!

10. Karen Minor says:

Love this. First time I tried this I messed up a couple of jars. Not having enough time to wait for the clean up, I boiled water & put dish soap in the jars waited 20 minutes. Then with a tooth brush loosened the glue from the whole jar & everything came out slick nothing down the drain.

11. Jenn P says:

Just did 30 jars for quincenera and they came out gorgeous! Put water/deco beads in them and now they look awful. The water rehydrates the glue and now I have funky polka dots that vein out. Drying doesn’t make it look better. It would look cool if these were in black or red for halloween. Wished I had known not to put anything water related in them before i filled them last night. We set up decorations tonight. Just wanted to pass along a helpful hint.

12. Mor says:

I bought some bail jars. When I put the mixture in, it wouldn’t stick at all. Is there some coatings on certain jars? How would I remove the coating or make the mixture stick to the glass?

• Elyse says:

Hi Mor,

I have no idea! I have never run into that problem. I am so sorry about that! You may be able to clean the glass with rubbing alcohol to try and get any films off the jar, but I am not positive what else would work. I am so sorry about that!

13. Becky says:

Love this, so very nice. However it does not hold up to water. I wanted to use these for a bridal shower with real flowers in it but all the coloring came off as soon as water hit it:( Very nice for decorative though!