Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls Recipe

I am ashamed to admit that I have never attempted to make homemade cinnamon rolls.  I don’t know what it is about “rolls” in general, but I tend to get a little hesitant to make them.  I always worry that they won’t rise or something will go terribly wrong!  I gave this recipe a whirl and my whole family loved them, including my Mom and sisters who stopped by for a visit!  Maybe it is the little hint of sweetness the cake mix gives?  Or that they are smothered in cream cheese frosting? I don’t know, but I know that I can’t wait to make them again!  Make them tonight and eat them for breakfast.  Trust me, your family will thank you.

Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls Recipe:
(Makes 24 rolls)

Cinnamon Rolls:
1 box of white or yellow cake mix
2 packages of active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups of warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 can cream cheese frosting
Mix yeast and warm water until dissolved.  Combine cake mix, salt and flour in a large bowl.  Add warm water/yeast mixture and vanilla to cake mix, salt and flour mixture.  Mix well.  This may require kneading with your hands a bit to completely combine ingredients.  Cover tightly.  Let rise for one hour.  Punch down and let rise again for another 30-60 minutes.On a floured surface, roll dough into a rectangle shape, approx 1/4″ thick.  Once dough is rolled out, brush with softened butter.  Sprinkle with brown sugar.  Sprinkle with cinnamon – use as little or as much as you like.  Starting at end opposite from you, roll the dough towards you until all dough is rolled into one long piece.  Slice dough into 24 equal sized pieces.Place rolls in two greased 9×13 pans.  Cover and let rise until doubled in size.  I usually sit my rolls on my stove top while my oven preheats to 350 degrees.  This allows them time to rise and provides a bit of warmth from the oven warming.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes or until golden brown. This will depend on your stove and your preference for how brown you like your cinnamon rolls. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.  If you prefer your frosting to melt into your rolls, frost after rolls have cooled for 10-15 minutes.  If you prefer your frosting to stay on top of your rolls, wait until rolls have cooled until frosting.
(Recipe from Love From the Oven)

Looking for more breakfast rolls recipes?
Here are some of our favorites:
This post is sponsored by:
(Independent Consultant Samantha Fryer)

We are absolutely in love with Jamberry Nails!  These nail shields are perfect for fingernails or toenails, and last 2-6 weeks. They have so many different styles – perfect for any occasion!  From bridal designs, to clear covers, to fabulously fun, they have every kind of shield you could hope for. Shop by category – by the season, color, pattern or charity or purchase a gift certificate for the people you love.  Check them out today and get their special offer – buy 3 get 1 free!

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

• Shhirley Rosser says

I just made these cinnamon rolls and ate two already. I’ve made this recipe several times and they always turn out great! Thank you for the recipe! They are going to my son’s college buddies IFthere’s any left! Hehe!

• says

I made these for Christmas and they were incredibly good! The dough was really sticky and a bit difficult to work with so I only made 12 and then I froze the other roll of dough for another time. I baked them this morning and they turned out okay, but not as great as the fresh made. I didn’t let them thaw complete because a) I didn’t want to deal with the sticky dough again, and b) because all the filling started running out. So I thaw them just enough to get a knife through them and then baked them for 30 minutes or so. They are a little crunchier as the filling was leaking out and baking up crisp, but again still edible.

These are really amazing!! I have NEVER made anything with yeast turn-out good. But these totally rock! And I love that they are egg-free (my son has a rare disease EoE and is allergic to many things – eggs being one of them). Love it! THANKS!!!

IS it OK to prepare the dough the night before and then cook it in the morning? Recipe sounds great, but not sure I have 3 hours to dedicate to making breakfast in the morning. What are your suggestions? Thanks!

• says

I haven’t tried preparing the night before so I am not sure how it would work. You may be able to store the dough in the fridge covered with plastic wrap. I have also made them the night before and stored them on my counter in an airtight container and they are still fresh and delicious by morning!

• LoAnne Nemeth says

Thank you for letting us know how much flour because I seen the flour in the directions but not the amount or that you use it in the ingredient list. I looked a number of times because I could not figure out how you would be able to roll out the dough.

3. Stacey says

EXCELLENT!!!! The cake mix gives it the perfect flavor and texture!!! I have been trying cinnamon bun recipes for a while they are never quit right but these are TERRIFIC!!!!! Thank you so much for posting!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Leah says

I’m new to baking. So this may be a dumb I prepare the cake mix as i would the cake. Adding the ingredients required on the box? Or am I just using the dry cake mix?

5. Teri says

I have been making these for 30+ years. Started making them in high school for family & friends. I have used both the white & yellow cake mixes and they are equally good. The best one to use, however, is FRENCH VANILLA!!

6. Mavis says

I have made these a number of times and everyone says they are the best rolls. Have given the recipe away to many ladies who have asked for it. I also make a carmel sauce and put it in the bottom of the pan before I let them rise. It is just l cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup marg. or butter and 4 Tbsp water–
    Boil for l minute on stove and pour into pan. Rolls on top and rise and bake. Very good

7. Kristina says

This is a yeast dough so the only difference between it and traditional cinnamon rolls would be the flavor you get from the cake mix. Everything else is pretty much the same, although there’s no added oil or shortening to the dough itself. I guess there’s bit of that in the cake mix? Just the addition of vanilla sounds interesting. I may add some next time I make cinnamon rolls. Anyway, if you can make these, you’d probably do just as well with the old-fashioned ones. But if you like the extra pop of flavor from the cake mix, you don’t need to even try. You’ve proven your cinnamon roll expertise.

8. Lamar says

One of my favorites? We have tried many variations with flavors i.e. chocolate fudge cake mix or my favorite, white cake mix with a teaspoon of orange extract and then put semi sweet chocolate chips in when adding the brown sugar and butter. The chips make it sweet enough no icing required! Sounds like the basic recipe is good and you can use your imagination!

9. Kim says

These look delish, but unfortunately I CAN mess them up. I have horrible luck with Cinnamon rolls. After an hour they hardly rose. I covered with seran wrap and a towel. Maybe that isn’t tight enough of a cover? I put a cover on it and I’m leaving it be longer. Keeping my fingers crossed.