Slow Cooker Easy French Dip Sandwiches

We make these sandwiches all the time . . . they take about 5 minutes to prepare and cook all day in your slow cooker.  It makes a lot, so it's perfect for when you have family and friends over!

Slow Cooker Easy French Dip Sandwiches:
(Makes 6-8 servings)

Ingredients:
2-3 pound roast (either beef or pork- we use whatever is on sale that week!)
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) beef consomme (I can always find this mixed in with the soups)
6-8 buns (we love hoagie buns, but any kind will work)

Place roast in greased slow-cooker. Pour consomme over the top of the roast. Cook on low 8-11 hours or on high for 5-7 hours. Remove roast and save extra juice for dipping! With 2 forks, pull apart roast (when it is done, it should pull apart easily . . . almost fall apart). Serve meat on buns and use extra juice to dip sandwiches in.

• connie england says:

I hat two small roast one frozen, one not. cooked at the same time they were great. I’ve thrown frozen meat in my crock before bed, its tender and done in the morning.

1. Alison says:

I’m making this for dinner tonight after making your beef sliders w/ chipotle sauce a few weeks ago and loving them! Thanks for sharing your yummy and easy recipes :)

• Camille says:

I just usually buy a rump roast (it’s usually a cheaper cut of meat!). Sometimes the fattier meat is more moist and juicy since it cooks with the fat- then I just cut the fat off when I shred it. Since you cook it for so long, it usually falls apart when you try to shred it. I think that the secret with tough roasts is to cook it for a LONG time (at least 10 hours) at a low setting. I hope that helps!

• Six Sisters says:

Just when I cook a roast in the oven in a roasting pan I do it at 300 degrees for about 3 to 3 1/2 hours so it’s moist and falls apart. I’m not sure if a cast iron pot gets hotter and it would cook faster. Maybe watch it very closely so it doesn’t burn.

2. I have made a very similar recipe for over 30 years…take 2 cups of hot water, drop in a beef bouillon cube and one package of dry onion soup mix. Stir till bouillon dissolved and pour over roast. Bake uncovered for 1 hour, then covered x 8 hours! The aroma will drive you crazy, and it is delicious. One time we put both a small beef roast and a small pork roast in together, and that was amazing as well. Love these easy recipes!

3. au naturel says:

Made this for Christmas Eve. They were great, EXCEPT the fat from the juice was swimming on top, so the French Dip was lost. I wish I had a fat separator so we could pour from the bottom. Otherwise it was great.

• Teri Mount McCall says:

Fat generally floats to the top and is easily removed by skimming it off the top with a serving spoon. It is a little time consuming but it can be done without special equipment. Just trying to help.

• Shauna says:

A really easy way to “skim” the fat off of the juice is to let it sit for a little while, then use a turkey baster to suck the fat off that has risen to the top.

4. Penny says:

Instead of the consomme, try a cup of soy sauce, 15 or so peppercorns, a tablespoon/2 cubes of oxo or other bullion cube/base, a bay leaf and enough water to cover the roast. Cook all day.

This is for a large crockpot – say 7 or 8 quart. For a smaller one, use about 1/2 a cup of soy sauce and 10 peppercorns, one bay leaf and one bullion cube/2 teaspoons if you use the powder form.

Sometimes I sear the outside in a frying pan first because it gives a nicer edge but it’s not necessary.
    Add onion and garlic seasoning to your taste preference.

5. DrKroeze says:

Made this tonight… turned out pretty good! I had to use beef broth since that was all I could find. I grilled up some onions, put some colby cheddar cheese on a semi toasted bun. I have to say it was really good Even my often picky daughter liked it! :)

6. Teri Mount McCall says:

Do you not add any type of seasoning (salt, pepper, onion salt, etc …) to this? or does the Beef Consomme season the beef by itself?

• Cyd says:

We just follow the recipe as directed. It has plenty of yummy flavor with those ingredients. But you could definitely add more if you want.

7. Michele says:

Yummy do you think you could use the french onion soup instead of beef consume? I think I might try using both!

8. Trish says:

I hardly ever comment on blog recipes, but after I just had some leftovers for lunch, I just had to. I was very skeptical about this recipe, but I wanted something easy that wouldn’t require me to turn on the oven (it’s been SO hot!!). When it was done, I was afraid it was just going to taste like pot roast sandwiches, and I’m not a fan of pot roast. They were delicious! I added a slice of provolone to each sandwich, but changed nothing else. The dip was super savory, the meat was tender. This recipe was a winner for us, and I will be making it again.

9. Earlene says:

Simmered a pound of thinly sliced beef, couple of diced portabella mushrooms, a can of beef broth, 2 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1/2 tsp crushed bay leaf, 1 c. strong coffee, S&P,1/2 tsp of garlic powder and onion powder, and a couple of dashes of hot sauce. Baked homemade yeast rolls, topped with the beef with smoked provolone, toasted in the oven, and served with the au jus sauce to dip…YUMMY!! Boyfriend is a happy camper.. :)