Breakfast, Chocolate, Dessert, Low Fat Recipes, Muffins

Low Calorie Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffins Recipe

Triple+Chunk+Chocolate+Muffins[1]

When it comes to any dessert with chocolate in it, I can’t stop at one serving.  I will literally catch myself finishing off a half batch of cookies or brownies in one day if I leave them sitting on the counter.  I just can’t control my sweet tooth!  These muffins have a few substitutions in them that make you feel a lot better about eating more than one.  No one in my family could tell from tasting them that they only had 58 calories per muffin.  They were so moist and delicious!  I can’t wait to make them again!

Triple Chunk Chocolate Muffins Recipe:
(Makes 24 muffins, 58 calories per muffin)
Ingredients:

1-3/4 cup old fashioned oats
3 egg whites
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (or 1-1/2 tablespoons vinegar)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water
1 cup sugar substitute (like Splenda granular) OR 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Stevia
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a blender (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/4 cup of chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half (1/4 cup) of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.*
Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional ‘VitaTop Muffin’ look with the chocolate chips on top!Cool muffins before removing from pan.

(Recipe from Healthy is Always Better)

Looking for more low fat recipes?
Here are some of our favorites:

Comments

Would a cup of plain sugar be fine too? (obviously it would up the calories) I’ve yet to find an artificial sweetener that doesn’t give me a migraine, but otherwise these look awesome!

Definitely making these! I can never control my sweet tooth. And I’m trying desperately to limit my calorie intake…They look delicious. what sugar substitute do you use?

• says

Hi Brooke!

I actually put our leftovers in a large Ziploc freezer bag and they were great! We would microwave them for a few seconds when we took them out and they tasted just as great as they did fresh!

Hi there. I just took my muffins out of the oven, but they don’t look anything like yours. I followed all the ingredients and directions exactly. The ‘muffins’ turned out like failed brownies (or something like that?) and it wouldn’t cook through so I kept leaving it in the oven for 5 more minutes… and another 5.. and another 5 etc till I gave up :( I wonder what went wrong. I kept checking the ingredients and directions again and again, but couldn’t find my mistake.

• says

Hi!

I am so sorry they didn’t turn out. I am not sure what went wrong. If you followed the directions, it may have something to do with elevation? Sorry I’m not more help!

i just made these and they did not rise at all.. i dont see how they could look like the pic unless you put three servings in the muffin cup.. my husband like the taste they have a very strong dark chocolate taste so if you dont like dark chocolate you wont like them. i was really hoping these would be a good chocolate choice for me.

I made these with the amount of stevia listed in the recipe and they were terrible. You do not need that much stevia at all. I’d say just make them to taste with the stevia.

Yup, I would do the dry ingredients first in then blend/process until fine like flour. This way, it wouldn’t be too overmixed with the wet stuff while trying to break up the oats. Perhaps that is why it did not rise at all for some of you? Just an idea.

I made half regular size (12) and the other half mini-muffins (24) and they all rose to the top and a little beyond with no problems. My picky niece and boyfriend actually liked it. She admitted it was different but still gobbled it up nonetheless.

Thank you soo much! So delicious.

• says

Just click on the “Magic” button under the picture and then click on “Nutrition”. When you scroll down you’ll see the weight watcher points and points plus. -The Six Sisters

I have made these two or three times per month for probably a year now, and this is one of my family’s favorites. I use milk instead of water and only 1/2 cup of splenda. I always mix up the oats in the food processor before I add the other ingredients, and I think this helps them to rise better. I have recently realized that it works super well to use almond flour instead of oat flour, and the almond flour makes them lower carb and taste even better!

8. Emily says

I made these in a mini muffin tin using a mix of stevia and real sugar (to taste), left out the vinegar/cream of tarter and vanilla and used a healthy sprinkling of Enjoy Life chocolate chips (dairy free). I made the substitutions because I was working with what I had at the time. They rose perfectly and are super fluffy. They are a delicious treat!

9. Tammy Campbell says

I was skeptical because of how runny the batter was but they turned out pretty well! The are very rich but I like that sort of thing, especially with a tall glass of milk!

• Cyd says

We can help you with that. Just click on the MAGIC button under the picture. Then click on NUTRITION. It will bring up all the nutritional value of the muffins. It’s our new sister site – MyRecipeMagic.com. Stop by and check out the thousands of recipes. -The Six Sisters

10. Leilani says

I made these and we all loved them, even my husband who claims he “doesn’t like chocolate muffins” has been eating them! Thank you for the recipe! I wound up freezing the extras that we didn’t eat immediately and I just microwave one for 30 seconds and its perfect! Making these again this week!

11. Vicki says

After a few less than desireable batches of these muffins I went about it slightly different. I knew that these ingredients all put together would be great… I just wanted them to look fabulous, also. I started to beat egg whites by themselves, first, before adding any of the other wet ingredients. Cream of tartar is in recipe for that reason… to keep egg whites fluffy. I then add in all other wet ingredients. I only fold in dry ingredients. Never mix any muffin batter any more than to just “wet”. Viola!! Perfect every time since! I get rave reviews on these muffins!

12. DeAndra says

Just made these today and I love them!! They are delicious and chocolatey, and I can’t believe they have so few calories, fat, and sugar!