Skinny Crock Pot Pizza Casserole

I have two little girls that love Pizza. They could eat it for breakfast and dinner and still not get enough of it. Pizza, as you know, is not the most healthy thing for you so I have been looking for alternatives and found this recipe. My girls LOVED it! It is now called Noodle Pizza at our house.

Skinny Crock Pot Pizza Casserole

Ingredients

1 Box Spiral Pasta (uncooked but rinsed)- use whole wheat noodles to be even more healthy.
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup pepperoni
1/2 can of olives
16 ounces pizza sauce or pasta sauce
1/2 cup water
1 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese

Directions

Spray crockpot with non-stick spray In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground turkey with the onion, garlic and green bell pepper. Drain excess fat. Rinse pasta and place in the crock-pot with drained ground beef mix. Stir in olives and pepperoni. Pour Pasta sauce and 1/2 cup water over noodle mix. Stir again and make sure it is mixed well. Top with shredded Mozzarella. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours (no peeking)

Adapted from Mom's with Crockpots

Serve with a side salad

If you don't like the taste of ground turkey you can substitute it for a pound of lean ground beef. I also added Canadian bacon instead of pepperoni because my girls won't eat pepperoni. :)
You might also like these Casseroles...
Linking up here
Linking up here
  1. Lauren says:

I tried making this and it burnt! :( I am so sure I set my slow cooker properly but the hubby-to-be says he thought it said 8 hours! YIKES! I am going to try it again but had a question…. my slow cooker says high over the 4 and 6 hour settings and low over the 8 and 10 hour settings with an auto-warm setting. If I cook it on high for 4 hours will it burn? I work an hour away from home so slow cooker meals are the way to go!

2. Directions state low 4-5 hours. Maybe you could make it the night before and put in the fridge and you or hubby could turn it on at lunch?? I am making it today and going to start it at lunch hopefully it will be done well before dinner. Hope that helps. :)

3. Rachel says:

I made this yesterday and it turned out really well! I did have to add more water so that the liquid completely covered the pasta, but this might depend on the size of your slow cooker – ours is massive, so I always end up adding more liquid! I also added some chopped sundried tomatoes. I was short on time so I only browned the mince and just threw in the chopped pepper, onion and garlic and let them cook in the slow cooker, which worked fine. Good comfort food :) Mine took 3 – 4 hours on low to cook.

4. I made this tonight, and based on some of the reviews I changed it up a little. I cooked the noodles beforehand, left the water out, and cooked the casserole in a dish in the oven for 30 min at 350 covered with foil. I also added mushrooms, red peppers, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper. It was absolutely delicious – thanks for a great recipe!

5. nmr06212 says:

How many servings is this supposed to be? And the serving size? I am on Weight Watchers and plugged it into the recipe builder, and the whole thing is 93 points. Split 12 ways it is 8 points.

• Six Sisters says:

Just click on the “magic” button under the picture. Then click on “nutrition”. It will show you all the nutritional value. Scroll down to the bottom and it will show you the weight watcher points. This is our new sister blog – MyRecipeMagic.com. It has so many fun features!!

6. Amanda says:

I am making this tonight for dinner. I’m using everything it say’s except the olives. I hope it will taste the same!!

7. Ticia says:

This was indelible. I heated it on low for just under 4 hours and it was burnt on the bottom and the consistency of the pasta was awful. I usually love your recipes, but this one was a bust. I had to toss the whole thing. My husband who eats everything, eve told me to toss it =(

8. amanda says:

When I read the recipe and saw that only 1/2 cup of water was added and it included an entire box of dry pasta, I knew that must have been a mistake. I added probably 4 1/2 cups of water and I also added crushed red pepper and fresh cilantro and parsley and the dish is wonderful. I knew i would be another disaster if I only added 1/2 cup of water. Also, mine cooked on low for under 3 hours and it was done, I had to keep an eye on it, but It is delicious!

9. Laurie says:

Made it with 1.25 lbs. of ground turkey breast, a whole pkg. of turkey pepperoni, whole grain rotini (2/3 of a 13 oz box), and a jar of Ragu Light no sugar tomato and basil pasta sauce. Changes I would make – add some heat – red pepper flakes or something; more sauce. Probably will make it again, as husband liked it pretty well (with Tapatio sauce on it).

10. Mari says:

My friend and I used whole wheat noodles and turkey pepperoni to make the dish. We couldn’t find any lower fat mozzarella at Kroger so we went with standard. We browned the ground turkey, onions and garlic together, precooked the noodles, and baked it at 350 for thirty minutes. It turned out perfect! So delicious I forgot it was a “healthy” version of a casserole.

• Cyd says:

Hi Claudette, just click on the MAGIC button under the picture and then click on NUTRITION. You will receive all the nutritional info on all of our recipes. Including weight watcher points! :)