Skinny Chunky Monkey Cookies Recipe

When I was pregnant with my first baby, I gained 65 pounds.  I know, it is terrible.  I wasn’t working the last half of my pregnancy so I spent most of my day on the couch watching TLC and other shows my husband wouldn’t have enjoyed watching with me had he been home.  I would eat junk food all day because nothing ever sounded good and I hated preparing food for myself.  It was so much easier to just grab something rather than make something good for me.  I have always been a huge sweets fan and it was only worse when I was pregnant!  My poor, pregnant body knows all too well the effects a pint of Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey can have on it.This pregnancy I decided to try and eat only one or two treats a day (I can’t live a day with out dessert.  Trust me, I have tried and I am miserable!) rather than a whole batch. I decided I better try this healthy cookie recipe to lighten my load a little bit.  They only have 47 calories a cookie!  They don’t have any eggs or flour in them and are so easy to make.  If you taste the batter and decide it isn’t sweet enough, a few spoonfuls of sugar will do the trick (don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone).

Skinny Chunky Monkey Cookies Recipe:
(Makes 30 cookies)

3 ripe bananas
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mash bananas in a large bowl, then stir in remaining ingredients. Let batter stand for approximately 20 minutes, then drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes.

Freezing Directions:
Cool completely, then place cookies in a freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze.

Nutritional Information (per cookie):
47 calories; 7.5 g carbs; 1.6 g fat; 1.5 g protein; 1.3 g fiber; 1 WW PointsPlus

Looking for more healthy snack recipes?
Here are some of our favorites:

(Recipe from Once a Month Mom)

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

I am absolutely going to be making these! HOORAY for a gluten-free (if you use GF products) egg-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free treat I can eat!!! And they sound so simple. Of course, I also have to substitute Sunbutter for the P.B., but hey, I can do that! THANK-YOU!!!

YOu described me to a T. I gained 60 lbs with baby #2 and hated cooking for myself at home. My baby is 10 months old and I still have 5lbs to be back to pre-baby, but I just can’t go a day without sweets!!! Thanks for sharing, love yall’s site!

Just made these. I got about 50 cookies out of the batch. Made them as written, and it is what it is. Tasted like a healthy banana-based cookie. Not my fave, but I usually have sugar-laden treats.

I’m confused by the comments because 1 teaspoon isn’t THAT small! Anyway, for me I came out with 78 cookies exactly. I gather the reason for these cookies is to eat healthier compared to the crazy processed calorie laden alternatives. For that, this is a great recipe. I would encourage people to venture out and try them, even with banana, even with only 1 teaspoon, just try it! Thank you for the recipe, my hubster will love them.

• says

Sunbutter. It is the closest you will get to texture and consistency of PB. It’s made from sunflower seeds. And when you buy it there will be a layer of oil on top, be sure to blend it in or your sunbutter won’t have the creamy-ness you are looking for.

• rebecca says

There are so many nut butters out there like cashew or almond would be great to use. It would be a tastier alternative if someone doesn’t want to use peanut butter for whatever reason.

I wish I had read the comments before I made these. While the lack of sugar didn’t bother me, the blah taste of the cookie and the texture were odd. I was really looking fwd to a cookie that had no dairy, no fat, and no processed sugar but these missed the mark for my tastebuds. Thanks for sharing but they’re just not for me.

I just made them and they are very yummy and you don’t really taste the bananas at all. I did add about 2 T of agave and next time I think I will add 1/3c chopped pecans or almonds. Thanks

I wish I would have read the reviews before I made them. We did NOT like them. I was thinking they would be sweet or anything, but they just didn’t do it for us. I should have made banana bread with my ripe bananas. :( Lesson learned: read reviews. :) On another note, I love your blog and have had really good luck with other stuff!!! The three envelope pot roast sliders are AWE-SOME!!!

I have these in the oven as I write this, I used quick oats and very over ripe bananas from the freezer, and the texture was similar to no bake cookies with the quick oats (this might be the solution for the texture issue and I didn’t have to wait the 20 mins). I have high expectations for the cookies because the batter was so yummy. On the plus side, if the cookies do not turn out the batter can be eaten raw (no eggs YAY) as a Chunky Monkey pudding or as Chunky Monkey Overnight oats as a breakfast treat! Keeper for me either way, perfect “treat” for my 3 year old :)

Made these last week and I didn’t really care for them. I felt there were way too many bananas that left them super mushy and a off putting consistency. So I made them again yesterday but added some twists.
    1 banana
    1 pint raspberries
    1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 cup chopped pecans (walnuts or almonds would work as well)
    1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
    2 squares, broken into bits, 90% cacao chocolate
    Drop these by the spoonful, bake at the same temperature for 12-14 minutes.
    It makes about 15(good sized cookies) with 74 calories, 12 carbs, 3g fat, 2g protein.
    Without the 2 squares of 90% cacao it would be 66 calories, 11 carbs, 2g fat, 2g protein.
    And without the nuts or 90% cacao it is 53 calories, 11 carbs, 1g fat, 2g protein.

Anyways, thanks for letting me share! 😀

I found this recipe via Pinterest and made them this week. We love them! I think (like most things in life) it’s a matter of expectations. If you expect this to taste like a chocolate chip cookie, you’ll be disappointed, but as a healthy cookie alternative, these are great. Just enough to take care of a sweet craving. Attempts to cut out sweets never end well for us, so I’m always looking for something sweet we can have that’s not terrible for us. I got 26 cookies out of it, but then I always make cookies too big.

I dont understand the bad reviews. These cookies are AMAZING!!!! If you’re expecting mrs fields, these aren’t for you… If you are trying for a sweet tooth fix in a super healthy way, this is it! I refrigerate them and it’s like a nice cool pudding cookie I treat myself to after a workout. I’m still shedding the baby weight and these make me feel like I’m not deprived of sweets so I stick to my Vegan weight loss diet better. Thank you!!!!!

These were great. I’d already had the thought of adding some chocolate chips before I read through some of the comments. I’m also going to take the suggestion of adding almonds and I’m taking these on my GoRuck Challenge next week.

Oh my these we’re horrible. My kids wouldn’t eat them and neither would I. Thankfully I only baked one tray and then tried them. I was making these to bring them to a bridal shower. In order to not have wasted the ingredients I doctored up the rest with shredded coconut, cream of coconut and some sugar. Accidentally added the bad cookies onto the plate for the shower. Thankfully I told the guests and warned them. The two that accidentally got the o Reginald recipe cookies couldn’t even finish them. Don’t know how anyone could like this recipe. Sorry. Would rather have a few more calories and get some flavor.

To all those who feel the cookie is a little bland – try adding a dash of salt to the batter. I always use a dash of salt in my cookie recipes (especially anything with chocolate) and it makes all the difference! I found it really knocked up the flavor on these as well – quite delicious for a guilt-free treat! :) And a nice recipe I can let the kiddos gorge themselves on without worry. 😛

I just made these today. I did not vary from the recipe except I added a little salt to mine. It made about 75 cookies. I am on weight watchers and they do the trick for just wanting a little something sweet. I like the banana flavor. Two cookies= 1 wwp+. I like the fact that they are natural. I think that in a world full of fat, calories, and preservative enriched foods we get so used to having a TON of sweetness in our foods.

I’m pretty shocked by all of the negative comments for these cookies! I was SO excited to find a cookie that was sugar free, dairy free, egg free, gluten free, and peanut free (I substituted almond butter for the peanut butter)!!! After making the first batch already I can tell you that these cookies ARE yummy! No, they are not a straight across substitute for melt in your mouth chocolate chip cookies, but they are sooo much healthier. You just need to keep in mind they don’t have sugar – so they won’t be the type of sweet you’re used to! If you don’t like bananas, then this recipe probably isn’t for you!

• says

Thanks for your comment. Just depends on how sweet you like your treats! We have a sweet tooth, and this doesn’t fall under that category. This is a healthier option to a cookie! So glad you liked them. Have a great weekend. -The Six Sisters

Just got done making these and before freezing them I really like them! I love that it’s a recipe that I can safely let my toddler help with and not worry when the inevitable happens and he sticks his fingers in the batter for a taste. We are doing B-Banana week for his home school and this is a great treat for him. We used a tablespoon for each cookie resulting in 36 cookies at about 40 calories each with crunchy peanut butter for more texture. And best of all my diabetic husband has something that works for him as a little treat!

When I first tasted the batter I thought it tasted WAY too bitter, and so I added about 6 spoonfuls of sugar to it, along with a few handfuls of semisweet chocolate chips. I know this added to the calorie count, but it made the cookies way better! Also, you will want to freeze them for two reasons. One is that for some reason they taste much better that way, and I did try them both warm from the oven and frozen. Two is that the bananas in the recipe will go bad quickly if you leave the cookies sitting out on a plate. Overall, a good recipe! Even with the sugar and chocolate chips it is still a low calorie desert!

19. GF Baker says

I was hoping for more chocolate taste but the banana is mostly what I taste in the batch that I made. I’m trying to eat sugar free for a while but once I add sugar back into my diet I think I will try these again with chocolate chips and a small amount of sugar!

20. Insane Mum of 3 says

Just made these and I used a small ice cream scoop to portion out cookies. I got 24 cookies out of one batch, but I made them to feed kids a healthy snack. They taste great, the kids love them and they are not filled with refined sugar! Will have to try the pumpkin option for an autumn flare and will have to look in to some type of nut free substitute for school friendly batches.

Thanks for finding and sharing! love them!

21. Debra says

Was not happy with these. Hubby said he wouldn’t be hurt if I didn’t give him any more. In fact, didn’t even finish cooking the second batch and threw away the dough and remaining 9 cookies that were cooked. Very bland, didn’t like the texture. Sounded great but not so…

22. Keri says

I had 6 very very ripe bananas and I wanted to try something besides the usual banana bread. I think these cookies turned out quite nice. The first batch I made up following the directions (though I forgot the vanilla!) and the kids liked them. The 2nd batch I made a few slight changes. I only used 2 T cocoa powder, put the vanilla in there, added 2T sugar and a 1/4 tsp cinnamon. I also used a TBS when dropping the cookies and I got 2 dz out of each batch. I prefer the taste of the 2nd batch and they taste better the next day. They are nice and chewy and have a nice hint of PB and banana with that slight cocoa taste.

23. Judy Stowers says

I tried this receipe today for my husband. These were the worse cookies I have ever made. I thought I was going to throw up. And I went exactly by the receipe, don’t know of anything I did wrong to make them taste so bad. Now my husband will not shut up teasing me about them. I threw them out with the receipe!

24. Sharon Bull says

It is interesting that half of the posts say how great the cookies are and the others hate them. I really think it might depend upon how much sugar one normally eats, plus ingredient preferences. Since I have reduced my sugar intake my taste buds have changed and many things are now too sweet for me. I have a favorite breakfast fruit smoothie that my husband and I love but it contains no sugar. When I proudly gave it to my friend and her daughter they hated it and thought it was the worst smoothie they have ever tasted! Oh we’ll, different strokes for different folks. Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to try it.

25. margaret says

How many cups of mashed bananas do you need for this recipe. As bananas come in so many sizes, I really don’t know what size to buy. I think that would make a difference in the consistence of the batter. Thank you.

26. Tina says

I have not tried these cookies yet but would love to…one question are they good for diabetics? how much sugar is them I know we don’t add sugar but there is sugar in p.b and the bananas ….thanks

• Cyd says

Just click on the MAGIC button under the picture and then click on NUTRITION. That will give you the nutritional value of the cookies. It’s our new sister site

27. Eliza says

I just made these, and added about 1/4 cup of honey. They are just sweet enough to love and not get “sweeted out” as my kids say. Next time I will add a tiny bit of salt too, just to bring the bitterness down and sweetness up. Thanks for sharing!

28. Carolyn says

I made these to take to my daughter-in-law, who is a vegan. I followed the recipe exactly. They were probably, without a doubt,, one of the worst things I have ever made and I am a baker with a long history of delicious cookies. They are not sweet at all and I threw them out. I mean, really, why have a cookie for a treat if it is not sweet at all? It tasted like cocoa powder. Couldn’t taste the peanut butter, couldn’t taste the banana, couldn’t taste the applesauce. All I could taste was the unsweetened cocoa powder. I ended up making a vegan pumpkin, molasses spice cookie with a little sugar in it that was MUCH better.

29. Sue says

Love these! Raw mix tastes great, cooked and eaten warm or frozen, they taste great. I understand some folks need a little more sweetness and that’s fine too, just add your preferred sweetener to taste. I find the riper the bananas the sweeter the cookie. I also use raw cacao instead of cocoa powder.
    This one is a keeper! Thanks

30. Ghille says

These should not be called “cookies” they are awful! Bitter aftertaste! Texture is like biting into an unbaked stuffing ball! Doughy! These would only be good as a practical joke!

Really!! I made them and feel like the entire time was wasted as well as the ingredients.

31. Adelle says

Love these!!!! After reading reviews I added 2 tsp light amber agave and 1/2 dark chocolate morsels. They’re 2pts for a 20 cookie batch and we’ll worth it to be healthy and kick my sweet tooth a bit. Thank you six sisters!!!!!!

32. Kristna Lindblad says

I agree with the posters here who pointed out that if you are used to eating processed junk and tons of sugar, you will NOT like these cookies. If, however, you generally eat a healthy diet low in sugar and understand the difference between a cookie that will add ten pounds to your thighs and one that won’t and appreciate the taste of REAL food, you will love these. If they’re not sweet enough, and you still want to keep them healthy, add a puree’d date or two or a couple of spoons of coconut sugar.

33. Trina says

Suggestion: It would be more environmentally friendly if you didn’t suggest preheating the oven for a batch of cookies that is going to sit for twenty minutes before baking. Thanks for the recipe.

34. Abby says

Due to food allergies, I substituted cooked quinoa for the oats, vanilla almond butter for peanut butter, and per other reviews, added a bit of agave nectar. I thought they turned out pretty decent. Like someone else mentioned, if you are used to eating regular cookies you will probably not like these. I eat mostly paleo so to me they actually taste pretty good. My husband and 3.5 year old did not care for them!

35. Montana says

I NOW know from thinking and reading the comments that this is a vegan recipe. I didn’t know that going into this. The discription I read was about a women who was disgusted about gaining weight from her pregnancy so she found a low calorie recipe to eat that was sweet and delicious. I’m not a vegan or vegetarian. I don’t know anything about baking vegan other then they don’t use meat or animal products and by products. So yes people including me had a negative reaction to the unsweetened recipe. I see plenty of vegans pointing out AFTER every normal eaters had bad results. I feel the author should of stated that. Simply say if you are not used to vegan or unsugared diet you might want to add sweetner. Just pointing it out that it would of saved several people ingredients time and frustration. If your going to take the time to help people with recipes on eating healthier could you please educate us fully?