Homemade Spudnuts and Glaze Recipe

Two of our sisters, Camille and Kristen, both worked at a doughnut shop in high school.  Our close family friends owned a Daylight Donuts so Camille and Kristen went to work!  I was too young to have a job, but remember thinking how they had one of the greatest jobs of all time.  They got to bring home all of the leftover doughnuts at the end of the day.  Our family finally got to the point where we started getting a little sick of having doughnuts so frequently, so we would hand them out to our neighbors.  We had quite the fan club!  It still broke my heart a little giving those scrumptious doughnuts away.I still love a good doughnut every now and then, especially if it smothered in chocolate.
I don't know if there is anything better than a fresh, hot spudnut! I hate to admit this, but my darling husband was the one who actually made these.  He knows the way to my hungry, pregnant heart!  He was up so early making dough, letting it rise and cutting out the doughnuts.  How did I get so lucky?!

We made a glaze as well as chocolate frosting for our spudnuts, but you could try just about any topping you like!

I think that the doughnut holes may have been the best part! Mmm Mm! They just melt in your mouth!
Homemade Spudnuts Recipe:
If you want to share with a lot of people....do the full recipe.  If you just want to share with several.....do half the batch.  The full recipe made just over 150 spudnuts with about 3 dozen doughnut holes.

Spudnuts:
4 c. milk
1 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbl. vanilla
2 pkg. yeast
1 c. warm potato water (water that potatoes have been boiled in)
1 c. mashed potato
Mix the above ingredients and let set about 30 minutes or until foamy.Then add:
4 well beaten eggs
1 Tbl. salt
12 c. flour

Knead, let rise until double in size.  Roll out about 3/4" thick, cut as for doughnuts (we used two different sizes of circle cookie cutters).  Let rise until double in size.  Cook in hot vegetable oil, flipping when one side is golden.  While still hot dip, in glaze.

Glaze:
1/2 c. boiling water
1 lb. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. vanilla

Chocolate Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbl. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbl. milk or water
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Slowly stir in milk and vanilla extract. Whisk until silky and smooth. If you need a touch more milk to make this a dippable glaze, add a bit more.Dip doughnuts in chocolate glaze and let rest to harden slightly.

Looking for more delicious breakfast pastries?
Here are a few of our favorites:

(Recipe from Kristie's Kitchen Kreations)

1. Jocelyn says:

That does make a lot of spudnuts:-) But they look and sound awesome so maybe it isn’t too many!!! How sweet that your hubby got up early to make them for you.

2. Emily says:

I’m also wondering what potato water is. And can you use the cheap potato flakes for the mashed potatoes, or is the real thing better?

3. Hayley says:

Holy yum!! I am a donut FIEND and have yet to make “authentic” spudnuts or donuts… I just use cake mix :) but I will give this a try since it looks so fluffy and perfect and yummy. Thank you!

4. lljfoster says:

I remember spud nuts being sold door to door when I was a kid (ages ago). So happy to see a recipe for them! I’ll have to try it out with my daughter! Thanks for sharing!!!

5. Thank you! These remind me of e when I was a little girl living in Utah. My brother worked for spudnuts, he rode his bike around the neighborhoods selling them. I have missed not having them, they are THE very best EVER!

6. Deanna Grimm says:

After you mix the first set of ingredients and wait 30 mins (or until foamy), you add the eggs, salt and flour. From this point on, approx. how long does it take (to let dough double in size and then once cut, double in size again)?

7. Sharon says:

I have a question…..when you mix the first ingredients together, you just dump them together in that order? you dont have to dissolve the yeast first? I am making them now, but it never did get foamy on me…..Of course, since the shortening wasnt melted, there was clumps in there, but I mixed it just a bit with a mixer to mix it as best as possible, and it never did get foamy…..it seemed like everything was too cold to make the yeast work……is that normal?

8. Frances says:

Back in the 50′s and 60′s we had a Spudnut shop here in Pampa, Tx. These dughnuts were to die for. To this day people still talk about and still crave them!

9. Carrie says:

Help! Sharon’s comment was not responded to and I have these in the mixer now awaiting the yeast to activate which I’m thinking it won’t do since the milk is cold (the smaller amount of warm potato water is not enough to warm up the milk). I’d rather give up now if they aren’t going to rise…
    (The recipe just said to mix the ingredients together).
    Sharon, did yours work out?
    Anyone, what do you think?