I remember my grandparents taking my sisters and me to Sizzler when I was really young. I am not sure if it was before or after the meal, but I do remember throwing up on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant. The next time I went to Sizzler was my junior year in high school. I was asked to a dance by someone other than who I wanted to go with. He was so, so nice but it was a very awkward situation. While sitting quietly and uncomfortably at my table, I look out the window to see my Mom and a few of my sisters spying on me! Literally peeking in the window and laughing uncontrollably! They seemed to think it was hilarious that I was on this date and had to come witness how uncomfortable I looked for themselves.
I don’t know if I can muster up the courage for another trip to Sizzler anytime soon, so I thought we would try to make a version of their Malibu Chicken at home. We love grilled chicken and this is one of our favorite recipes. The chicken breasts are marinated in a dry rub, smothered in a pineapple mustard sauce and topped with ham, swiss cheese and a pineapple ring. You can serve on a plate or on a bun for a delicious sandwich!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 12 thin slices deli ham
- 6 slices canned pineapple
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons BBQ seasoning (I used Famous Dave's)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup pineapple juice (I just used the juice drained from my canned pineapple)
- 1 tablespoon plain yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Put one chicken breast in a gallon zip-top bag and pound it until the entire breast is uniform in thickness, then move to a platter or rimmed sheet pan. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Season both sides of each chicken breast with the BBQ seasoning, cover and refrigerate at least an hour.
- Combine the sauce ingredients (butter, pineapple juice, mustard, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder) in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until smooth, then set aside.
- Grill one side of each chicken breast and each pineapple ring over direct heat until they are seared and have nice grill marks, about 2 minutes.
- Flip each chicken breast and ring, brush with the sauce, and cook another two minutes.
- Move the chicken to the indirect part of the grill and brush the top of each with the sauce.
- Top each breast with two slices of ham and drizzle the ham with the sauce.
- Put a slice of cheese then a pineapple ring on each breast and drizzle again with the sauce.
- Continue cooking with the grill lid down until the internal temperature reaches 160º, about 10 minutes.
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes?
Here are some of our favorites:
Braised Balsamic Chicken
Honey Lime Grilled Chicken
(Recipe from Patio Daddio BBQ)
Check out our second Six Sisters’ Cookbook!
With over 150 recipes, we have put together 52 menu plans to make meal time a lot easier.
You can order our book HERE!