Slow Cooker Cake Mix Apple Cobbler

I just can't get enough of Apple Desserts right now! I found an old family cookbook and saw this recipe in there. It was so easy and so delicious!

Ingredients:

1Yellow Cake Mix
20 oz can of Apple Pie Filling
6 Tablespoons of butter, melted

Dump your can of Apple Pie Filling into the bottom of your slow cooker.
Spread your yellow cake mix over the apple pie filling.
Then spoon your butter onto the cake mix - DON'T mix the cake mix and butter around. The moisture will make it cook.
Cook on High for 4 hours in your slow cooker.

I took it out right after it was done cooking and put ice cream on top. . . it was SO good!
Hope you like it as much as we did!

- Kristen-

• Laura says:

The instructions arn’t very specific on the cake mix do you pour it straight out of the box onto the apple pie filling? Or do you take the cake mix and mix it per instructions on box first?

• Lorraine says:

I made this recipe in my crockpot – but it burned after 2 hours. I think it should be made in a slow cooker instead of a crockpot, especially when you bake it on “high”

• MNCraftQueen says:

Umm, thanks, but what size slow cooker/crock pot did you use? I have a couple different sizes(2qt, 4qt, and 6qt) and would like to know which one might work best.

• Jennifer says:

I’ve done this with cherry in a 4 qt (it was oval shaped). I think the 6 qt is too big and the 2 qt too small? I think it was about 1 1/2 inches of fruit and then maybe 1/2 inch of crumbly stuff on top.

1. bttrfleye says:

My family makes a version of this and we call it “Dump Cake” Our version is baked in the oven using a can of crushed pineapple mixed with a can of cherry pie filling in a baking dish, sprinkle the dry cake mix on top and put the pats of butter on the dry mix. bake in the oven until golden on top and eat warm.

2. Melissa says:

There is only 2 of us – will this keep in the fridge for a few days and does it warm up ok? If you have ever had any leftovers that is – I’m sure it would be easy to eat it all!!!

3. Sha Misty says:

Making this tonight for church sunday social, hope everyone likes it. I’m using peach, but I have more ingredients to make again next week for my husband’s bday, and will be doing apple. It seems like it’s burning around the edges but the house smells sooooooooooooooooooo good!

4. Sha Misty says:

OMG this was a disaster! it burned all around the edges and there was like 2 servings of this, now I have nothing to take to church :( I did and followed this recipe as is, except for adding peaches. that’s too bad because it really smelled good too!

5. Wine Lover says:

I cook this all the time in the oven at 350 until u no longer c the powder and get a nice golden color FYI don’t drain ur fruit and use the big can

6. Whitney says:

Has anyone used a substitute for the butter, or at least part of it, so you don’t have so much fat in this? It sounds soooo delicious, but not too guilt free!

7. Christen says:

4 hours on high was WAAAAAY too long. Barely made it to 1.5 hours before we started smelling the “burn” from the crockpot. It was really tasty, but next time, I will cook on low.

8. MelCom18 says:

Can I use a can of Sprite Zero instead of all that butter? I have heard of other cobbler/dump cakes that do the same – just not in the slow cooker…

9. So I accidentally prepared the cake mix instead of just adding it to the top without checking for a recipe. It’s in the oven now and I hope it tastes okay! I love this website!

10. Kandy says:

I believe that this recipe needs to be amended per all the comments made, cake mix not to be prepared as normal, size of crockpot used, can of Sprite instead of butter…possibly spraying the crockpot with nonstick spray (as in the oven version) and cooking on LOW rather than HIGH which might alleviate the burned comments. It is a good recipe per oven version which uses two cans of pie filling in a 9 x 13 pan.

• Six Sisters says:

From reading over the comments it sounds like it will work with sprite. We have never used sprite, so we’re just going off of the comments. Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes! -The Six Sisters

11. daisy says:

I made this tonight! I used a 6.5qt slowcooker and cooked it on low for 4 hours. It made enough for me and my boyfriend to have a nice big bowl each with some vanilla bean icecream. I would suggest if you’re making it for a family of 4 or 5 to use 3 20oz canned apple pie filling & 2 cake mixes. (there is more cake part than apple) and then of course cook it longer (maybe 5 or 5 1/2 hrs? Mine burnt a little around the edges but I didn’t mind, we just didn’t eat that part. It was a quick simple and filling dessert. We usually don’t have time to make dessert (ha or dinner for that matter!) because of our 3 1/2 month old, but I like that it took me 3 minutes tops to throw this all together. Thanks for the recipe!

12. cora borealis says:

Most cake mixes come with pudding in the mix so it’s extra moist, would that be okay here? Also, would this be okay for someone with an allergy to eggs?

• Cyd says:

Your cake mix with the pudding should be just fine. This recipe does not call for eggs, so I would imagine it would be fine for someone with an egg allergy. Check the ingredients in the cake mix.

13. Peggy says:

Has anyone made this with cherry pie filling and chocolate cake mix? Would like to try it, but would like to know if anyone else has tried it and the results.

• Barbara Wlmore says:

I make this all the time…cherry pie filling and dark chocolate cake mix and about 4 to 5 tablespoons of butter on top….I also use a crock pot liner and cook on high for an hour then trun to low for another 2 or 3 hours….turns out great and tastes like cherry covered brownies

14. Ethel says:

I made this recipe yesterday for a legion auxiliary dinner meeting and it was a big hit. Not a scrap left! I used my white oval crock pot that is probably 5-5 1/2 qts. I used 3 – 20 oz cans of apple pie filling and one yellow cake mix. I used probably 8-9 tbs of butter melted on top. I also sprayed the sides and bottom of crock pot very good with baking spray. I cooked it on high for 4 1/2 hrs. It did not burn and turned out just perfect.

15. Jane Walker says:

Ok I put these exact ingredients in a really big crock pot. I think it’s one of the biggest ones you can get and I put it on high. In about an hour and a half, I noticed it started to burn on the edges so I turned it off and ate it. It’s awesome. I put a few more about 9 tablespoons of butter though and it was so buttery-licious.

16. Kimberly Honeycutt says:

Our Nursing Home Residents had a blast making this. We doubled the ingredients and went with peach. The long wait mixed with the aroma made the anticipation even better. They LOVED it. I am making this for my family this Thanksgiving. Thank you!

17. barbara says:

I use this all the time in my crock pot….try apple pie filling with spice cake….cherry pie filling with chocolate cake mix….berry pie filling with white cake mix….I always use a crock pot liner cook on high for an hour then turn down to low for 2 or 3 hours…never turns out bad…I also put in the freezer and eat small portions as needed

18. Diane Peiffer says:

I just came upon another 3-Ingredient slow cooker recipe. The other one calls for 2 21oz. cans of pie filling….just wondering which one would work better.