Root Beer Float Cookies

To be honest, we don’t drink a lot of carbonated drinks around here . . . in fact, my kids call carbonated drinks “spicy drinks”. Ha ha! But every once in a while, I just get such a strong craving for Root Beer (and Elyse has been having crazy pregnancy cravings for Root Beer and pizza, so it must run in our family!). I came across these cookies and knew that I had to try them. They are super soft and moist and the frosting on top is what makes the cookie! It doesn’t use actual soda pop, but instead uses just a little bit of Root Beer extract (or concentrate) and it adds the perfect amount of root beer flavor.
If you love Root Beer, you will love these cookies!

Root Beer Float Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen large cookies or 4 dozen medium cookies (depending how big you like ‘em!)

Cookie Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. root beer extract or concentrate
4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Frosting Ingredients:
4 cups powdered sugar (or icing sugar)
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. root beer extract or concentrate

Preheat oven to 375º.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and root beer extract.
Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375º for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Beat until smooth.
Frost cooled cookies.
Enjoy!
Adapted from Silver Boxes
Looking for more yummy cookie recipes?
Here are some of our favorites:
Linking up here and here.
Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

70 Comments

Oh man, root beer is pretty much my favourite thing ever! It’s the number one reason I want to move to America, no jokes! We don’t get it here in England which is just awful! However I do have a little bottle of root beer extract in my baking cupboard, that my sisters kindly brought me back from a trip to California, and it’s screaming out for me now to use it in these cookies!! and since I’m procrastinating my dissertation I might just have too! thanks for sharing!!

This looked like something that I needed to pin, so I actually had to look up your web address from your picture. The only pictures on Pinterest, that I found, linked to the picture but not to your website. This looks like an amazing recipe for a summer party!

I baked these today, and they taste pretty good, but I did not get the same root beer color that you did. Can you tell me what brand of extract or concentrate you used? I would like to get the same color, my icing didn’t take on any sort of color at all. Not very root-beer-floatish or as pretty as yours!

• says

I added a bit of vanilla extract on top everything else to the icing. Changed the colour a bit. I also learned there isn’t such a thing as too much root beer concentrate (I used Watkins)

Wow, just made these for a dinner party, they are AMAZING! Like someone else said above I didn’t get the brown colour that you did, however I did add some vanilla to the icing for fun. They were a hit! Thanks!

• says

I have not tried them without the root beer extract . . . I think that the actual root beer might not give them as strong of a root beer taste (because the extract is so concentrated). If you try it, let us know!

I just discovered your blog recently, and I can’t believe how many similarities there are! I’m one of six incredibly crafty sisters as well! and my kids always say that pop is spicy! totally feel like I’m looking into a parallel universe right now!

There are two things in this world my Grandma loves: root beer and cookies. I made her a batch of these for her 90th birthday and she can’t stop raving about them! She absolutely loved the idea of combining the two..
    Thank you so much for posting the recipe!!

After reading the comments, I added an extra teaspoon of root beer extract and these were a huge hit with my family!! Not sure why some of the other commenter’s cookies didn’t turn out brown…ours area lovely shade of root beer ;)

I made these cookies yesterday, used 2% milk and half wheat flour. I used a root beer extract that would be used to actually make root beer (because I’m 9months pregnant, and we do….). I don’t have the box the extract came in, but the bottle says “Homebrew” “Old fashioned recipe, Root beer” and it’s from our local homebrew store. I imagine it’s more potent than what is available at Walmart or the grocery store. While we haven’t perfected making our own root beer, these cookies are delicious. I did not make the icing because I’m freezing the cookies, but imagine it would be an amazing treat, but only for people who really like root beer. My husband tried the cookies, and said “Well, they taste like root beer” :-)

I make these a lot we love them… My favorite is to make them smaller and with the frosting on the bottom you can make them sandwickes!! So good. My recipe does call for rootbeer extract tho. Yum can’t wait to make them soon.

10. Amy says

These are a hit in my family!! I got 5 dozen out of them. My cookies were a nice light brown, but my frosting stayed pretty white – which I actually think makes them look more “float” like. Vanilla ice cream is white after all! :) I was just wondering if you store these in a cookie jar or in the fridge seeing as there is butter and milk in the frosting?

11. Roxanne says

My boyfriend goes crazy for these cookies…and so do I. They are soft moist and incredibly delicious. I got the rootbeer extract out of the Wilkins catalogue in Canada. I am sure they sell online as well.

12. Sara says

Tried this recipe at home. The icing was wonderful but turned out to be more of a glazed icing. The cookies are kind of flavorless though, not very sweet. Needs more sugar, root beer extract and probably some vanilla extract as well.

13. Jenifer says

I love that your kids call soda spicy! Mine do too. Thought I was the only one. I love root beer but don’t care for the bubbles. So looking forward to trying these. Probably for the 4th!

Thanks!

14. Christa says

I loved the idea of these cookies, however the cookie was more like a dry cake. They didn’t have enough root beer flavor and were dull. The icing was good after I doubled the amount of Watkin’s concentrate. They were not well liked at he potluck I took them to either.