Root Beer Float Cookies

To be honest, we don't drink a lot of carbonated drinks around here . . . in fact, my kids call carbonated drinks "spicy drinks". Ha ha! But every once in a while, I just get such a strong craving for Root Beer (and Elyse has been having crazy pregnancy cravings for Root Beer and pizza, so it must run in our family!). I came across these cookies and knew that I had to try them. They are super soft and moist and the frosting on top is what makes the cookie! It doesn't use actual soda pop, but instead uses just a little bit of Root Beer extract (or concentrate) and it adds the perfect amount of root beer flavor.
If you love Root Beer, you will love these cookies!

Root Beer Float Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen large cookies or 4 dozen medium cookies (depending how big you like 'em!)

Cookie Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. root beer extract or concentrate
4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Frosting Ingredients:
4 cups powdered sugar (or icing sugar)
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. root beer extract or concentrate

Preheat oven to 375º.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and root beer extract.
Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375º for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Beat until smooth.
Frost cooled cookies.
Enjoy!
Adapted from Silver Boxes
Looking for more yummy cookie recipes?
Here are some of our favorites:
Linking up here and here.
Summary
Recipe Name
Root Beer Float Cookies
Published On
Preparation Time
Cook Time
Total Time
Review
3.5 Based on 15 Review(s)
  1. Oh man, root beer is pretty much my favourite thing ever! It’s the number one reason I want to move to America, no jokes! We don’t get it here in England which is just awful! However I do have a little bottle of root beer extract in my baking cupboard, that my sisters kindly brought me back from a trip to California, and it’s screaming out for me now to use it in these cookies!! and since I’m procrastinating my dissertation I might just have too! thanks for sharing!!

2. Aimee says:

I just made root beer float cookies this weekend, up on the blog later this week or next! So so delish! Love your version with frosting!!!

3. BeckyA59 says:

Thanks for the recipe. I don’t drink soda any more, but woke from a dream the other night CRAVING a root beer float! After a trip to the store I am making these for sure!

4. Becky says:

This looked like something that I needed to pin, so I actually had to look up your web address from your picture. The only pictures on Pinterest, that I found, linked to the picture but not to your website. This looks like an amazing recipe for a summer party!

5. Jennie says:

I baked these today, and they taste pretty good, but I did not get the same root beer color that you did. Can you tell me what brand of extract or concentrate you used? I would like to get the same color, my icing didn’t take on any sort of color at all. Not very root-beer-floatish or as pretty as yours!

• Jen says:

I added a bit of vanilla extract on top everything else to the icing. Changed the colour a bit. I also learned there isn’t such a thing as too much root beer concentrate (I used Watkins)

6. Jen says:

Wow, just made these for a dinner party, they are AMAZING! Like someone else said above I didn’t get the brown colour that you did, however I did add some vanilla to the icing for fun. They were a hit! Thanks!

7. The 'Rents says:

I never buy buttermilk anymore. Just add a TBSP of white vinegar to a cup of milk (whatever you have in the house, we use skim). Let it sit for 5 minutes and you have buttermilk!

• Camille says:

I have not tried them without the root beer extract . . . I think that the actual root beer might not give them as strong of a root beer taste (because the extract is so concentrated). If you try it, let us know!

8. MissUnlucky says:

Tried the recipe and did not find it pleasing. It turned out cake-like and the icing didn’t become thick. You couldn’t taste the rootbeer in either of them. :( ((

• Rachel G. says:

I have the exact same problem. Mine also turned out cakey (which I don’t prefer) and I can’t taste any rootbeer. I haven’t even made it to the icing step, lol

9. bononers says:

I just discovered your blog recently, and I can’t believe how many similarities there are! I’m one of six incredibly crafty sisters as well! and my kids always say that pop is spicy! totally feel like I’m looking into a parallel universe right now!

10. Tina B says:

There are two things in this world my Grandma loves: root beer and cookies. I made her a batch of these for her 90th birthday and she can’t stop raving about them! She absolutely loved the idea of combining the two..
    Thank you so much for posting the recipe!!

11. Shanna says:

After reading the comments, I added an extra teaspoon of root beer extract and these were a huge hit with my family!! Not sure why some of the other commenter’s cookies didn’t turn out brown…ours area lovely shade of root beer ;)

12. I made these cookies yesterday, used 2% milk and half wheat flour. I used a root beer extract that would be used to actually make root beer (because I’m 9months pregnant, and we do….). I don’t have the box the extract came in, but the bottle says “Homebrew” “Old fashioned recipe, Root beer” and it’s from our local homebrew store. I imagine it’s more potent than what is available at Walmart or the grocery store. While we haven’t perfected making our own root beer, these cookies are delicious. I did not make the icing because I’m freezing the cookies, but imagine it would be an amazing treat, but only for people who really like root beer. My husband tried the cookies, and said “Well, they taste like root beer” :-)

13. Melia says:

I made these tonight, because root beer is my favorite! They were so yummy! I actually got 6 dozen out of them and they were each about 3-4 inches across. Delish! And THANKS!

14. Jana says:

I make these a lot we love them… My favorite is to make them smaller and with the frosting on the bottom you can make them sandwickes!! So good. My recipe does call for rootbeer extract tho. Yum can’t wait to make them soon.

15. Cam M says:

I make these for my boyfriend all the time, he loves them very much. Just made some today. Turned out yummy as always. Thank you for sharing such a great and easier recipe.

• Cyd says:

We googled it and there are some recipes out there using root beer instead of the extract. You would have to study up on how to change the ingredient amounts.

16. Emily says:

Does the icing harden so that these cookies can be stacked? If not, I think I’ll make sandwich cookies out of them.

17. Joyce arvig says:

I made them but I didn’t think there was enough root beer flavor. Next time I will add more extract.

18. Amy says:

These are a hit in my family!! I got 5 dozen out of them. My cookies were a nice light brown, but my frosting stayed pretty white – which I actually think makes them look more “float” like. Vanilla ice cream is white after all! :) I was just wondering if you store these in a cookie jar or in the fridge seeing as there is butter and milk in the frosting?

• Cyd says:

We eat them within the same day they are made, so never had to store them for too long. If you have some left after the first day, put them in an airtight container in the fridge.

19. Jerusha says:

We don’t have root beer extract here in Guatemala :( and whenever we do get the soda I buy several cans to last me for months. Is there a way I can make the extract myself?

20. Roxanne says:

My boyfriend goes crazy for these cookies…and so do I. They are soft moist and incredibly delicious. I got the rootbeer extract out of the Wilkins catalogue in Canada. I am sure they sell online as well.

21. Earnestine says:

On a Cabo San Lucas Vacation in Mexico you will be able to have
    the most fun-filled holiday trip of your entire life. Andouille-
    Cajun andouille is made of butt or shank meat and fat, and seasoned with salt,
    cracked black pepper, and garlic, and smoked over pecan wood and sugar cane for
    up to seven or eight hours. Shoot for one to two pounds of weight loss a week and you will be
    on your way to losing fat, not muscle. Listen, I thought that authentic tasting flour tortillas were only had in the variety made by hand, and learned from someone who also made
    them by hand.

my page futbol picante justin tv