Italian, Kid Approved Food, Main Dish, Restaurant Recipes

Homemade Pizza Hut Original Pan Deep Dish Pizza Recipe

Homemade+Deep+Dish+Pizza+Hut+Pizza[1]

Our whole family loves Pizza Hut.  It was always a big deal when our parents brought Pizza Hut home rather than a frozen pizza or $5 special they picked up on their way home.  We recreated Pizza Hut’s Original Pan Pizza at home and it was a big hit!

Homemade Pizza Hut Original Pan Pizza Recipe:
Makes three 9″ pizzas
Pizza Dough:

1 1/3 cup warm water (105 degrees F)
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 package dry yeast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for dough)

Sauce:
1 can (8 ounce size) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dry basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

Other Ingredients:
Mozzarella cheese, shredded (2-3 cups)
Desired toppings
9 Tbl. vegetable oil (3 Tbl. per pan, or less if preferred)
Butter flavored cooking spray

Dough:
Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a large bowl. Add water and stir to mix well. Allow to sit for two minutes. Add oil and stir again. Add flour and stir until dough forms and flour is absorbed.

Turn out on to a flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Divide dough into three balls. In three 9″ cake pans, put 3 Tbl. of oil in each making sure it is spread evenly. Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to about a 9″ circle. Place in cake pans.

Spray the outer edge of dough with cooking spray. Cover with a plate. Place in warm area and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Sauce:
Combine tomato sauce, oregano, marjoram, basil and garlic salt.

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
Spoon 1/3 cup sauce on dough and spread to within 1″ of edge. Distribute 1/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese on sauce. Place toppings of your choice in this order: pepperoni or ham, vegetables, meats (cooked ground sausage or beef). Top with 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese (or as much as you prefer). Cook until cheese is bubbling and outer crust is brown (between 10-15 minutes).

(Recipe from CDKitchen)

Linking up here.

Comments

• says

Yes, I used cake pans. I am sure it would work in either one, but I don’t own pizza pans. :) And I wanted something deep enough that it would be a deep dish pizza. Good luck!

I don’t know where you live, but if you have a Kroger/Fred Meyer/ Fry’s/ Smith’s near you, try this tip. (They are all owned by the same company.) I have found that everyone thinks my pizza tastes more like take-out when I use their store brand shredded cheese that is called “Italian Blend”. I think Kraft may have Italian blend as well. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

• says

Hi Lauren!

I haven’t tried it any other way so I’m not sure if how it would turn out without the dry milk. I think using regular milk like you do for rolls would work. Sorry I’m not more help!

I just used your dough and added my own toppings (bbq chicken pizza!), and it was fantastic. I didn’t have any dehydrated milk (or liquid milk, it was a clean out the fridge dinner), so I added a tablespoon or so of cream cheese. I will experiment further to determine how much that changed the dough flavor, but it was pretty excellent!

• says

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. If it’s all cooked. Then just thaw it and reheat in the microwave or watch it closely in the oven. Let us know how it all turns out! -The Six Sisters

• Sean says

In the United States, everything is nicely packaged and convenient for easy use… But for the rest of the world, 1 package or envelope of dry active yeast is roughly equal to 2-1/4 teaspoons, or essentially 1 tablespoon. Happy travels!

• Cyd says

Another reader left this measurement comment…..1 package or envelope of dry active yeast is roughly equal to 2-1/4 teaspoons, or essentially 1 tablespoon.

3. Phanes says

This works even better if you use a cast-iron skillet instead of cake pans, and if you put a couple of pizza stones in the oven. Our oven has four levels for racks, so I put a pizza stone on the lowest rack and one on the top rack. Then the pizza goes on the second rack from the bottom. You have to pull it out a little to see if it’s done, but with a good preheat, it makes for even heat distribution.

4. Deborah says

My family loves this recipe! I’ve made a few alterations. I use the cast iron pans, and be sure to use 3 tablespoons of oil per pan. (I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil wherever it calls for oil.) I also added a clove of garlic with a garlic press to the dough, and a teaspoon of onion powder. Instead of hand kneading, I use the dough hook on my kitchen aid mixer and let the mixer knead for me.

5. Pamela says

It was absolutely delicious and just like Pizza Hut. You don’t need the nonstick spray, just tip the dough into the oil that is already in the pan once you place the dough in the pan. Used a bit more cheese. EXCELLENT!

6. Lesa says

I have made this several times now and even shared it with friends. And it IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST RECIPE I HAVE VER FOUND, and yes it defintely does taste just like Pizza Hut!! Thank you ! Thank you ! THANK – YOU so much for sharing this GREAT AWESOME RECIPE!!! I have even used it to make Garlic Cheese Bread- and it is just wonderful too!! Thanks again!

7. Meghan says

Does it seem like the dough has too much flour in it? I usually just add till it comes off the sides but I was distracted and added almost all the flour this time, and it seems really dense. Hoping it will still make good crust!

8. William says

Love the photo of you guys! Cool background as well. My wife and I dabble in photography. I am definitely going to try this. Love the idea of garlic in the dough and using olive oil from Deborah. Thank you so much