- 1 (15.25 oz) German Chocolate cake mix
- ⅔ cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup evaporated milk (canned)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks (beaten slightly)
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¾ cup coconut
- 1¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (for drizzle on top of cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well blended. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, being sure to not over bake. Let cool.
- Mix evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, margarine and vanilla together in a sauce pan. Stir constantly over medium heat until it comes to a slow boil. Cook, stirring constantly until it thickens - about 10 to 11 minutes (it must be cooked that long).
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans.
- Cool frosting before spreading on cookies.
- You can melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and drizzle over top of frosting (optional).
- This frosting recipe will also frost a 9 x 13 cake.
Be sure to check out our other favorite desserts:
3-Layer Brownie Goody Bars
Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Caramel Chocolate Brownie Crinkle Cookies Recipe
Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies