Banana Cake and Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting

Do you ever find yourself with a ton of leftover bananas that are getting too ripe and covered in spots?
We love banana cookies, banana cupcakes, banana bread, banana muffins and even banana pancakes at our house, but I decided to try something new . . .
Something covered in delicious frosting . . .
You see, I am 16 weeks pregnant and my latest craving has been frosting.
(I know, it’s totally random and kind of gross. But what can you do?)
Anyway, as I was deciding what to do with my ripening bananas, I started thinking about a banana cake my mom used to make when we were growing up . . . and then I thought about how good it would be smothered in fluffy cream cheese frosting.
And then this little baby was born.
If you like banana bread, you will love this.
If you like cream cheese frosting, then you will love this.

If you like both of them, this may be your lucky day!

Banana Cake and Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe type: Dessert
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 24
If you like banana bread, you will love this. If you like cream cheese frosting, then you will love this. If you like both of them, this may be your lucky day!
  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • 1½ cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1½ cups mashed bananas (about 3-4 medium bananas)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ cup milk
  • Frosting ingredients:
  • 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar (more or less until it’s the consistency you like)
  1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
  2. Transfer to a greased 9×13″ baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean). Cool on a wire rack.
  3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar until smooth. Spread over bars. Store covered in the fridge.
Recipe source: Mom’s recipe with my frosting addition :)
Equipment needed for this recipe:

Looking for more delicious cake recipes? Check out some of our favorites:
White Texas Sheet Cake
No Bake Eclair Cake
One Bowl Chocolate Cake
Pina Colada Cake
Chocolate Oreo Cookie Cake

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 2.48.28 PM

We’ve put together 50 of our favorite family recipes to make dinnertime a breeze!
You can get this eCookbook for just $4.99 (that’s less than ten cents a recipe)!

Get it HERE!

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

HOLY COW this looks sooo good….and I’m not even pregnant..:))
    I’ve made this frosting before and I dip anything I can find in it…crackers, cookies, fruit, bread….:)))

I want to STRUT MY STUFF and not sure when you put it up…will come back tonight.

Hhhhmmm I crave frosting and I am definitely not pregnant…what does that say about me:-) We always have bananas on our counter too, so they go into everything I bake!!! This cake is a sure favorite of mine. LOVE it!!!!

Oh my, this looks so yummy! I’m 11 weeks pregnant, but honestly when is frosting not crave-worthy? 😉 I wish I had some bananas getting mushy! I’ll be pinning it so I’ll be ready when I do!

~ Mara @ Super Savings

I just made this. And there are no leftovers if that tells you anything. :) So good. The only thing I did differently was reduced the sugar down to only 1 cup. It was still plenty sweet. I’m now thinking that I may make this for my daughter’s 2nd birthday cake. It was so delicious and is a little more nutritious than a traditional white/chocolate cake. Thanks for the recipe :)

This sounds delish! I found you on Pinterest! :) Have you ever made this in muffin or loaf form? Would it work the same, just with a shorter cook time? I currently don’t have a cake pan available and would love to make this recipe ASAP! :) Thanks!

6. Kathy says

I made this recipe several weeks ago as cupcakes, and they are delicious! I wrapped each in plastic wrap, bagged them, and froze them. I take one out each night and eat them as part of my breakfast. I think they are even better after being frozen, and I like not having the rest sitting around all day calling to me to snack on more. I love the texture, and the ingredients are no more unhealthy than banana bread, so unfrosted, they are perfect for breakfast. Thanks!!

7. Kim kenny says

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for quite a long time now and don’t know why I haven’t tried it sooner. But I finally baked this on Saturday and it is so YUMMY! It’s a big hit with everyone at my house and it probably won’t last another day before the cake pan is empty. I’m definitely making this again, maybe adding some walnuts to the cake batter next time.
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!

8. Andi says

I am making this today for a small group gathering tonight & decided to add a touch of nutmeg to the batter! It sure tasted yummy when I sampled the batter. Can’t wait to taste the cake!

9. Amy says

Delicious banana cake!! I added cinnamon to the cake batter and it was excellent! I wouldn’t put all the frosting on the cake next time. My whole family loved it, even my picky kids!!