Italian, Pasta, Recipes, Slow Cooker

Slow Cooker Bolognese Recipe

My husband can’t seem to get enough spaghetti, but I’m usually too lazy to make homemade sauce.  After using this recipe, I’m not sure I’ll ever go back to buying a jar of spaghetti sauce!  It was so easy to make and smells fabulous simmering all day.

Slow Cooker Bolognese Recipe:
(Recipe from Plain Chicken)
1 lb. Italian sausge
3 Tbl. minced onion flakes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 cup water
2 Tbl. sugar
1 Tbl. dried oregano
1 Tbl. dried basil
1 tsp. fennel seed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Cook Italian sausage in large skillet until browned. Transfer to 5 quart slow cooker. Stir in all remaining ingredients, mix well. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with your favorite pasta.
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Today's Creative Blog

Comments

@Purcelly,

I’ve heard of some people blending up their crushed tomatoes until they are completely smooth or just replacing the exact amount with tomato paste. I hope that helps!

This is a delicious recipe. I made it today for a second time. This time I added the water to my skillet after I browned and removed the sausage. It kicks up all the leftover bits of sausage and adds tons of flavor to the sauce.

If you add 1 shredded zucchini and 1 shredded carrot it is healthy and also tastes great. The kids won’t even know they are eating all those veggies. I have a similar marinara that I slow simmer on the stove. I always use fresh basil though, so much more flavor. I also make ground turkey meatballs to go with it. I’ll have to add a little turkey sausage to mix it up next time. Thanks!

I made this last night with your cheesy breadsticks and it was a huge success. I even went one step further and made the sauce over the weekend (just cooked the sausage threw it in a freezer bag with everything else) and froze it all. Super easy!

5. Dena says

This was a huge success, I got complaints I didn’t make enough! Everyone wanted to take it for lunch the next day but they ate every bite at dinner. Thanks for sharing this!

6. Jen says

Every time I visit my in-laws or they visit us my Father-in-law requests I make this! He says it’s the closest thing to Olive Garden’s meat sauce (his favorite) that we’ve ever made at home, and he likes it even more. Thanks for the great recipes!! I have used two of the burger recipes from this blog and my husband is very impressed with me :)