P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Beef Copycat Recipe

I could eat Chinese food everyday and still enjoy it.  I just can't get enough!  The addiction only worsens when I'm pregnant.  I decided to try and make my own Asian inspired meal and home and it was FABULOUS!
P.F. Chang's Mongolian Beef Copycat Recipe:
(Recipe adapted from Food.com)

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup water
¾ cup dark brown sugar
vegetable oil , for frying (about 1 cup)
1 lb flank steak
¼ cup cornstarch
2 large green onions, chopped

Sauce:
Heat 2 tsp. of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium/low heat.  Don't get the oil too hot.
Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches.
Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then increase the heat to medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove it from the heat.

Beef:
Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4" thick bite-size slices. Tilt the blade of your knife at about a forty five degree angle to the top of the steak so that you get wider cuts.  Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef.  Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.  As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok (you may also use a skillet for this step as long as the beef will be mostly covered with oil). Heat the oil over medium heat until it's nice and hot, but not smoking. Add the beef to the oil and sauté until brown. Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly.  After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels.  Dab excess oil off meat with a paper towel and add to medium saucepan with the sauce in it.  Put the pan back on the oven over medium/low heat.  Add chopped green onions and let sauce simmer until warm. Serve over rice.

Looking for more Restaurant Copycat recipes?
Check out some of our favorites:
I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom
  1. Oh, I think the kids and I will be trying this out this weekend! I remember this place in college that we used to get Mongolian Beef almost weekly, sometimes more than that! Probably where we gained our freshman 15! :)
    ~Amy

2. SuzQ says:

This is amazing. I skipped the ginger and green onions (kids), used London Broil and tossed with steamed broccoli. Wow! Everyone loved it and said they want it again tomorrow!

3. EmilyTheChef says:

We made this last night, it was delish! Some notes: The sauce didn’t thicken, so we added a few tablespoons of cornstarch. Also, we cooked the beef ’till it was kind of crispy. Yum!!

4. KatVonG says:

Made this tonight with venison sirloin. DELICIOUS! Like another person said, about 1/4 of corn starch is needed to thicken up the sauce. Other than that, everything was spot-on. Thank you!

5. So good i like your Blogspot and i have blog to talking about Articles4Recipes and a lot of thing related to recettes de cuisine as recettes de cuisine simple,recettes de poisson,recettes de cuisine facil,recettes de cuisine marmiton,recettes de desserts,recettes de cuisine rapide,recettes de cuisine italienne,recettes de cuisine marocaine and thanks a lot again admin ,,, Articles4recipes.Info

• Aidan says:

Thanks. This will improve the flavor a bit. It’s a bit greasy. I also suggest reducing the amount of oil to fry in to just enough to stir fry the beef, using peanut oil. Same great taste, not as much fat.

6. Anne says:

I use flat iron steak since I find it’s usually more tender than flank steak (at least that I can find in our area). I’ve been making this for about 4months & it’s a hit with adults to kids (the under 10 year old crowd). It does take a little time, but the results are ALWAYS worth it.

7. Amy K5 says:

OMG. This was delicious! I’ve tried many online recipes that were supposed to be fab and were big disappointments, but not this one. I’m making it tonight (a double batch!) and look forward to it.

8. I’ve been making this recipe from food.com for a long time but I like to add thinly sliced onions along with the green onion. Also my fiance prefers his Mongolian Beef over puffed rice noodles which makes for a great alternative to steamed rice. Plus it gives it a little crunch!

9. This was very flavorful, but the sauce was too thin… I also didn’t get the crispy coating on the beef strips to stay on them. They came off on the sauce (I did wait 10 minutes before I fried)… I used London broil, but they were not as tender as I hoped (tried to save a few bucks :-) )… but even with the bad parts, I still love it. Next time I make it, I think I’ll not coat the beef strips with cornstarch at all… and I’ll definately thicken the sauce with cornstarch. I’ll use a more tender beef like skirt steak or top sirloin.

10. AJ's Mama says:

Thank so much for sharing this recipe. I made it with an organic boneless sirloin which was super tender and infused the sauce nicely! There was a perfect salty sweet flavor blend!

for those that attempt this recipe and don’t get a crispy beef…you need to turn the heat up a bit in your pot and cook a smaller amount of beef at a time. You may have to do a few batches. Also, if you use a cheaper cut of beef, pound it down a bit or use a natural tenderizer…or cook the beef and sauce then put in the crock pot for a few hours to make the meat tender. You can def use a less expensive beef, but just need to change your method a bit to make it equally as tender for ya! :)

11. Abby says:

Having worked at PF Chang’s, I can tell you they use potato flour to coat their meats before frying, not cornstarch – that might be why some of you are not getting the crispyness. It can be hard to find, but Bob’s Red Mill makes it.

Also disappointed that the author here does not give credit to the food.com recipe which was obviously her inspiration as the first half of this recipe has been copied word for word.

12. Robin says:

Just made this recipe and it is phenomenal! I am in love with PF Changs Mongolian Shrimp, but decided to give this beef a try… my boyfriend and I have died and gone to Mongolian heaven! I crave their sauce at least 3 times a month so this is a perfect quick home recipe :) for half the price!

13. Ok, after the third try on this recipe, I finally got this dish perfect. This is what I did different: I used thin sirloin steak instead, (because flank steak is too expensive here) and marinated it for 3 hours in the sauce. I used potato starch instead of cornstarch – it is what a lot of high end restaurants use and in asian cuisine. I found it at an asian market. I added about 1 tbl sesame oil. At the end, I needed a little more sauce so i added 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup chicken broth. It was too thin and too salty, so I added about a tablespoon of cornstarch, 2 tbl butter and a squeeze of lemon.

Perfecto! :)

14. dianagirly says:

I tried this in the crock pot! I just didn’t add all the oil (instead, 1 tsp sesame seed oil) and didn’t add the cornstarch until the meat was done and then took the meat out, added in the cornstarch to thicken the sauce up, and added the meat back in. It was soooooo yummy!! thank you!

15. Madeline says:

I’ve tried this recipe multiple times. It always comes out really greasy and way too sweet. I’ve tried cutting down on the sugar and the oil but that doesn’t seen to help. Personally, I don’t think it’s a good recipe at all.

16. This was a super yummy recipe that my whole family adored. I just had to post about it, but don’t worry, I linked back to you a few times over! :) Thanks for the copycat recipe! Cheers!

17. Tried this tonight! Wasn’t disappointed a bit! I used flat iron and didn’t have any problem with the meat getting crispy (I was actually surprised that it got that crispy) or thickening the sauce (I cooked it quite a bit longer than suggested). The only change I would make is using low sodium soy sauce…ours turned out a little salty. Will definitely make again and again and again, and I will try the sesame oil next time!

18. Kimberly says:

Looks delicious!! If I were to make this to freeze, are there any special instructions? How would I unfreeze this meal? Thanks!

19. Lori says:

Just made this tonight and it was delicious! I doubled the sauce ingredients and added a little cayenne for heat also didn’t have green onion so used sweet onions and julliended carrot strips, the meat I used was a sirlion steak.

20. Danielle says:

I’ve actually never been to P.F. Chang’s but I love Asian food! This recipe was so good but I kicked it up a notch with red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. So yummy!

21. BettyM says:

A waitress at PFC’s suggested one night that I order it the way the wait staff does…add green beans to it. OMG!! Delicious

22. Katie says:

Are the nutrition facts for this that are listed on Recipe magic for the whole recipe or for one serving?

• Cyd says:

Hi Katie, The nutrition facts are off for this recipe. I turned the problem in to get adjusted. The calorie count for one serving is closer to 840.