Out West they have a Fresh Mexican Restaurant called Cafe Rio and it was my favorite place to go! My two year old had a birthday so we invited some friends over for a Cafe Rio dinner! It was so delicious and it worked out perfect for a group! Here is what we ate...
Healthy Café Rio Chicken Recipe:- 8 oz (light or fat free) Italian dressing - about half a bottle
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 3lbs frozen chicken breasts
1. Mix cumin, chili powder & dressing in bowl
2. Place frozen chicken breasts in crock pot
3. Pour mixture over chicken & cover
4. Cook on high for 5 hrs or on high for 7 to 8. Shred chicken in the crockpot and mix it well.
Cafe Rio Cilantro Rice Recipe:
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups chopped cilantro
- 1 cup salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 bunch green onions
- 4 cups of water
- A Pinch of Salt
Wash and chop the cilantro. Mix the cilantro with 2 cups of water and pour in the pan for cooking the rice. Add two more cups of water, the salt, Salsa Verde, and onion. Bring to a boil. Stir in the rice in the boiling water. Cover and turn down heat to very low; steam for 30 minutes. Makes about 10 servings.
Put it all together with Toppings:
- Cook whole wheat burrito tortillas on non-greased skillet 10-15 seconds on each side
- Put Chicken, Cilantro Rice, black beans, avocado, lowfat cheese, cilantro, tomatoes, (I also added red pepper, green onions and spinach) inside of tortilla.
- Add anything else you like (fat free sour cream, salsa, etc.)
- Roll up your tortilla and eat your delicious and healthy Cafe Rio Burrito!
My sister Camille also make this Cafe Rio Slow Cooker Sweet Pork Recipe that is to die for! You can find it here. Hooray for Cafe Rio!