German Chocolate Cake Bars Recipe

I love German Chocolate cake . . . all the gooey coconut is so good to me! However, my husband is not as crazy about it as I am, so if I make a German Chocolate cake, I usually end up eating it all myself. Delicious going down, super hard to work off. :)
I found these little bars and knew they would be the perfect alternative to a cake . . . and easy to share with friends and neighbors so that I don’t end up eating them all myself!
German Chocolate Cake Bars
Recipe from Paula Deen

Crust:
1 box devil’s good cake mix (not the kind with pudding added)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg

Filling:
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free and it was fine)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened coconut)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan (I used non-stick cooking spray).
In a medium bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter and egg, and press into the bottom of the prepared pan. The crust should not come up the sides. Bake for 7 minutes and remove from the oven. The crust will not look done.
While the crust is baking, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, egg, pecans and coconut. Pour evenly over the warm crust and sprinkle evenly with the chocolate chips. Bake for 24-30 minutes, until the top is a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.

Be sure to check out our sponsor:

Button

They specialize in the cutest handmade wreaths for every holiday or occasion . . . even if it’s not a holiday, they have you covered! You will love their large selection of beautiful wreaths!

Linking up here!

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

35 Comments

I made this, but used pillsbury devils food cake with pudding added and it turned out fine, i just followed the directions on how to make that cake instead, so there was just a few changes on ingredients needed. I also drizzled hot caramel over the bars when they were done because you can’t have german chocolate cake without that, I don’t know what paula deen was thinking…

Made these tonight, Yumm! Thank you for the recipe. I used the cake mix with pudding, they turned out fine. Waiting for them to cool so I can cut them up. Hopefully everyone will enjoy them at our Christmas eve get together. Merry Christmas!

3. Dawn says

I have a question do you mix the cake mix together and then add butter and the egg, or do you just mix cake mix butter and egg….in other words do I follow directions on box and add in butter and egg too? Or do i just mix the cake mix butter and egg?

Thanks

Sorry I wasnt wanting to make these today and am alittle confused.

4. KJ says

Can anyone tell me if they have frozen these. I have a party of 70 and I do all the cooking for the buffet and desserts. These would be great, however I need to be able to make them about 3-4 days before and freeze.

5. Liz says

These were easy, yummy, and fun to make something different. However, I had a difficult time finding the correct baking time. After the suggested time on the recipe mine were still raw, so I baked them until they looked done and the edges were way over cooked. But the middle was tasty! Look forward to making them again and finding the perfect baking time.

6. Natalie says

This recipe does not work. I did all of the steps as they said on this recipe and the edges burned but the center stayed uncooked. I did not work. It was horrible. DO NOT USE THIS RECIPE

7. Tei says

I’ve made these quite a few times since coming across your recipe and mine have always turned out perfect. They are some yummy and everyone loves them. For those of you who can’t get it to cook right, oven times vary & also depend on your altitude + was the oven preheated, etc.. If it looks undercooked keep cooking until it appears done. If your edges are burning perhaps you didn’t spread out the coconut mixture evenly throughout and there’s too much sitting in the middle. If you did & it still starts to burn put some foil around the edges. Just because the recipe didn’t work for you or maybe you are an inexperienced baker and couldnt think of other reasons that the recipe might not be working or how to fix them, I don’t think you should tell people not to use it. I mean It’s obviously working for others like myself so did you ever stop to think It’s not the recipe but perhaps you? Just calling it as I see it.

8. Tisa says

Just finished making these a little bit ago!!! They are delicious!!!! Super easy to make! I followed the directions exactly!! Thanks for the recipe! I am now taking them to my sons school for one of the teachers birthdays!!!

• Cyd says

Hi Emily, We have only made this using the cake mix. Brownie mix batter is heavier than a cake batter. I’m sure if you follow the package directions on mixing it up and baking times that it would work fine as a brownie bottom. It will be different from our recipe. Hope it all turns out well….sounds delicious!

9. izzy says

I’ve made this recipe about a dozen times now for a Co worker, turns out excellent everytime, i experimented with brownie mix this time -worked but very messy to form into the pan but the taste was perfect, also made one with lemon cake mix and added lemon extract and used coconut and white chocolate chips for the topping. .OMG…omm nomm nomm