Easy Yarn Easter Egg Tutorial

(Adapted from Simply Modern Mom)

So I have seen this a little bit on Pinterest and decided I wanted to give it a shot. I did things a little different because I wanted to make these with as little money as possible. This is what I did
1.  Blow up water balloons. Blow them to the size you want your eggs. I'm wishing I did mine a little smaller
2. Make your glue. I've seen liquid starch, and mod podge, but I didn't want to use those items so I went back to the basics. Pinata Paste. I first added 1 cup flour and 1 cup water and whisk together. (I used a round cake pan because I could see the flour chunks easier). Then I slowly added a little more water until I got the consistency of Elmer's glue.
3. Yarn. Next I added my yarn into the bowl and let it soak for about a minute. My yarn was about 3 yards long per egg.
Some people us a lot of yarn on their eggs but I didn't want to use a ton. I like the fact that you can see through them. If you don't have enough yarn.. no worries you can soak another piece of yarn and continue on the same balloon.
3. Put Your Yarn On Your Balloon. As I slowly pulled the yarn out of the glue I would run it through my fingers to get rid of any access glue. The less glue you have the cleaner your eggs will be.
These are a tad messy so I suggest when you are finished to put them on a cookie sheet. I put mine outside to dry in the sun and it didn't take very long. Don't forget to roll them over to get the bottom side of the ballon dry. I also let my balloons dry and harden completely overnight and inside so they won't blow away. :)
I got a glass bowl at Walmart for $5 and filled it with some of my eggs for my table center piece.
I have also seen a girl make small yarn eggs and make a garland out of them. It was so cute!
  1. Thank you for sharing the cheapest way to do this! I found so many that required fabric stiffener or mod podge and I wasn’t interested in going out to buy a whole bunch of decorations. I still have to buy the ballons but a quick trip to the dollar store will fix that.
    <3, bethanne from http://witchybitchymommy.blogspot.com

2. Alison Perkins says:

I love string balls (eggs). I made over 100 of them for a wedding decorations last fall. I learned that its very important to grease the balloons before wrapping with the string (soaked in glue, sugar water, or liquid starch). As the string dries the balloons (especially small balloons, water balloons) shrink and if the string sticks the string ball collapses. By greasing the balloons there was less collapsing and even for those that did start to collapse I was able to insert another balloon and blow it up to hold the string in place until it fully dried.

3. Jan says:

Don’t rush the drying process!! I ‘tried’ making these with a 5 year old and we let the string dry for only 4 – 5 hours. Not long enough! Also not a good project for a child who doesn’t like to get their hands messy. (She got over it.) Will try this again and let the eggs dry overnite or for several days. I will also try Alison’s idea to grease the balloons. I used glue and water and the yarn stuck to the balloon so much that it was difficult to remove the balloon without destroying the egg.

4. Kirstine says:

Hi. I tried this yesterday. But I used craft glue with water instead. I let it dry overnight. When I put the pin in it. The balloon did not pop. It sucked in and took all the yarn with it so it ended up a mess and flat. What have I done wrong. Thanks

• Cyd says:

We didn’t use craft glue. That could be the problem. We use a flour/water paste. So inexpensive and works great. Doesn’t stick to the yarn at all!

5. MommaC says:

If doing these do not use w/w flour. Did this with the kids a few years back using full size balloons and our idea was for bird cages, so they were large balloons. When I popped them the whole wheat went everywhere. The kids and I were covered with flour dust. They thought it was pretty funny! Lol

6. Laurie Bradshaw says:

These are cute! I would like to make 300 of these balloons for an event for the kiddos. How do I go about putting a recipe to make this many? I know that I would need 300 balloons, but how many gallons of past mixture should I make? Anybody done this?