Italian, Recipes

Stuffed Pizza Rolls Recipe

pizza+bites+recipe[1]

My whole family loves pizza. I love to to sit down with a big glass of root beer and a slice of pizza in my hand at the end of a long week (I’ve been craving a lot of pizza and root beer with this pregnancy)! Last weekend, we decided to try a different twist on pizza with these stuffed pizza rolls. They were so delicious and the seasoning on them is so flavorful! My family devoured every last one!

Pin It

Stuffed Pizza Rolls Recipe:
(Recipe from Our Best Bites)

1 roll refrigerated pizza dough
2 Tbl. grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbl. olive oil or melted butter
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
Mozzarella cheese, diced or grated
Pizza toppings of your choice: ie, ham and pineapple, pepperoni slices, sausage, etc.
Marinara/pizza sauce for dippingPreheat oven to heat specified on pizza dough package (usually it’s 400 degrees).

Unroll your pizza dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat or roll the dough so it’s about 12″ by 8″. You’re going to want to cut it into 24 squares, so just eyeball it if you need to. Use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into 24 squares.

Place cheese and desired toppings on each square (Note that you’re not putting the marinara sauce on the dough- it’s for dipping after). You just need to be able to enclose the toppings in the dough so keep that in mind.
When all of your dough squares have cheese and toppings on them, carefully lift up each square and wrap the dough around the toppings. Pinch to make sure each ball is sealed shut and then place them seam side down in a lightly sprayed pie pan (or similar sized dish).

Brush the tops of the dough balls with olive oil or melted butter (I’ve used both and there’s not much difference in result) and then sprinkle with the garlic, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese (I mixed all of these together and then sprinkled on top).

Cook them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Keep an eye on them! Doughs vary, so I’d check them after even 10 minutes.
Serve warm with warmed marinara sauce on the side for dipping.

I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Today's Creative Blog

Comments

I do something very similar but I use frozen already-cooked meatballs that have been defrosted. I separate biscuit dough (8 biscuits creates 16 balls) and put a meatball and a little bit of cheese into each one. You only need to cook them long enough to cook the biscuits. YUMMY!

Pizza and root beer were my two favorite foods with my first pregnancy! Are you having a boy, by any chance? ;)

This looks positively wonderful! I’ll have to try it! :) Pinned!

Yum! What a great idea – I’m sure my husband would love this. And we could each have what we wanted (I love veggies on my pizza, the other two not so much). :)

Looks good to me! I like the fact that you are using pizza dough….I don’t like the recipes that use crecent rolls….they are too sweet and buttery tasting…just sayin…..gonna try this though! endless possibilities!

Tried this tonight with “1 roll of pizza dough” and it did not make 24 squares no matter how hard I tried! Only got about 10. Def. not as easy as it sounds :( dough is really hard to pull up and not spill toppings everywhere… it’s in the oven now so hopefully the taste will be the redeeming factor

These are soooo good! I was craving pizza hut’s stuffed crust pizza and decided to make these instead. I used homemade pizza dough and homemade pizza sauce for dipping. All I put inside mine was a large chunk of mozzarella. They were so cheasy and gooey and delicious! Definitely one of my new fav recipes…ahh and yesterday we made your chili’s copycat salsa which was also a huge hit. Thanks!!

Root beer, huh. I thought I was the only with that craving. With both of my girls, but not my son, I craved root beer. Especially root beer floats. There is probably a scientific reason for that!

Made these tonight for dinner, with a couple changes. Apparently I like to over-stuff mine, cause I had a hard time getting them to close. So I did them like ravioli! That worked out perfectly, and they came out delicious. I also used ground chicken instead of pepperoni, and when I browned the chicken, I used the same italian spice mix in with the chicken. Gave it a little extra texture, yum!

I’d really recommend two rolls of dough, and make them like ravioli instead of rolls, because it’s so much easier to handle that way. Can’t wait to try it with pepperoni and bacon!

Secret to dough perfection is canned buttermilk biscuits brushed with egg and seasoned. However, I’ve only made them with turkey pepperoni and colby jack cheese, no pineapple or anything else juicy. I always bake them at the biscuit temperature on an aluminum covered cookie sheet until golden brown.