Cookies, Low Fat Recipes, Recipes

Low Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Low+Fat+Chewy+Chocolate+Chip+Cookies[1]

Join us on Facebook and Twitter for our latest recipes and projects!My husband and I have been trying to watch what we eat and make healthier choices, but I can’t live without treats! These cookies were so tasty and only have 2 tablespoons of butter in the whole batch! They are lower in calories than the cookies we usually eat, but you never would have guessed by how delicious they were. We’ve got a new favorite cookie in our house!

Low Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies Recipe:
(Recipe from Skinny Taste)

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbl. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups quick oats
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use a silpat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.

Add the egg, followed by the applesauce and vanilla extract.

Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop heaping tablespoonfuls (approx 1 Tbl. each) of the dough onto prepared baking sheets, flattening each cookie slightly. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.

Let cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container so you don’t eat them all in one sitting!

Makes about 30 cookies roughly 1 Tbl. each.

Weight Watcher’s Information:
Servings: 15 • Serving Size: 2 cookies • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 190 • Fat: 6.3 g • Protein: 2.6 g • Carb: 34.2 g • Fiber: 2.0 g Sugar: 19.3 g

Splenda Lovers: Substitute all the brown sugar with 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, and all the white sugar for 1/4 cup Splenda sugar blend. Points remain the same.

Comments

did you actually try this with the splenda? Does it taste good too? I was thinking about trying it with stevia instead. Looks tasty! THanks! (new follower on facebook:) You have a great blog!

I made these this evening, and hubby and I nearly got sick from eating so many. REALLY good! I must admit that I find it impossible to precisely follow recipes; I often make substitutions or additions based on what I have on hand. Example: I didn’t have applesauce, but I had just make a batch of pureed sweet potatoes as baby food, so I used some of that instead. I also added a bit of almond flavoring. Delicious! Thank you so very much for the awesome recipe! The healthy factor makes me feel better about eating *coughmumblednumbercough* You ladies are awesome!

Can you tell me more about the texture of these? Are they cakey? That’s been my problem with applesauce and cookies in the past – I don’t care for the cakey texture! What do you think?

• says

Hi Jess,

I am not familiar with Weight Watchers so I am not sure how the points would change. I am sorry I’m not more help! Thanks for stopping by!

Just made these – they came out really well! I’d have no idea they’re low-fat. Mine ended up being a little too oat-y, so next time I’ll use slightly less. But otherwise loved ‘em! Thanks for sharing!

• says

Applesauce is a substitute either for eggs or oil in a recipe. We have only followed the recipe exactly, so we aren’t sure what would happen if you changed it up a bit. Best of luck to you!

I needed a quick dessert to take to a dinner party tonight and couldn’t go to the store because of a sleeping baby. So I came here because I knew there would be SOMETHING I could make with ingredients I had on hand. I found this recipe and just made it — they are de-lish :) 3 thumbs up from the kiddos and I’m sure Daddy will love them as well (I made sure not to take ALL the cookies to the party, lol). The only substitute I made was switching the chocolate chips for raisins just because I love oatmeal raisin cookies. Thanks for the great recipe :)

6. Courtnay says

I made these today but I used whole wheat flour, egg whites, bittersweet chocolate chunks and dried apricots and they were amazing. I am not a fan of oatmeal cookies but these I will definitely make again, plus a bonus my 5 year old loves them. thanks for the great recipe :)

7. Leo says

I love these cookies, but lately the dough has been very hard when I drop them on the baking sheet and they are (therefore?) very thick and crumbly when finished. Almost more of a biscuit than a cookie. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!!!

• Cyd says

Not sure what is going wrong if you followed the recipe. You could try adding a little more applesauce to help moisten up the dough.