Cookies, Dessert, St. Patrick's Day

Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies

Grasshopper+Mint+Cookies[1]

These little cookies are some of my favorites! With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I was trying to think of a yummy “green” treat. Green isn’t exactly a color that I think of when it comes to dessert, but then I started thinking about mint . . . chocolate and mint are a match made in heaven, so I whipped up these little cookies. They start with a basic cake mix cookie, are covered with fluffy peppermint icing, and topped with a rich chocolate ganache (that is a fancy word for melted chocolate chips!). Don’t like mint? No problem! Just substitute vanilla extract for the peppermint extract . . . they still taste amazing!

Grasshopper Chocolate Mint Cake Mix Cookies

Cookie bottom:
1 Devil’s Food Cake Mix (I like the ones with pudding in the mix the best)
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs

Mix cake mix, oil, and eggs together (do not follow the directions on the back of the cake mix- disregard them completely). Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-9 minutes (don’t cook any longer than that! You don’t want them to be overdone!). Let cookies cool completely.

Peppermint Frosting:

1/2 c. butter, softened
2 Tablespoons milk
2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
Green food coloring (optional- I added about 8 drops to get the colors of green that I had)
Mix together all the ingredients (add more or less powdered sugar until you get the consistency you like). Spread on top of each cooled cookie.
Chocolate Topping:
2 1/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. butter
Melt chocolate chips and butter together in a double boiler OR in a microwave (I usually microwave for 30-second intervals, then stir and repeat until the chips are fully melted). Spread melted chocolate on each cookie- I have found that it works best to use the back of a spoon to spread the chocolate around.
*These little cookies are super rich! I think that if you didn’t want them to be so rich, use a milk chocolate cake mix and milk chocolate chips.
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Today's Creative Blog
I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom

Comments

We’re not huge mint folks at the K Compound, but I’m thinking you could substitute your favorite extract…mmmm, almond extract. Will have to give these a try soon, too! Thanks for the recipe! :-)

These were amazing and surprisingly quick for such a special cookie. Thanks for the recipe. The only thing I would say is there was waaaaaaay too much chocolate topping, I would cut in half what the recipe calls for and still have enough. Thx again!

• D Miller says

If I’m not mistaken I do a lot of chocolate dipping and I’d guess you could cool that chocolate topping, store it on the shelf (or fridge) in an air tight container and use it again…just heat it up.

Does anyone know how many cookies this makes? I want to make some for my daughter’s class, as well has have some left over.

These look amazing! Grasshopper cookies are one of my absolute faves, and I’m betting these would be twice as good. That picture is making my mouth water. :)

I just finished making these. :). Mine didn’t turn out nearly as pretty, as my mint frosting and chocolate topping ending up blending into each other, and there was a lot more chocolate topping than I needed! However, they taste delicious, and remind me of the old mint Girl Guide cookies. Thanks for the recipe! :)

I made these for a luncheon yesterday! Not a one left. Just posted them and referred to your blog. I like these tons more than mint brownies which were always one of my favorites. Thanks a ton!

I would recommend making the mint icing first and putting it on the cookies and REFRIGERATING them for a while to harden the mint icing. I didn’t do this and I had to pipe on the chocolate icing on top and had way too much icing on my cookies!

Making these today and I’m glad I read the hints about refrigerating after applying the mint frosting. I’m making mine an “adult” version by adding creme de menthe in place of the peppermint extract and adding some creme de cacao to the chocolate ganache. Here’s hoping they turn out alright.

Soooo good! Who would’ve thought that cake mix could double as cookie batter?!? However, the mint flavor in the frosting was a bit too strong for my taste, so maybe just use 1 tsp. mint extract. Also, I did not have the time or patience to make another frosting so instead of chocolate topping, I dipped the mint-frosted cookies into mini chocolate chips and choco sprinkles. Much less work and they came out prettier than they would with the topping!

10. Rachel says

I made these yesterday, and they are delicious!! Thankfully I read the comments before making them because there definitely would have been too much chocolate topping if I followed the directions. half of the chocolate topping ingredients is perfect.

11. Jolanda says

Thank you so much for this recipe. I’m a big fan of grasshopper things! Could you please give recipes without pre-fab mixes, because a whole lot of your fans abroad can not buy those. Could you explain how I can ‘make’ this mix?
    I would be ever so grateful!

12. Bernadette says

My favourite combination… Just finished making theses and I think I should hide them, they are incredible and so easy to make !!

• Cyd says

Just click on the MAGIC button under the picture and then scroll down and it should give you the servings. Or you can click on NUTRITION and it will give you all of the nutritional info. This is our new sister site – MyRecipeMagic.com. Hope you’ll stop by and check it out. Perfect site when you are looking for recipes. Can even add some yourself. Don’t have to be a blogger to enter recipes. -The Six Sisters

13. Cathy says

Hi,
    Just wanted to let you know I am sharing your wonderful post tomorrow in my “100 Something Green St. Patricks Day RoundUp” http://wp.me/p466oG-11f with a link back to your original post plus pinned to my St. Patricks Day Board! Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy from APeekIntoMyParadise.com

14. Kelly says

Woot, this is my kind of cookie! Super delish. Thanks for sharing, I made these for a work event and they’re going over really well. I had the same experience with others that there was about 2x as much chocolate topping as I needed, and it was important to refrigerate the icing since it was so soft after being applied.

15. Duane says

These cookies are great! And so easy to make. We added them to our Christmas cookie lineup a year ago and they became a favorite. One word of advise…do not make the cookie dough ahead of time. It will separate and will not reincorporate.