Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies

These little cookies are some of my favorites! With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I was trying to think of a yummy “green” treat. Green isn’t exactly a color that I think of when it comes to dessert, but then I started thinking about mint . . . chocolate and mint are a match made in heaven, so I whipped up these little cookies. They start with a basic cake mix cookie, are covered with fluffy peppermint icing, and topped with a rich chocolate ganache (that is a fancy word for melted chocolate chips!). Don’t like mint? No problem! Just substitute vanilla extract for the peppermint extract . . . they still taste amazing!

Grasshopper Chocolate Mint Cake Mix Cookies

Cookie bottom:
1 Devil’s Food Cake Mix (I like the ones with pudding in the mix the best)
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs

Mix cake mix, oil, and eggs together (do not follow the directions on the back of the cake mix- disregard them completely). Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-9 minutes (don’t cook any longer than that! You don’t want them to be overdone!). Let cookies cool completely.

Peppermint Frosting:

1/2 c. butter, softened
2 Tablespoons milk
2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
Green food coloring (optional- I added about 8 drops to get the colors of green that I had)
Mix together all the ingredients (add more or less powdered sugar until you get the consistency you like). Spread on top of each cooled cookie.
Chocolate Topping:
2 1/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. butter
Melt chocolate chips and butter together in a double boiler OR in a microwave (I usually microwave for 30-second intervals, then stir and repeat until the chips are fully melted). Spread melted chocolate on each cookie- I have found that it works best to use the back of a spoon to spread the chocolate around.
*These little cookies are super rich! I think that if you didn’t want them to be so rich, use a milk chocolate cake mix and milk chocolate chips.
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Today's Creative Blog
I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom
Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

53 Comments

These were amazing and surprisingly quick for such a special cookie. Thanks for the recipe. The only thing I would say is there was waaaaaaay too much chocolate topping, I would cut in half what the recipe calls for and still have enough. Thx again!

I just finished making these. :). Mine didn’t turn out nearly as pretty, as my mint frosting and chocolate topping ending up blending into each other, and there was a lot more chocolate topping than I needed! However, they taste delicious, and remind me of the old mint Girl Guide cookies. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Making these today and I’m glad I read the hints about refrigerating after applying the mint frosting. I’m making mine an “adult” version by adding creme de menthe in place of the peppermint extract and adding some creme de cacao to the chocolate ganache. Here’s hoping they turn out alright.

Soooo good! Who would’ve thought that cake mix could double as cookie batter?!? However, the mint flavor in the frosting was a bit too strong for my taste, so maybe just use 1 tsp. mint extract. Also, I did not have the time or patience to make another frosting so instead of chocolate topping, I dipped the mint-frosted cookies into mini chocolate chips and choco sprinkles. Much less work and they came out prettier than they would with the topping!

5. Rachel says

I made these yesterday, and they are delicious!! Thankfully I read the comments before making them because there definitely would have been too much chocolate topping if I followed the directions. half of the chocolate topping ingredients is perfect.

6. Jolanda says

Thank you so much for this recipe. I’m a big fan of grasshopper things! Could you please give recipes without pre-fab mixes, because a whole lot of your fans abroad can not buy those. Could you explain how I can ‘make’ this mix?
    I would be ever so grateful!

• Cyd says

Just click on the MAGIC button under the picture and then scroll down and it should give you the servings. Or you can click on NUTRITION and it will give you all of the nutritional info. This is our new sister site – MyRecipeMagic.com. Hope you’ll stop by and check it out. Perfect site when you are looking for recipes. Can even add some yourself. Don’t have to be a blogger to enter recipes. -The Six Sisters

7. Kelly says

Woot, this is my kind of cookie! Super delish. Thanks for sharing, I made these for a work event and they’re going over really well. I had the same experience with others that there was about 2x as much chocolate topping as I needed, and it was important to refrigerate the icing since it was so soft after being applied.

8. Duane says

These cookies are great! And so easy to make. We added them to our Christmas cookie lineup a year ago and they became a favorite. One word of advise…do not make the cookie dough ahead of time. It will separate and will not reincorporate.