Congo Bars Recipe

We are big cookie people around here but I don't always have the patience to make a big batch of cookies. These Congo Bars are so easy to make and taste just as (or more) delicious as homemade chocolate chip cookies!
Congo Bars Recipe:
2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. butter, softened
2 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 package milk chocolate chips
1 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Combine butter and sugar using a mixer until blended. Add eggs, one at a time to sugar mixture, mixing on low in between each addition. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour and mix until combined. Stir in chips and then pecans.

Coat a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray and spread batter evenly into dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Make sure you don’t over bake.
(Recipe adapted from Bakerella)
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Today's Creative Blog
Summary
Recipe Name
Congo Bars
Published On
Preparation Time
Cook Time
Total Time
Review
2.5 Based on 15 Review(s)
  1. Fliss says:

I have these in the oven right now! My lil’ guy will be excited about them once he’s home from school. :) I didn’t have any milk chocolate chips on hand, so I made them with semi sweet. No doubt they will still taste amazing!

2. Nicky says:

Tonight is the second time I have made these for my kids (and me…oh yes…for me, as well) and they are absolutely delicious!
    Thanks for the awesome recipe!

3. naomi says:

I plan on making these tonight so my daughter can take these tomorrow for her summer school class. My daughter turned 5 year old today. Thanks for a nice simple quick recipe. I love looking at your blog. :)

4. Unknown says:

These were delicious. Pretty quick and easy. Nice and soft. I added pecans and walnuts. Will definitely be making these again! Would be delicious heated up with some ice cream on top!

5. Christen says:

I had a craving for something sweet and had all the ingredients on hand. They were so quick to make and turned out DELICIOUS! I satisfied my craving and now am left with the rest of the batch! Good thing I halved it because they are going to be all gone very soon!

6. Monique T says:

I am super excited to try these, I have decided to give up on chocolate chip cookies and try making them into bar, I can make breads, and cakes and other good items, but I just can’t get the chocolate chip cookies right, I hope this works!

• vikki buss says:

I have the same problem, my choco chippers suckers! However, I made this recipe into cookies – I just dropped them by tablespoons onto the cookie sheet and they came out fabulous…now I have a good recipe for choco chips!

7. vikki buss says:

I just made the conga bars, however I just dropped them by tablespoons onto my cookie sheets and they turned out fabulous as a cookie…thank you for sharing this recipe — now I have a new cookie recipe to send with my daughter on Saturday’s for her EMT training..