Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies Recipe

Pin It

Ever since I was little, I have loved chocolate-covered cherries. My husband, on the other hand, hates them. So when I whipped up these brownies a week ago, I had to eat the whole pan by myself.
It was a hard job, but someone had to do it!
If you love chocolates and cherries together, this is the brownie for you.
The cherry-chocolate filling tastes just like Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream (which is a personal fave of mine!) . . . I am pretty sure I could have just eaten the filling straight out of the bowl with a big spoon. It was so yummy.
Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies
Brownie layer:
1 brownie mix (the 9x13 size)
Eggs, oil, and water called for on the back of the box
Prepare brownies and bake as directed on the box. Let cool.
Cherry-Chocolate layer:
(if you have never seen her site, I highly suggest you check it out! She will have you drooling in no time!)
2 sticks butter (1 cup), slightly softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks, chopped into small pieces (chips would work too)
1 (6 oz) jar of maraschino cherries
In the bowl of a mixer, combine butter and 4-5 Tablespoons juice from the maraschino cherries. Beat until the butter is smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium high and beat for about a minute and a half. Remove cherries from the jar and give them a rough chop (you can use as many as you liked- I used about 1/2 cup of chopped cherries, which was the whole jar). Roughly chop your chocolate chunks and fold it into the filling with the cherries.
Spread over the top of cooled brownies.
Chocolate layer:
2 1/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. butter

Melt chocolate chips and butter together in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, and repeat for 30 more seconds. Continue to do this until chocolate is smooth and melted. Spread over cherry-chocolate layer. Let set up until hardened (stick in the fridge if you need them set up faster) and then cut and serve!

1. Jocelyn says:

Uuuummm no words come to mind at the moment other than YUM!!!

Ok, maybe a few more like amazing, delicious, you are awesome!!! You get the point.
    (I’m pretty sure I would be eating that frosting with a spoon too:-)

2. rebekahdawn says:

Totally agree with the previous poster…mine turned out awful. Super runny and the butter ratio seemed to be off to me (and it wouldnt mix in with the cherry juice). I tried adding more sugar but it still wouldn’t work :(

3. Karli says:

Mine came out just about perfect. Here is what I changed:

1.Use 3 T juice for the icing (more juice will come from the chopped cherries as they are worked in to the icing).
    2. Freeze for about an hour after the cherry layer is added (it needs to be really cold so the warm chocolate doesn’t melt the cherry layer).
    3. Finally, every person who tried this agreed it was way too much chocolate on top, (I followed the recipe exactly) it was thicker than a Hershey bar! Next time I would use half the chocolate and have either a thin layer on top or just a really pretty drizzle. Since there is chocolate in every layer I sincerely doubt it would be missed. Hope this helps

4. I disliked these strongly. My mother asked me to make these on a whim since they looked so good. Needless to say, they were nasty. The chocolate was way over the top in quantity and the frosting was too sweet. No one in my family liked them even though we’re all huge chocolate covered cherry fans. Waste of energy and money. I won’t be making these again.

5. MStrong says:

I just made these last night for a gingerbread house decorating party we had last night … seriously AMAZING! Everyone couldn’t get enough of them!!!! As Karli mentioned aboved, the top chocolate layer was too thick (that didn’t stop anyone from gobbling them up though!). Next time I will make a very thin layer of chocolate on top.

A FANTASTIC RECIPE! THANKS SO MUCH!!!! :)

6. Kathleen says:

I made these last night and they turned out really well! I did make some changes though after reading other comments.
    1. For the cherry layer, I used 10 ounces of cherries, 3 tablespoons of juice, and I taste tested as I added the powdered sugar and decided to stop at 3 cups. It tastes like cherry frosting, not Cherry Garcia, to me though.
    2. I only made 2/3 of the top chocolate layer (1/2 c butter and 1 1/2 c chocolate chips). And I put the pan in the freezer before added the top layer so it didn’t melt the cherry layer. I think it was probably easier to cut them while they were frozen as well.

I made them for a bake sale, so I haven’t heard what others thought of them yet, but I thought they were delicious!

7. Sinea says:

You know, the chocolate cherry combo has only been appealing to me in choc covered cherries. My dad, however, is a fanatic. I think he’d really enjoy this! :)

8. Christine says:

Ok, so you so HAVE to make some for me!! They look sooooooo good!!!! YUMMY!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream To Reality! I’m looking forward to seeing what you link up this evening! :)