Asian Food, Chicken, Healthy Meals, Main Dish, Recipes

Healthy Asian Glazed Chicken Drumsticks Recipe

I really love Asian Food.
As I mentioned before, my bro-in-law lived in Thailand for a couple of years and introduced me to some amazing Thai dishes and I have been hooked ever since!
I came across this recipe and knew I wanted to try it . . .
and BONUS! It’s a healthy Weight Watchers recipe!
I didn’t tell my husband that it was actually GOOD FOR HIM, I just served it for dinner and watched for his reaction.
His exact words:
“This chicken is amazing! I could seriously eat this a couple times a week!”
Mission accomplished. :)
Asian Glazed Chicken Drumsticks
Recipe Source: Skinny Taste

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 2 drumsticks Old Points: 5 pts Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 213 • Fat: 4.7 g Protein: 27.5 g Carb: 12.7 g Fiber: 0.4 g

• 8 medium chicken drumsticks, skin removed
  • non-stick cooking spray (I used Pam)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce* (more or less to taste- I used about 1/2 Tbsp and it was perfect for me)
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 4 tsp sugar
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp ginger, grated
  • 2 tbsp chives or scallions, chopped
  • 1 tsp sesame seeds

In a heavy large saucepan, brown chicken on high for 3-4 minutes with a little spray oil. Add water, balsamic, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, hot sauce and cook on high until liquid comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes. Remove cover and bring heat to high, allowing sauce to reduce down, about 8-10 minutes, until it becomes a thick glaze, turning chicken occasionally. (Keep an eye on glaze, you don’t want it to burn when it start becoming thick) Transfer chicken to a platter and pour glaze on top. Top with chives/scallions and sesame seeds and serve. We served it with some rice and broccoli . . . it was delicious!

*Sriracha hot sauce is available at most grocery stores and Wal-Mart. It is a Thai chili sauce with amazing flavor. It cost me about $3 for a huge bottle of it and it is totally worth it. The flavor it adds is so yummy.

Tip Junkie handmade projects
Todays Creative Blog

Comments

@Anonymous- Funny you should ask that because I was just thinking that same thing this morning! The only thing that would change would be the cooking time- I think that you might need to cook them a little bit longer to make sure they are cooked all the way through. Other than that, I see no problems whatsoever!

@Lindsey- it definitely adds a little spiciness to the chicken (but in a good way!). I am totally a “heat wimp” and I thought it was the perfect amount of spicy. However, both of my kids thought it was kind of hot and didn’t eat much of it.

Found this off Pinterest and made it tonight. I had pretty much everything for it in my pantry as well. I added a bit of orange zest and juice to it. It was delicious!! My husband was skeptical but went for seconds (and saved the one drumtick left over for lunch tomorrow). Will be added to our meal rotation.

Made this for my girlfriend last night, and she LOVED it! The only problem I had was that the sauce didn’t reduce down to a ‘thick glaze’… even after about 15-17 minutes. What’d I do wrong?

• says

I am so sorry! I don’t know why it didn’t work! Sometimes it does take quite a bit longer to thicken up, but it seems like it would thicken up after more than 15 minutes! I am so sorry!

This is a great recipe! The sesame seeds and sriracha add a nice kick to it. The recipe is very close to the Filipino adobo that I’m so used to making.

I’d love an answer to Jordan’s question (above). When I went shopping (this is the 1st time I’ll be making drumsticks), I was the little drumsticks you get if you order chicken wings from a pizza place. At the store, I could only find much bigger ones. The recipe calls for medium-sized ones, so I assume – & really, really hope! – that what I bought is right! My parents are coming on Saturday to celebrate a belated Christmas with our family, so I’ll be making pizza & these drumsticks to go with it! I know I can’t go wrong with a Six Sisters Recipe; we always love them! Thank you for your help!!

• says

You were right! It was absolutely perfect… everyone loved them. We love all your recipes, & I can’t tell you how often I recommend your site!!! I also had a problem with the glaze, though… even after I removed the chicken & let the sauce boil on high for quite a while, it never thickened. But it tasted DELICIOUS!!! Thank you!

7. Rachel says

I made this tonight and read all the comments first, so I thought I would need to let the sauce stay on the heat longer to thicken up, it was on for less than 8 minutes and I burnt it! Haha, next time I’ll know better. Otherwise, the Drumsticks were very good.

• Cyd says

If you look on our post for this recipe it says that this recipe source is Skinny Taste. We always give credit to other bloggers if we adapt one of their recipes.

8. Shauna says

I tried this recipe and everyone loved it! I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and it turned out just fine.

9. Katie says

I made this tonight for my family and it was delicious! I cooked the chicken on the grill then transferred it into the thickening sauce because I made extra chicken. The meal was very tasty with a nice kick to it. I will definitely be making it again! Thanks!