Breakfast, Recipes

Banana Bread Pancakes Recipe with Vanille Maple Glaze

Banana+Bread+Pancakes[1]

Join us on Facebook and Twitter for our latest recipes and projects! My husband loves a home cooked breakfast.  After seeing a bunch of brown bananas on my counter, I decided to give this recipe a whirl!  These were so delicious and you get the scrumptious taste of banana bread without all the work!
Banana Bread Pancakes Recipe:
(Recipe from How Sweet It Is)

makes 12 pancakes

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I’ve used all purpose flour before and it works just fine!)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Measure out the milk and add the vanilla extract to it. Whisk together the dry ingredients and add in milk and vanilla, stirring to combine. The mixture will still be dry. Add in mashed bananas and mix. Add in melted butter and stir until batter is somewhat smooth.

Heat a skillet or grilled on medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measure, spoon batter into rounds and cook until bubbles form on top – about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two more. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with butter and syrup, or the vanilla maple glaze.

*If you don’t have/can’t find whole wheat pastry flour, use 1 cup of regular whole wheat and 1 cup of all purpose. Or 2 cups of all purpose.

Vanilla Maple Glaze:

1/2 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. Pour over pancakes.

I'm Lovin' It at TidyMom

Comments

These were amazing and my family loved them! We used sorghum flour and GF all purpose as well as almond milk, so they could be gluten free and dairy free :)

Excited to try these! We have to go dairy and egg free, so it’s great to see a recipe that doesn’t need eggs… I can easily sub milks. Thanks!

I substituted oat flour (just put oatmeal in the food processor or blender) for 3/4 of the whole wheat, and added a little more milk. Blueberries would be amazing in these, too!

I literally just made these (still cooking!) and they are really good but SUPER doughy, not at all like pancakes or any type of bread. Any suggestions?

That is great recipe. I love bananas pancakes. Never before tried with whole wheat flour .
    And I like your pictures you added, oh boy that makes me really …. hmmmmm
    Thanks.

Tasty and healthy. I substituted coconut milk for the milk, coconut oil for the butter and added about 4 tbsp of water to thin out the batter. The coconut substitutes nicely complemented the banana flavour.

I had issues with a doughy consistency in my pancakes too. I added about 1/2 cup more of milk and it seemed to help a bit.. Maybe its because I used whole wheat all-purpose flour? On the plus side.. The flavor was great and we added chocolate chips to them too!

I had the same problem with the consistency. I increased the milk (almond milk in my case) and I added an egg. I also added a bit of carbonated water to increase the air inside the batter to matter it fluffy. The product tasted like a banana bread.

These were fabulous! I mixed up all the dry ingredients the night before and added the “wet” ingredients the next morning. I DID use overripe bananas (I always freeze mine first, then thaw them, which I think makes them more liquidy) and had no issues with a doughy middle. Dessert for breakfast? I’m all about that…and so were my kids!

Followed the directions and they were way too soft. The Maple Glaze is sickly sweet too. I’m going to skip this one. Thanks though for the creative suggestion.

I made these today, and I was pleased with the flavor and how they turned out…although I did have some problems with a doughy consistency…like others have said.
    I used all whole wheat flour, 2 large bananas, and about twice the amount of milk (skim). I also added a whole egg and substituted natural applesauce for the butter. I did not make the glaze but topped my pancakes with more of the natural applesauce.
    The batter was still pretty thick, but I learned quickly to spread it out well on my griddle so that it all got cooked. Using a 1/4 cup to measure out the batter, my recipe made 10 pancakes. I ate 3 of them for lunch. One was a little doughy, but I still liked it. The other 2 I had were less so.
    I would make these again, especially knowing what I know now…

12. Katie says

Omg!! I am obsessed with banana nut bread and would just love to try out these banana pancakes. They look so delicious!!! I really hope they come out good the first time because I’m not so much of a great cook.

13. Robin says

This looks delicious and people seem to have made it successfully, but it is misleading. It says to mix the flour mixture with the 2/3 cup milk and vanilla and that it will “still be dry”. It is SO dry it is not even possible to mix…dryer than trying to mix up bread dough, dryer than anything I can even imagine. I have been stirring it for 20 minutes, and I still have piles of flour at the bottom of the bowl. I can’t figure out how anyone makes these!!!

14. Jim Cutler says

I made this for breakfast a few weeks ago and we all liked them very much. I did add just a splash of milk to get the batter a little thinner. I was wondering how come there isn’t an egg or two in the batter? Jim