Fitness

8-Week Printable Weight Loss / Get Healthy Challenge

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Here’s hoping that 2012 is your best year yet!
 Have you made your New Year’s Resolutions yet?
I always want to lose a couple of pounds (especially after the holidays).
My cute friend Allison told me about an
that she had organized for her family. She shared with me all the details and all the sisters tried it out last summer.
It was seriously one of the hardest things that I had ever done . . .
but I lost the weight that I wanted to, got into much better shape, learned that all my snacks during the day didn’t need to involve sugar, and had great motivation to stick with it.
So, I am sharing with you today the
8 Week Weight Loss / Get Healthy Challenge!!
It would be perfect to do with your family, friends, co-workers . . .
anyone who wants to get into shape and lose some weight in a healthy way!
I have started a lot of diets and programs, but I never stick with them because I don’t have anyone motivating me along the way . . . however, since we did this as family, we all kept each other going (and pushed each other to do a little more!).

(Sisters #2 and #4- Kristen and Steph- ran the Park City UT Pink 1/2 Marathon! Sisters #1 and #3- Camille and Elyse- cheered them on)

You can print off your Challenge HERE.
Basically, this challenge breaks it down by each individual week. You can earn points by doing healthy things, such as exercising, not eating sweets, drinking water, eating fruits and veggies, etc. At the end of each week, you tally up your points and weigh yourself (you get LOTS of points for every pound that you lose). If you want to make it really fun, have everyone who does the challenge pay a small amount of money to enter. At the end of the 8 weeks, the person who lost the most weight gets half of the money and the other half goes to the person who earned the most points.
Some of the sisters are starting this challenge again on 1/2/2012 (tomorrow!!). If you want to join us, print out your challenge and play along!
During the next 8 weeks, we will also be sharing some healthier recipes, exercise ideas, and other things to keep you going!
Good luck and have fun!Other Information and Frequently Asked Questions:

-This is an 8-Week Challenge that starts on a Monday (you pick what Monday to start on)
-Decide an amount that each person pays to enter the challenge (we did $25 a person)
-There is a weekly point calendar for each of the 8 weeks. You earn points by eating healthy, exercising, drinking water, etc… It’s not just for weight loss!
-Beginning on Week #2 there is a double point challenge (highlighted in yellow)
-You can exercise each day, but you will only receive points for exercising 5 days a week.
-You can choose to not each sugar/treats each day, but you will only receive points for not eating sugar on 6 days (everyone needs a free day!).
-There is a sample food journal that you can use or you can use your own kind of food journal to keep track of what you eat.
-Weight yourself anytime each Sunday and tally up all points by 9 PM. Make sure that you weight yourself under the same circumstances each week (for example: Morning/Night, Empty/Full stomach)
-Choose someone in your challenge who will be the one you send a weekly email/text to with your totally weekly points and totally weight loss points for the week. They will have to keep track of everyone’s points and then have them send out an email or text with everyone’s standings on Mondays. We said that all points had to be emailed/texted by midnight on Sunday. If you didn’t send an email/text by that time, you received no points for that week. So each week you will send in 3 numbers: Your weekly points, you weight lost for the week, and your total points for that week.
-Daily contact with teammate: It’s amazing the strength that comes from encouragement from your teammates! We decided as a team that you could email, call, or text someone on your team to encourage them to have a healthy day. It helps knowing that you are all in this together and makes you accountable for what you do or don’t do.
-Example of weight loss points: You will get 5 points for maintaining your lowest previous weight AND 10 points for each whole pound. For instance, if you gained weight, you will report 0 points AND you don’t get any weight loss OR maintenance points in future weeks until you return to the lowest weight you had already achieved. If you maintained your previous lowest weight, you report 5 points. If you lost 1 pound, you would get 5 points for maintaining plus 10 points for that pound, so you would report 15 points.
-Cash prize money will be divided equally between the person who loses the largest percentage of weight and the person who has the most total weekly points.
Questions:
1. How many people do you need to do this challenge?
You can include as many people as you like! You could even just challenge yourself and use this as a guideline!

2. What defines a “sugary treat”?
You can decide as a group what your you will include as a sugary treat. We made a list of things we thought were treats and then everyone was on the same page.

Comments

Oooh. I just read through the whole thing and it looks great! When I was single my roommate’s family did something really similar and I got sucked into doing it too. It was hard, but so worth it. Perhaps I’ll have to see if I can find some people who want to join in. :) Thanks!

Just recently found your blog and enjoy it! I love this weight loss challenge. It sounds like a fun way to get motivated. I’ll be checking in and hope “The Sisters” who are participating as well as any of your followers who are playing along will post or leave comments regularly. Thanks for sharing this idea.

this looks really good! i wish i had someone to do it with, i think i’ll have to just use it as a guideline for myself instead. i’m currently starting a new blog which ive just started the special K challenge! i think both put will power to the extremes so after that i’ll definatly use my new will power to put this challenge to the test.

I shared this challenge with my group of girlfriends and we are starting on Monday the 16th!! So excited! I have a question about the points for exercise and Sweets/sugary treats – so do you get points per day on those – but only if you stick with it for the 6 days (for sweets) and 5 days (for exercise)?

I shared this with my family and friends and we are also starting Monday the 16th, we are up to approx 42 members and we are so excited to this adventure, we have people of all shapes and sizes and from 20’s to 70′ in age. Thank you for posting this on Pinterest!!

One more question, at the end of the challenge, for the 2 cash prize winners – the Total Weekly Points winner…does that point total include points from Weight Loss or just weekly points?

The great thing about this is you get to decide with your group how hard-core you want to go. :) We sat down and made a list of things that counted as “sugar/sweets” so that everyone was on the same page. You get points for not eating sweets 6 days a week. That way you have one free day if you decide to eat a sweet, or you can choose not to eat sweets on that 7th day (but you don’t get points for it).

I am starting this tomorrow! I Hope it’s going well for you guys. I am having a problem printing it out. When the PDF comes up the days of the week are on the previous page so the table is a little split. This isn’t really too big of a problem but I wondered if you could check it out? Thanks~

I would like to begin this next week but the gmail document is printing incorrect. At week 4 it starts to do something strange and messes up the rest of the document. Can someone take a look at it? Thanks…excited to start this challenge.

Two of my friends and I just started week four! We’re all feeling healthier…and competitive. Thanks so much for posting this! We’re blogging about our experience if you want to check it out!

This is such a great plan, and I’d love to try to get it started with my coworkers. Do you have suggestions for adjusting the Weight Loss points though, to measure percentages rather than lbs? There’s a 100lb difference between the largest and smallest women in the group, so obviously the smaller woman would earn many fewer points per pound lost.

I have the same question as Sarahbee…at the end of the challenge, for the 2 cash prize winners – the Total Weekly Points winner…does that point total include points from Weight Loss or just weekly points? I’m doing this with a group of 12 starting tomorrow. We’re really excited!

I really like this idea and the accountability it provides but I think it would be better to go based on fat percentage than body weight. Just going based on body weight does not account for muscle gained; you could lose 5 pounds of fat and gain 6 pounds of muscle and you get zero points even though you might be working harder than others. For those of you that are members of health clubs most of the time they have people that will measure fat percentage for you or you can purchase a machine to do it on your own for like $30. Losing fat is great but for the people that don’t have a lot of fat to lose going based on fat percentage would help promote health for them too and not encourage them to just be the skinniest person but allow them to gain weight if needed to gain muscle.

• says

You really can do whatever is best for your group! We basically cut out all desserts and anything with refined sugar (which cuts out about half the recipes on this blog! Ha ha! Thankfully we gave ourselves one free sugar day!). We said that yogurt was still allowed . . . basically, just what works best for your group! Good luck!

I would also love to see your list of sweets. I’m starting the challenge on Monday with a friend. I’m really excited to get in shape before my husband gets home from his deployment. Thanks for posting this challenge!

• says

That is so cool! What a great thing to do before your husband gets home! :) Good luck with everything! As far as sugary sweets, you really can do whatever is best for your group! We basically cut out all desserts and anything with refined sugar (which cuts out about half the recipes on this blog! Ha ha! Thankfully we gave ourselves one free sugar day!). We said that yogurt was still allowed . . . you really have to kind of sit down with your group and figure out how strict you are going to be! Good luck!

Thank you so much for creating and posting this challenge. I started this journey with a group of facebook friends on Easter Sunday this year and have lost over 35 pounds. Today I hit my goal in fact! As silly as it sounds, “thank you for changing my life.” :)

My friends and I just finished the 8-week challenge. We modified it a little to include no alcohol 6 days a week. Between 6 of us, we lost 71 pounds in just 8 weeks. Two kids and six years later, I’m back down to my wedding day weight. My daily life has become so much healthier. This challenge was awesome. We’re taking a two week break and starting it all over again with more friends and co-workers. Thank you for introducing us to the challenge.

Stephanie Policare

• says

Hooray!!! Wow, your results are INCREDIBLE! We are so happy to hear that it was a success for you! Thanks for sharing your awesome experience!

I have a group of 3 starting today. I need to stay excited about a challenge and since I LOVE to win….This is perfect! Plus I use to be on Weight Watchers so the whole point thing made me smile!

I will post our results as we go along but I want to thank all of you for something new & fresh! I wish I would have found this a couple of weeks ago so that New Years’ Eve would have been our last day. Oh-well, better now than never!

Wish us luck – our goal is to all have the same # of points so that it’s a 3-way tie!

Now following the 6 sisters!

I just read how excited is everybody is about this blog. I’m going to church this morning and see how many of my SISTERS in CHRIST would like to start something like this for the New Year. Thank you for the blog, look forward to writing our results in the future. MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

Renee’

A friend showed this to me, and I can’t wait to get started tomorrow! I decided in years past that resolutions should never start on New Years Day. Very well put together. I wrote a blog post about starting this today, and in eight weeks I’m going to write another post about my success, because it will be a success!

Sarah. a bit.ly link I made of the exact blog entry: http://bit.ly/Vq5Q9Q

Thanks so much for this challenge, I have collected a group of ladies and we’re kicking it off next Monday, so excited, there will be over 15 of us…with a $10 pay in…so the chance to earn up to $75 and get healthy doing it…win win! so excited!

Hi Six Sisters! Some friends and I are trying to start a ROUND TWO of your challenge because the first round was so awesome and we just didn’t get enough. :) However when I click on the link to print the calendars, the format of the calendars is messed up this time with weird page breaks. Could you look at it pretty please so we can print our calendars? I appreciate it so much!!!!

22. Jenn says

Just wanted to say my friends and I did this a little after New Years (of 2013) and I found a lot of success with it! I lost 40 pounds! I felt like I could do it because, it was only 8 weeks (my mantra during it) but at the end I was kinda sad it was over. We all talked and I think we’re going to do this annually. We loved it. We found success and it wasn’t too hard. Thanks for in the inspiration and motivation, it was just the thing we all needed to treat ourselves right.

23. Petra says

I like the valuable information you supply to your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your weblog and test once more here regularly. I’m relatively sure I will learn a lot of new stuff right right here!
    Best of luck for the following!

Have a look at my web-site: weight loss tips

24. Theron says

It’s actually a great and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

my web site Slim XS

25. Lauren says

I like the helpful information you provide on your articles.

I’ll bookmark your weblog and take a look at once more here frequently. I’m somewhat sure I will
    be told many new stuff right right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

My web site Solpria Review

26. Jeff says

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something
    that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and
    extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

Also visit my blog post: Nutra Burn 10

27. ClaireBlue says

I’ve done this with a group twice now and it’s fantastic. A great motivator. My daughter and I are doing it casually and we have added “get 7 hours of sleep” to the daily requirements. Naps included! If you ever modify it, you might consider adding a sleep category.

28. Lauren Glenn says

I found this on pinterest and 8 weeks ago me and a group of friends and family decided to do this together as motivation and encouragement. Your print outs made everything so easy! We did it all online/via email on the honor system and it was great! We had so many people participate our total pot was $700 (pretty darn good motivation!!) Today marks the end of the competition and I am amazed at my results! Even as a busy mom with 3 kids (a 3.5 year old, 2 year old and 8 month old) I lost 24lbs and 10.96% of my body weight! Thanks again for the great idea! I think I am going to do another competition with my friends in January to stay motivated to lose my last 30lbs!

29. Anitra says

Besides brown rice, potatoes (boiled), beans and whole wheat bread
    includes complex carbohydrate foods that are rich in fiber.
    1 straightforward cleanse can be produced at home by adding a wedge of lemon to a pint
    glass of purified water along with 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
    In my opinion, the leg press is the best exercise for building thigh muscles
    because it keeps the sensitive muscles of the lower back pretty much out of the routine.

My website exercise routine for weight loss at home

30. Marquette Mower says

We have a group gearing up to start this on the 10th of month; we are so excited! Thank you for sharing this. I do have a question, I’m confusing myself here…when you say “So each week you will send in 3 numbers: Your weekly points, you weight lost for the week, and your total points for that week.”, what is the difference between the “weekly points” and “your total points for that week”? Is that the breakdown of the daily points vs the total number with the points for weight loss and/or maintenance?

31. Shela says

Success in permanent weightt loss is the result of developing a new set oof
    habits where you eat everything yoou lioke in the right amounts and frequencies, and it bewcomes habitual, automatic
    and ‘natural’. One of the most popular weight loss products are diet pills.
    I think people eem to band all these weight reduction products together in the same category,
    buut when it omes down to it, all diet pills arre not
    the same, they are most definitely not all made equal.
    Consistenly stick to healthy eating and exercise and I promise the weight will come off.

my blog; weight loss journal

32. Sherrie says

What’s up, constantly i used to check web site posts here early in the break of day,
    for the reason that i enjoy to find out more and more.

My site business magazines (Sherrie)

33. Keirstin says

Hey! I just wanted to say thank you for sharing all of this information and materials for free! I am starting this challenge with over 20 people in 5 different states. We are starting on Monday!

34. Kara says

Hello! Love your blog, and my husband and I are starting this challenge tomorrow! I just had a baby and am so excited to get back into the shape I was before baby :) You can follow my journey here: http://kdnotkatie.wordpress.com/

Thanks so much for the printables!!!