I never knew how difficult it would be to go on dates with my husband once we had a kid! We are lucky to get in a date every month or two! We decided that we would try to have a date night at least twice a month. Since it can be hard to find a sitter, I decided to compile a list of dates you can plan and do at home as well as out on the town, without breaking the bank!
We’ve done a lot of these dates and have had a blast! I’m sure you will too!
1. Make your own fondue. Use a fondue pot (or crock pot) and dip fresh fruit, cake, cookies, marshmallows, and pretzels in melted chocolate. Try this delicious recipe!
3. Fly kites. You can usually find them at the dollar store!
4. Try a new sport together. My husband is an avid snowboarder, so we hit the slopes! It was so fun to see him doing something he loves, even though I had quite a few wipe outs!
5. Have a game night. Pull out all of your board games for a friendly night of competition. Be sure to have some treats for the occasion, like our Gooey Almond and Coconut Chex Mix.
6. Be a tourist in your own city. Find what tourist attractions are in your city and spend the night acting like tourists, which includes taking cheesy pictures!
7. Go rollerblading (if the weather is bad, try an indoor skating rink). We found ours at a thrift store for just a few bucks!
8. Explore. Rent a four wheeler, snowmobile, scooter, waver runner or something you can do a little exploring on. You can often find deals online for cheap rentals! 9. Go to a thrift store. Each person gets $5 to spend! See who ends up with the best item(s)! 10. Have a picnic. If the weather doesn’t permit, lay out a blanket on the floor and eat in the living room!
11. Go see a play. Whether at your local community theater, high school or a big production, there is plenty of entertainment available!
13. Go to a park (if weather permits). Swing on the swings, play frisbee, or feed the ducks!
14. Check out a local museum. They usually don’t cost much, if anything, to get in!
15. Have a “crazy dinner.” Each person gets $5 (or whatever amount you decide) to spend on any food item at the grocery store for dinner. Come home and prepare your meal! You might end up with some random food! 16. Make ice cream sundaes. Head to the store and buy some vanilla ice cream and your favorite toppings. Relax and enjoy your tasty treat!
17. Go to a local sporting event. Luckily, sports are going on year around! Grab some snacks and head out to the ball game!
18. Treasure hunting. Head to the ATM and get out $10-$20. Drive around to some local yard sales and see what you end up with! There are tons on the weekends!
19. Go on a bike ride (if weather permits). If you don’t have a bike, check the classifieds for a great deal! You could even pack a lunch!
20. Have a living room camp out. Make a tent out of blankets, watch a movie and sleep out on an air mattress. As you can see, we had a little visitor!
23. Have a coupon date. Only eat or do activities you have coupons for. We used our local coupon book from the mail and went to the driving range and dinner for about $12 total! You can also check out our newest sponsor, Coupon Lynx, for some great deals!
24. Volunteer. Sign up to volunteer at a soup kitchen, retirement home or somewhere that could use a helping hand!
25. Go to a local fair or carnival. Be sure to bring some cash to play some games! 26. Take a free factory tour. You would be surprised what factories are around you! We toured a cheese factory and had free samples at the end!
27. Visit the zoo. If you don’t live near a zoo, go somewhere to see your local wildlife.
28. Take a drive. Get out of the house and take a drive. Take a look at nature or local scenery! For example, changing leaves in the fall, flowers blooming in the spring, etc. You might want to bring some Muddy Buddies in case you get hungry! 29. Have a movie marathon. We were able to get the Back to the Future Trilogy and TheLord of the Rings Trilogy for less than 10 dollars each online (both my husband’s choosing)! You might want to have some of our Snickers Popcorn to munch on!
30. Wii Game Night at home (or any other gaming system). Grab some food and drinks and stay in for the night playing your favorite games! Make some wagers on any sports you might be playing. We occasionally have a cute, little third wheel on our dates.
31. Go bowling. To make things a little more difficult, try different styles like only using your opposite hand, “granny” style, eyes closed, etc.
32. Make indoor s’mores and read campfire stories. If you don’t have a gas stove, you could light candles to cook your marshmallows over! As you can tell, I was pretty excited!
33. TV show marathon. Pick a TV show and get a whole season’s worth of DVDs (or use Netflix, you can get the first month free) and watch it together! Of course, you’ll need some popcorn so try our Cinnamon Bear Popcorn Recipe!
34. Theme night. Pick a theme for the night and center everything around it. For example, Mexican night. You could eat Mexican food and go salsa dancing! Our Chili’s Copycat Skillet Queso would be the perfect addition to your evening!
35. Try a new restaurant. We usually end up eating out at the same places. Pick somewhere neither of you have been and try it out! Who knows, it might be a new favorite!
36. Take some lessons. Try taking a lesson for a couples dance, pottery or a cooking class! 37. Restaurant hop. Go to a different restaurant for each course of the meal. Make three stops for an appetizer, main course and dessert. Take turns picking where to go!
38. Have a spa night. Since your husband/significant other probably isn’t into manicures or pedicures, you could try massages, bubble baths, etc. You can buy some white towels and robes to make it really official (I found my white towels for $3 each at Wal Mart.).
39. 20 questions. Write a list of 20 questions to ask each other or find one on the internet. Go over your answers afterward. Here is a list of 20 questions for married couples.
40. Make breakfast together and eat it in bed (you could do this while the kids are still sleeping). We love french toast! You can check out our Recipe Index for some delicious breakfast ideas!
41. Exercise together. Attend an exercise class at a local gym, take a walk or jog together or do something active!
42. Go for a test drive. Head to your nearest car dealership and test drive your dream car!
43. Take a hike.This website will show you places near you to hike!
44. Breakin’ records. Read through the Guinness Book of World Records together, and find something the two of you could potentially achieve as a couple and then do it together as a cheap date.
45. Visit a bakery. Go to a local bakery and pick out a treat for each other.