White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili & Sour Cream Sauce Recipe

Pin It  var r = document.URL;

Don't judge this by it's picture- I think that enchiladas are one of the hardest foods to photograph!

I needed a little break from all the Christmas cookies and treats that I have been devouring this week . . . are you as "sugared-out" as I am?
Most white chicken enchiladas that I have seen include a can of cream of chicken soup, which I still like, but when I came across this recipe that included a green chili and sour cream sauce, I was sold (green chili's are seriously one of my favorite foods- hence all the Mexican recipes!)!
Simple ingredients and easy-to-follow directions make this an easy weeknight meal. My family basically INHALED them. I dare say this is now our favorite enchilada recipe.

White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili & Sour Cream Sauce
Adapted from Joyful Momma's Kitchen

8 soft flour tortillas
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chillies
1 tsp dried cilantro
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Chili powder (optional)
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan using non-stick cooking spray.
2. Mix cooked chicken, chili powder (optional) and 1 cup of cheese together.  Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
3. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute.  Add broth and whisk until smooth.  Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in sour cream, can of chilies, cilantro, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.  Make sure that you don't bring this to a boil- you don't want to have curdled sour cream!
5. Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake 20-22 minutes and then place under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.
*I also added a little bit of medium cheddar cheese to the top of my enchiladas.
You Might Also Like:
  1. Jo says:

I’ve been craving mexican food ~ these look and sound delishous! I am making these Friday night when our neighbors come over. Thanks for sharing.

Jo

2. Wynnebaer says:

Made this last night and it was very good. We like a bit more spice though so maybe next time I’ll add some salsa to the chicken mixture to kick it up some.

3. Made these tonight, and might I say. LOVEEEEEEEEE! OK, I seriously HATE to cook, but having 6 kids (3 of our own, and 3 foster “hoping” to be our own), I have to do that every once in a while. This recipe was a HIT! The only thing I added was finely chopped fresh spinach to the sauce to sneak in some veggies. ;) ALL the kids ate it and LOVED it!

THANK YOU!!!!! I love you all. Seriously, totally in love with your site! :D

4. Sara says:

These were delicious! I’m vegetarian so for the chicken broth I used a couple teaspoons of McKay’s chicken seasoning added to 2 cups of water, and refried beans instead of chicken for the filling. They turned out great! Will definitely make again.

5. C says:

These are in the oven right now, they smell SO good. I used your Cafe Rio shredded chicken recipe so I’ve been drooling over the scent of the chicken in the crock pot for a while now.

6. I love chicken enchiladas with Verde sauce too, but I substitute corn tortillas for the flour. Flour tortillas tend to get gluey when covered with the sauce, which the corn do not.

• Catherine says:

CheBebe, I freeze these all the time. Make up a batch and put them in zippered freezer bags. When you’re ready to prepare them, just put them in a dish, cover them with the sauce and bake them up!

7. Catherine says:

Been making these for years, only thing I do different is add sauteed onions to the chicken and cheese mix…so easy and so delicious! First saw this recipe in one of my (many) USAF Squadron cookbooks from 25 years ago…hubby still asks for it!

8. SherlockVeteran says:

Hi! Found this recipe through Pinterest. Made it for my dinner and it was graced with Mmms and was said to be good! Thanks for such an easy recipe!

9. Lynn says:

I totally love this recipe but the only thing I change is the sour cream….I use plain Greek yogurt….a little less calories!

10. Marjorie says:

My husband and I made it for dinner tonight. Easy preparation.

He emphatically said “Don’t lose this recipe, I want you to make it again!”

My adult son asked if he could take the leftovers to work tomorrow.

11. Esther says:

I made these 2 weeks ago and because my husband absolutely loved them, I’m making them again today!! The only thing that I did different was that I put a can of corn inside the chicken mixture and verde sauce because I had no green chiles and I put the chili powder inside the sour cream mixture by accident. With that being said I will continue to make them the same way I did the last time. I also made a side of guacamole with this. The next day these tasted even more amazing. This is one of the greatest recipes of all time! Love it! <3 Thank you for sharing. =)

12. JO says:

We LOVE these – these are my Hubby’s fav enchilada recipe. We’ve made them for guests for dinner as well, and they’re always a huge hit. So good and SO easy!
    To make them a bit more filling, we always add a can of black beans and a can of corn to the chicken mixture, as well as a packet of taco seasoning and a squeeze of lime before filling the enchiladas.
    I also add a squeeze of lime and use fresh cilantro for the sauce.
    Super easy to adjust to make more to feed a large crowd, or less if it’s just for Hubby and I.