Pin It var r = document.URL;
Don’t judge this by it’s picture- I think that enchiladas are one of the hardest foods to photograph!
I needed a little break from all the Christmas cookies and treats that I have been devouring this week . . . are you as “sugared-out” as I am?
Most white chicken enchiladas that I have seen include a can of cream of chicken soup, which I still like, but when I came across this recipe that included a green chili and sour cream sauce, I was sold (green chili’s are seriously one of my favorite foods- hence all the Mexican recipes!)!
Simple ingredients and easy-to-follow directions make this an easy weeknight meal. My family basically INHALED them. I dare say this is now our favorite enchilada recipe.
White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili & Sour Cream Sauce
Adapted from Joyful Momma’s Kitchen
8 soft flour tortillas
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chillies
1 tsp dried cilantro
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Chili powder (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan using non-stick cooking spray.
2. Mix cooked chicken, chili powder (optional) and 1 cup of cheese together. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
3. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in sour cream, can of chilies, cilantro, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Make sure that you don’t bring this to a boil- you don’t want to have curdled sour cream!
5. Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake 20-22 minutes and then place under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.
*I also added a little bit of medium cheddar cheese to the top of my enchiladas.
You Might Also Like:
Other interesting food sites: