Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken and Honey Mustard Recipe

I am always looking for ways to "spice up" plain ol' chicken breasts and this one seriously became one of my top 3 favorites! Whenever we go to Outback Steakhouse, my husband always gets a big steak and I always order their Alice Springs Chicken. Then when I found this recipe, I decided to put it to the test to see if it tastes anything like the restaurant's chicken . . .
I dare say that it was almost better!
And it's easy to make . . .
So if you need a meal that will impress your dinner guests, look no further because here it is!
Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
  • seasoning salt
  • 6 slices bacon, cut in half
  • 1/4 cup mustard
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons mayo
  • 1/2 tablespoon dried onion flakes
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 2 cups shredded Colby/Jack cheese

Sprinkle and rub the chicken breasts with seasoning salt.  Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
In a small bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayo and dried onion flakes.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Place chicken in the skillet and saute for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned.  Move chicken to an 11x7 inch or 9x9 inch pan.
Apply the honey mustard to each breast, then layer with mushrooms, bacon, and shredded cheese.
Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is done.

**When my mom makes this, she makes tops each individual chicken breast with sauce, bacon, mushrooms, and cheese so it looks pretty . . . I made mine "casserole style" and just spread out the sauce, bacon, mushrooms, and cheese all over the place (I'm lazy like that). Either way, it tastes the same! :)

Serve with honey mustard sauce.
Recipe from Amy's Finer Things

Honey Mustard Sauce Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
  • 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice

1. Mix the mayo, yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, honey, onion flakes and lemon juice together in a bowl. Cover and chill in refrigerator overnight. Serve with chicken.

Looking For Other Chicken Dishes? You Might Also Like:

Crispy Chicken With Creamy Italian Sauce and Pasta

Oven Fried Chicken Recipe

Pineapple Teriyaki Grilled Chicken

Baked Crispy Coconut Chicken with Sweet and Spicy Apricot Sauce

Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken

1. Brynna says:

I order this everytime I go to Outback. The picture looks VERY different from their’s, but I am definately going to try it and see how it compares.

• Jeri says:

Made this yesterday and thought there would be enough leftover for tonight’s dinner……………no such luck. It really was delicious! Hubby & I loved it. Only problem is…………..I have to cook tonight. :)

2. Anonymous says:

I am not a big mushroom fan. Me and my sister always make it with grilled onions on top instead. It is still amazing!

3. Karlie says:

OMG, this is my favorite dish at Outback! But the one where I grew up closed and I haven’t been to one in years! DEFINITELY going to make this. So glad I found your blog.

4. Heidi says:

I make this all the time. We love it. I make it like your Mom though. And I have found that the Chick-fil-A Roasted Honey BBQ sauce (or something like that, and it’s kept behind the counter) makes it taste awesome!!! Whenever I go to Chick-fil-A, I ask for extras and take home the rest to use when I make this.

5. Chels says:

This was delicious, I made it the other day, and it was a huge hut. I swapped turkey bacon and used light mayo and cheese to try and cut out some calories. Still totally delicious, thank you so much for sharing this recipe, it was very much so enjoyed!

6. SMOOCHIE says:

the recipe just says mustard – does that mean yellow mustard? for the sauce it specifies, but i didn’t see it specified in the chicken recipe – let me know, thanks!

7. Betts says:

This IS an awesome recipe! I use it for company suppers. It’s even better if you marinate the chicken in the morning in Worcestershire sauce/oil/balsamic vinegar – adds a lot.

8. niclyn says:

I made this tonight and it was fantastic! I didn’t realize that I needed to make the honey mustard sauce to sit overnight, so it only had 3 hours. I don’t think it made difference, it was the best part. Thanks for the recipe.

9. Cyndy says:

Just made this and it was very good. I would definitely make again. Didn’t have any mushrooms in the house so I didn’t use them. I would next time. I also had chicken cutlets that were already sliced really thin. It would have been better to have them a little thicker. I used yellow mustard in the sauce that went on the chicken and it was very good. I think any kind of mustard would work, it would just give it a different taste. Didn’t bother with the extra sauce. I could see this being a great company dish as you could prep ahead and then just put it in the oven when needed.

10. Unknown says:

Started to make chicken and my girls said, ‘chicken, again!”. So I turned to this recipe and oh my! DELICIOUS! This is my girls’ favorite at Outback. The sauce is identical. My husband and I skipped the cheese and the bacon and it was still yummy. Thanks so much for sharing!

11. I made this tonight and was pretty pleased. I haven’t had Alice Springs Chicken enough to remember how it tasted but Husband said it was “close”. Upon taking his first bite, he looked at me and said “THIS is tasty!” I’m pretty sure this will now make a regular showing at our table. Thanks!

12. Chelsea says:

We made this last night and OMG IT IS SO STINKIN GOOD! We sauteed our chicken in the bacon grease (can you just feel your arteries clogging with yummy goodness?) and holy cow–totally worth it. Next time, we’re going to add caramelized onions to the mix. We’re also going to attempt shredding the chicken and making quesadillas! Shared the recipe with my MIL and she can’t wait to try it.

13. Duck Girl says:

Made this tonight. Totally LOVED!!! This is my favorite dish at the Outback and it totally satisfied me! Hubby didn’t love it, but it’s also not his favorite dish and he’s not a fan of mustard anything. :) The honey mustard mix tasted identical. Thank you!!!

14. Missy says:

I made this tonight and it was fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing! I will put this on the rotation for dinner for sure! Love it!

15. Kay Ailey says:

Made this for dinner tonight, very delicious the whole family loved it. I didn’t bother with the extra sauce though. Thanks this is a winner!

16. Babs says:

I am not a chicken lover but had to cook some chicken for dinner and came upon this recipe.
    it was delicious. will definitely make it again. The family loved it.
    I did cut on the cheese

17. Jessie's says:

I made this tonight. It was great. I left out the mushrooms because I’m not a fan and neither is my boyfriend. I did however cook little red potatoes and carrots and put them on the bottom of the 9*9 pan. It was delicious. And like I read above, no leftovers for me either. I’ll have to make more next time.

• Cyd says:

We have a lot of side dishes on our blog that would go well with this. A salad goes well, some potatoes and any of our veggie recipes. Hope this helps. On the front page of our blog click on Categories. Then you see salads, sidedishes, and all kinds of ideas.

18. Arona Henderson says:

Is the extra sauce necessary or will this be tasty enough without more sauce. One reviewer suggested putting cut up cooked pink potatoes and carrots on the bottom of the casserole dish. That sounded like a nice idea.
    I am planning to make the recipe and want to decide if I need the extra sauce. Thanks so much.

19. Sherry says:

I am making this tonight! Looks so yummy! I cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot last night. Will it make a difference if I use cooked chicken??

• Cyd says:

It will not need to cook as long since your chicken is already cooked. You will want to be sure everything is heated through and the cheese is melted.

20. Deb says:

This was outstanding. The only changes I made was no Lawry’s salt (I didn’t have) and next time I will put the cheese on the last 10 or 15 minutes. Hubby loved also and it is a keeper.

21. kiki says:

I made this today and it was amazing. The kids loved it. I made some nachos on the side and added some scallions. Thank you so much for this recipe. I will definitely make this again.

22. Mellisa says:

This recipe looks awesome…always wondered what was in the chicken….as coming from the real Alice Springs in Australia i never felt the need to try our namesake dish when i visited an outback steakhouse…needless to say this is also in no way an actual dish native to Alice Springs!…Looking forward to trying it!