Christmas, Traditions

12 Days of Christmas Traditions: Crazy Dinner

-12 days of Christmas Traditions-
Day 10: Elyse“Crazy Dinner”
 My name is Elyse.  I am the 3rd oldest of the sisters.  My husband and I just moved into a cute, little house in Brigham City, UT.   My husband graduated this last spring from Utah State University and is currently working for a company called Wayfair.com.  He plans on going back to school this year to receive his MBA.  I am a stay-at-home mom.  I think it is the best job in the world!  Our son, Camden, is 20 months old and we are expecting another little one in June of 2012.

Growing up a family of 8, we didn’t go out to eat much as it would be very expensive.  Instead, every holiday season our family would have, what we called, a “crazy dinner.”  I’m sure my mom came up with it after spending so many hours in the kitchen cooking over the holidays, that she finally needed a night off.

For our “crazy dinner,”  our parents would give us each $5 and take us to the grocery store.  The only rule was to pick out ANYTHING you wanted to eat for dinner as long as it was $5 or under!  As a kid, this was the coolest thing ever!

(Our mom has shopped at the same grocery store on the same day of the week for 20 years.  We knew this place like the back of our hands!)

We would go to the store and everyone would pick out their special dinner item.  We would combine our money with other siblings if we wanted to get something really big.  We would rush home from the store and start cooking everything!  While the food was all cooking (or microwaving) we would set the table, light a few candles and turn off all the lights.  We thought it was so neat to have a candlelight dinner!

Many of our meals through the years consisted of frozen pizzas, egg rolls, and food our parents wouldn’t usually let us eat for dinner.  It made for quite the “crazy dinner!”
I can’t wait to start this silly tradition with my little family (and I’ll be the one going for the egg rolls!).

If you like our recipes then you will LOVE our Cookbook!!!

Cookbook Image

Our cookbook makes a wonderful gift (and it’s priced right at less than $18!) . . . you can check it out HERE.

Comments

What a fun idea!! Our family used to have “Whatever You Want Night” on nights when things were crazy (5 kids). It was similar, we would all go in the cupboards and my mom would make us whatever we wanted. Yours sounds so much cooler ; ) !! I would love to do that with our kids one day!

My husband and I did something like this last year for Christmas eve, just the two of us. I had stuffed chicken breasts and he had lobster. yum!

Oh my goodness I am in love with this tradition and so am going to do it this year. How fun!! I would love to share this one my blog. Are you guys up for a guest post or maybe a featurette of all the awesome traditions you’ve been sharing?

Thanks so much for linking up!

This post made me laugh out loud! I can only imagine what my family and friends would bring! I think I may encourage everyone to bring their favorite food to our “traditional” family and friends’ Christmas dinner! I’m guessing we’ll be heavy in desserts and appetizers!

5. Katie Clark says

I remember doing something like this for a youth activity at church and loved it! I have never thought about doing it with my family. We are totally going to do this when our son gets older :)

6. Sherry says

I am from a family of six kids and one of my fondest food memories was playing resteraunt to clean out the leftover because there was seldom enough leftover to feed everyone. My mom would make a “menu that listed all the specials ( the leftover from that week). Once the specials were all gone if there were still customer that needed to be feed, there was scrambled eggs or peanut butter sandwiches.

Myself I like to transform my leftovers, just a serving of leftover meat can make quesadila of a frittatta or Quiche for a family. Left over vegetables and either pork, chicken or meatloaf turns into lomein. Sloppy joes or meatloaf goes into marinara,

7. Marie Thomson says

I do something like this every once and a while when I don’t feel like cooking. We have banana splits a lot! I used to see your cute mom at the local Smiths. Hi Cyd!