This recipe was a staple in our house every holiday season while we were growing up- a couple of years ago I even made about 10 batches of it and took it around to our neighbors as a Christmas gift. It is easy to throw together, the kids can help make it, and it is finished and ready to eat in less than 15 minutes.
- 1 (14 oz-17 oz) box of Rice OR Corn Chex cereal
- 7 ounce bag of sweetened coconut
- 5 ounce bag of almonds (about 1⅓ cup)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ sticks (3/4 cup) margarine or butter
- 1¼ cups light corn syrup (like Karo syrup)
- Dash of salt
- Spray a LARGE (the biggest you can find!) bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in the entire box of Chex cereal, coconut, and almonds. Gently mix together.
- Mix together the sugar, butter, light corn syrup, and dash of salt in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a full boil, turn heat down to medium, and cook for three minutes, stirring constantly. Pour over the cereal mixture in the big bowl and stir evenly.
- Spread cereal evenly on wax paper and let cool (even though it’s delicious to eat while warm, too!).
- Once it cools, I bag it up in little cellophane bags and share with neighbors and friends. Or put it in a bowl and dig in!
- You can also store it in an airtight container or Ziploc bag and it lasts for a couple of days.
Equipment needed for this recipe:
Here is a video on how to quickly make this treat:
Looking For More Recipes Like This One? Here are some you might enjoy!