Creamy Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Recipe

This recipe seriously tastes like something you would order at an Italian restaurant . . . my whole family absolutely loved it. The flavor is so delicious. I loved it because it was ready in less than 25 minutes! We are definitely adding this to our meal rotation!
  • 1 lb. bowtie pasta (or any kind of pasta would work!)
  • 1-1 1/2 lbs. cooked chicken, sliced or cubed (I just sauteed some while the noodles cooked)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, pressed or crushed
  • 4 Tbs. butter
  • 1 cup half and half, room temperature
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tsp. seasoned salt
  • 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, sliced
  • 1 cup mozzarella, shredded

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  While it cooks, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook the onion and garlic till soft.  Whisk in half and half and chicken broth.  Stir in seasoned salt and mozzarella.  Lower the heat to keep the sauce from boiling.

Add the chicken and red pepper slices to the sauce.  Stir frequently and keep and eye on the heat so it doesn’t boil.  Drain the cooked pasta and stir it together with the sauce.  Add chopped parsley or basil when serving.

Adapted from Eat At Home.

1. Jane says:

I’m getting pretty hungry, it’s almost dinner time here. And, I think I just found what I’m making! Yum!

Stopping by from Think Pink Sundays!

2. Just Sherry says:

I made this for dinner tonight. It was ok as is. Next time I will add a second jar of peppers, a 1/2 tsp of black pepper, and use 1/2 Cup of mozzarella and a 1/2 C of parmesan instead of 1 cup of mozzarella.

3. Erin says:

Tried this last night and made a few changes based on what I had and it was great! I pureed 1 1/2 roasted red peppers (I roast mine on the stove) and added the puree to the sauce before adding the pasta. Then I added another 1 1/2 roasted red peppers chopped. I didn’t have any seasoned salt so I just used kosher salt, ground black pepper and sweet paprika. I only had 1/2 cup fat free shredded moz which doesn’t melt very well so I used that and another half cup of shredded 6 cheese italian blend. All that with some crispy browned skillet chicken with a tiny bit of chipotle powder – YUM!

4. KH218 says:

I made this tonight for dinner and the sauce never really thickened up and seemed to be a little oily. Did I do something wrong? Otherwise, pretty good!

• Camille says:

Sorry that it never thickened up for you! I haven’t had that problem. I would suggest just cooking it a little big longer at a low temperature and see if it thickens up? And as far as it being oily, I don’t know why! Sorry about that!

• Jaime says:

I made this tonight and had the same problem. It never thickened up! The taste was great, but it was more like soup! :(

• Six Sisters says:

I googled this for you and there were a few helpful ideas –
      one is regular milk can be substituted but the dish will not be as rich. Another is for one cup of half and half use 7/8 cups of milk and 7/8 Tablespoon melted butter (cooled). Can also used canned evaporated milk. A recipe calling for half and half requires the additional butter fat content it has over milk. So, even if you use canned evaporated milk as a substitute you will need to increase the butter fat by adding butter. Mix about 1 tablespoon melted and cooled butter into each cup of milk used. You still won’t get the exact result called for in the recipe but hopefully it will pass.

Good luck with your healthier version of this recipe! :)
      -The Six Sisters