- 1 German Chocolate Cake Mix (we used Betty Crocker)
- 3 eggs
- 1⅓ cups water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 (14 oz) bag of Kraft Caramels (or any other caramels you like)
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅓ cup butter (which is about ¾ of a cube)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Mix together cake mix as directed on the box adding the eggs, water, and vegetable oil. Pour half of the batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- While it bakes, unwrap all the caramels (don't have your husband help- he will eat half of them. I am totally speaking from experience). Put the caramels, milk, and butter in a sauce pan and melt over low heat, stirring constantly until caramel is melted and smooth.
- Pour the caramel on the cake as soon as it is finished baking. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and pecans on top of the caramel. Spread the remaining half of the prepared cake mix batter on top. Bake for 20 more minutes at 350 degrees.
Need a new 9×13 dish?
You can find our favorite one HERE