Snickers Cake {Gooey Caramel Chocolate Cake}

This week was Sister #4’s birthday (a.k.a. Steph!)…
Happy Birthday Stephy! We love you!
Anyway, this is the birthday cake that she requested . . . it is one of our family’s favorite desserts! We have always called it “Snickers Cake”, but I have also heard it called “Candy Bar Cake” or “Gooey Caramel Cake” . . . whatever it’s name is, it’s delicious! It doesn’t have any frosting, but trust me- it doesn’t need it because the middle is full of so much gooey-goodness!
Snickers Cake {Gooey Caramel Chocolate Cake}
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8-10
  • 1 German Chocolate Cake Mix (we used Betty Crocker)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1⅓ cups water
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 (14 oz) bag of Kraft Caramels (or any other caramels you like)
  • ¼ cup milk
  • ⅓ cup butter (which is about ¾ of a cube)
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  1. Mix together cake mix as directed on the box adding the eggs, water, and vegetable oil. Pour half of the batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
  2. While it bakes, unwrap all the caramels (don't have your husband help- he will eat half of them. I am totally speaking from experience). Put the caramels, milk, and butter in a sauce pan and melt over low heat, stirring constantly until caramel is melted and smooth.
  3. Pour the caramel on the cake as soon as it is finished baking. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and pecans on top of the caramel. Spread the remaining half of the prepared cake mix batter on top. Bake for 20 more minutes at 350 degrees.

Need a new 9×13 dish?
You can find our favorite one HERE

Here are more of our favorite cake recipes:
Pumpkin Pie Cake
German Chocolate Lava Cake
Boston Cream Poke Cake
No Bake Eclair Cake
Chocolate Caramel Toffee Crunch Cake

Sweets and Treats Cover

We’re so excited to announce that our 4th cookbook is available for SALE!!!
Sweets and Treats with Six Sisters’ Stuff
This cookbook is all our very favorite recipes: DESSERTS!
Get it HERE.

Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

These look amazingly delicious! I am a site manager on, an online how-to community. Our food editor admires your work, and since you already have gorgeous photos and a write-up, I thought you might be interested in sharing your work on our site as well. You should consider submitting this (or any of your other desserts) as an entry to our Desserts Contest.

I would be happy to feature it on our site if you decide to post the instructions there and help get it noticed among our 13.8 million viewers. Let me know if you have any questions!

2. jessie hansen says

I also grew up calling this turtle cake, but I have yet to make it for my husband because he always has some lame thing to say about german chocolate always having coconut and he hates coconut even though this doesn’t ahve any blah blah blah… I should make it tomorrow.

• Terri H says

Just use a normal chocolate cake mix, the only difference usually is that the color for the German Chocolate cake is lighter, some say that the flavor is not as strong of a chocolate flavor as a normal chocolate cake is.

3. Janice S. says

I just made this with devils food cake mix and my husband and I sampled a piece each. Oh my! This is decadent cake – a true dessert. So good still warm from the oven; I’m hoping it’s as good tomorrow night for my guests.

4. kelly says

i am DUMB….

i had a generic cake mix that was a little shy of a betty crocker box 16oz and so i just thought a 9×13 would be to big and used a 9×9 and GAHHHH i cooked it a extra 15 min on the second time/top
    and its still raw-ish in the middle
    mad at myself ill try again and FOLLOW directions #hides

smells good still and its still edible for me and the kids LOL

• Cyd says

The other half of the cake mix is the top layer. These are loaded with gooey goodness inside. The chocolate chips, caramel, and nuts are in between the 2 layers of cake!! It’s our favorite. We have it for a lot of birthday parties and we are big frosting people. It’s so good that we often skip the frosting cake and go for this snickers cake!!

• Cyd says

Oh good! I was a little concerned. It’s always pretty thick like a piece of cake. I couldn’t figure out how it came out thin like bars! Hope it all turns out ok and tastes yummy! We love this dessert! Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

5. Grace says

Hi guys-
    Anyone from the UK or Ireland made this? If so what caramel did you use? I’m thinking the carnation caramel dessert topping? Also are the caramels chewy ones like milk duds? Thanks!

• Grace says

I’ve bought everything except the caramels as I couldn’t find anything similar here- gonna try it with the tinned caramel and see what happens! Anyone in the uk if you’ve made this please let me know what caramel you used thanks!

I made this cake and there was no cooling instructions on when to take out of the pan? I tried to do my normal and flip over and pop out and part of the cake was not cooked or still too warm? I put it back in the oven to cook more. Can you tell me do you freeze then take cake out of the pan? Leave in pan only to eat? I wanted to use this recipe for a cake dash ( donated for woman and children that have been violently abused ) and it sounded glamorous enough to choose this recipe. I will need to put a chocolate ganage on cakes and stack and decorate ( top with cut up stinkers bars and drizzle with a salted caramel and then more ganage drizzle..Can you give me any advice? I make pretty stunning cakes but this one need to be oozy gooey madness…That is why I picked your recipe…

• Cyd says

Hi Alicia, this cake is not the type of cake you flip upside down and serve on another plate. It’s just like the name…Gooey Caramel Chocolate cake. You may be able to loosen the edges after it is cooled and see if you can remove it carefully that way. We have this cake at so many family parties and we just serve it right from the 9 x 13 pan.